Kohler Shower Dribble When Tub is Filling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kohler Shower Dribble When Tub is Filling

I need some help identifying a shower head water dribble when the tub is filling. I'm in the process of selling my house and the inspection report identified a plumbing issue. The tub and shower are separate, with the shower having 2 heads. The dripping is coming from the showerhead on the opposite side of control valves, Picture 3. The same head dribbles when the sprinkling system goes on. Evidently this issue was there when we bought the house, but missed by my inspector. I'm fairly handy and can do most things myself. Before replacing an existing mixing valve I need to make sure that is the cause of the dribbling. Hopefully one of you pro's have run across this issue before.
    Any help would be deeply appreciated.

No pro.
    Could you open and remove the mixing valve core and examine if a foreign particle is causing water to leak by.
    Or just replace the mixing valve cores if they are old.
    What is sprinkling system?
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

It's the lawn irrigation system. When one of the stations turns on I get dribbling from the shower. Also, when the tub is filling. This leads me to assume its's a pressure issue. I will take the valve out to check for any foreign particles, but doubt if that would be the cause of the Issue. I think any debris in the valve would cause a constant leak, which I did have in the upstairs shower.

Comment

Verify your yard water supply has an anti-siphon device installed
        Funny you did not discuss lawn irrigation initially as part of your problem.

Cactus Man

Comment

• Richard S
          Richard S commented
          Editing a comment
          I did have that in the original post. It's right in the middle of the post after Picture 3. The same head dribbles when the sprinkling system goes on.
          You must have missed it.

It could be that your shower head has a pressure balance valve that's spring loaded ... The newer shower heads have them ( anti scald ) ... Or the shower valve has a spring loaded one .. where the spring is worn , weak causing blowby when cold water is ran . In your case the tub - lawn sprinkler .

You could swap the shower heads to find out if that's the cause ... or find a diagram of your shower valve and see if there's one that might be causing your shower head to dribble.

Comment

Got it fixed! Turned out to be the GP500520 Pressure Balancing Unit Cartridge. Replaced it yesterday, no more dribble!

Comment

Thanks for returning and sharing the solution to your challenge.
            Your solution may help others in the futrure

Cactus Man

Comment

Working...
            X