Shark bite VS Compression fitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shark bite VS Compression fitting

I had to replace the angle stop... the shut off valve at a toilet.
    Long story.. my dog freaked with the recent storm and broke it!

I went to Lowe's and it seems the shark bite has just about replaced the familiar
    compression fitting angle stop/shut off valve for 1/2" copper.

Not really an issue there was enough copper for the fitting to work.
    Actually quite an easy fix.
    I also replaced the line from the valve to the toilet at the same time.
    Do it right the first time!

I put toilet paper under the fittings and behold! no leaks.

So..are we slowly moving away from compression fittings?

Cactus Man

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
    ... So..are we slowly moving away from compression fittings?
    Seems thathey are.
    In the basement open ceiling, in case the connection separated, I used a strap to hold the SharkBite fitting onto a freeze-resistant spigot.
    (Outdoor spigot froze because the gardehose fitting oxidized onto the threads and could not be removed.)
    Last edited by Robert Gift; 10-17-2022, 10:36 AM.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

I replace compression stops with compression stops. About the only time I have used a Push fitting is on CPVC.
      I have two sleeve pullers on the truck, the first one I pull out is the Ferrule Blaster, and if that doesn't pull the sleeve, back to the old standby, the Pasco sleeve puller.
      I like that the compression stops lock into place, and are good for decades. Sharkbite style pivot and the small rubber seal may last for a long time, but we don't know that for sure yet. I must replace about ten stops a week while doing my service work.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ferrule-blaster-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	136.9 KB ID:	754499

Edited the picture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pasco-sleeve-puller.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	754500
      Last edited by Terrill; 11-04-2022, 02:01 PM.

Comment

not a fan of the sharkbite angle stops. problem is there is nothing to keep them from swiveling down the road and that becomes a potential leak. plus when removing the original compression stop, there should be a depression in the copper where the ferrule was crushed.

I too own the ferrule buster and it's a cleaver design, like a min caulking gun. as log as there is room to fit it in, most will come off.

2 months ago the rep for brasscraft was giving out sweat on angle stops at a seminar they put on for the new heat pump water heaters. . What's funny is that they don't stock them at any of my local supply houses. i grabbed a few just for kicks and will strip them out for the stem and packing. no idea why anyone would spec a sweat angle stop. Can you imagine what's involved trying to solder on 300 stops a day when the water is still draining out of the building.

Rick
        phoebe it is

Comment

Why is there a link to XX forum on the Ferrule Blaster package. Do they sell them with a link to the forum or was that inserted into the photo at a later time to promote that forum?

Based on the font it looks like the photo was modified at a later date.
          Last edited by blue_can; 11-02-2022, 11:09 PM. Reason: Removed reference to forum being promoted

Comment

• Bob D.
            Bob D. commented
            Editing a comment
            Good catch. It's gone. You've got an Eagle Eye. :-)

• blue_can
            blue_can commented
            Editing a comment
            You have to admit - it's interesting to observe the sneaky methods people employ to try and push something

• PLUMBER RICK
            PLUMBER RICK commented
            Editing a comment
            I actually noticed it on there and thought to myself, they didn't invent it. It was a plumber who came up with that puller. I spoke to the sales rep for the company a couple years back and gave them some ideas to make it even better. It's my go to puller that gets it done when i can get it in place.

Rick.

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          not a fan of the sharkbite angle stops. problem is there is nothing to keep them from swiveling down the road and that becomes a potential leak. plus when removing the original compression stop, there should be a depression in the copper where the ferrule was crushed.

I too own the ferrule buster and it's a cleaver design, like a min caulking gun. as log as there is room to fit it in, most will come off.

2 months ago the rep for brasscraft was giving out sweat on angle stops at a seminar they put on for the new heat pump water heaters. . What's funny is that they don't stock them at any of my local supply houses. i grabbed a few just for kicks and will strip them out for the stem and packing. no idea why anyone would spec a sweat angle stop. Can you imagine what's involved trying to solder on 300 stops a day when the water is still draining out of the building.

Rick
          That ferrule blaster looks interesting - not seen that before. I have the Pasco puller. Had to help a neighbor out a few months ago - they decided to repair their toilet and replace the stop leaving behind the old sleeve and nut. However it leaked and their plumbing skills did not allow them to resolve this. It was late at night and they could not turn the water on so knocked on my door asking for help.

Went over with the Pasco puller and took care of the issue quickly.

Told them to do jobs they don't have experience doing earlier in the day so there is time to resolve issues before it gets late and they get stuck without water or whatever. Sometimes I find people who don't do this type of stuff frequently assume things are going to go exactly to plan.

Comment

Working...
          X