X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipe Bursting Fiasco

Since there has been some talk of the large drain cleaning chains on this forum, I thought you guys would be interested in this:

The company I work for is currently involved in a repipe of a major hotel. I talked to the foreman we have assigned to the project, and he told me the following story. I not going to use the company name, because I was not on that site, but the foreman who related it to me is very reliable.

The plan was to repipe the east wing of the hotel, while the west wing opperated, then switch over.

In an effort to save money the hotel contracted out the sewer replacement to (let's call them) Company X, who planned to use pipe bursting replacement.

After researching and locating the sewer, Company X determined that there were seperate laterals for the east and west side. The plan was to replace the eastside lateral from the property line, through the main lobby (which was to remain opperational) and into the construction zone.

There were two problems with this:

1) In order to get through the lobby they had to pass through several large footings. Apperenty you can't burst through a footing because the old pipe has no where to go. This meant that the main lobby had to be sectioned off and excavated.

Then it got worse:

2) All of the plumbing on the west wing began to back-up. The lateral they were in the process of replacing served both wings.

The hotel immediatly began to bring in portable toilets, as I'm sure guests began leaving.

Needless to say, sometimes you get what you pay for.

the dog
    the dog

dog. this is exactly why i do my own video prior to any kind of estimate. i need to locate all the tees that tie into the main and test them for flow. some are c/o. some are live. also i need to check for offsets and the path of travel. you're right. a bursting head will not pass through a concrete footing. you need to enlarge the hole around the pipe and concrete.
    the person to blame is company x. sounds like lack of experience.

rick.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK:
      dog. this is exactly why i do my own video prior to any kind of estimate. i need to locate all the tees that tie into the main and test them for flow. some are c/o. some are live. also i need to check for offsets and the path of travel. you're right. a bursting head will not pass through a concrete footing. you need to enlarge the hole around the pipe and concrete.
      the person to blame is company x. sounds like lack of experience.

rick.
      Rick,

My company would have been more than happy to locate the lines and/or replace the sewer. But Company X's price was far below ours. Sometimes doing it right is a little more expensive, but most of the time doing it wrong is most expensive.

the dog
      the dog

Comment

Working...
      X