Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNDERQUALIFIED CONTRACTORS, PLUMBERS, INSPECTORS.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ToUtahNow:
    Plumber,

Part of the problem is the homeowners can't fix anything right now without the Defense complaining evidense was destroyed.

Thes units have between 3 and 6 bathrooms so for now they have to live without the use of these tubs. These tubs are located in what is called the Her's Master Bathroom. I believe some of these condos are as larges as 6,5oo sq. ft.

There is also a His Master Bathrom with a smaller tub and then at least one additonal tub in another bathroom. Some unit's have two Her's and two His's master bathroom and then a couple of others around the unit.

Yes this is a SoVent system and the main stack vents through the roof. This is one of the concerns about adding a floor sink in the repair. Depending on how close they sized the the DWV system, just adding some floor sinks may reguire new dedicated stacks.

Mark
    After reading your posts after mine, I get the situation. Some of us like: Plumber, Plumber Rick, et al. are plumbers. We care, not only about our work, but the health and safety of the public. That is our responsibility, because we are plumbers. You, however, are nothing but an insurance adjuster. I wasted my time tring to find a solution for you problem. You don't want a solution, nor do you care. It might hurt your client's case. I offered advice because I will always help another plumber, and the health of the public.

There are those on this forum who feel I'm an ***. So be it. But when it comes to plumbing, I take it seriously. You don't care about plumbing, just law suits.

Good day Sir.

the dog.
    the dog

Comment

Mark,

Are there any fresh air intakes on the roof?
      Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

plumbdog10,

There you go with your people skills again. No I in fact am a plumbing and general contractor who is licensed in multiple States. In addition, I am certified through IAMPO, ICBO, ICC, AWWA, RWAU, and a few others.

I owned a plumbing contracting business for 20+ years plus at one time also owned a Developement company, General Copntracting business, a Maintanance business and a property managment business. For medical reasons I can no longer run 400+ employees. And yes I've spent my time in a service truck for both plumbing and HVAC.

I am now hired to find solutions to problems caused by trades people who do not do their work properly. I am one of the few experts who works both Plantiff and Defense work.

When I started working as an expert in 1988 I was the first non-engineer to work as a plumbing expert. I was also one of only about six plumbing experts in all of California. Today there are probably 100 or so plumbing experts in California but still less than 10 are non engineers.

About 50% of my work is for Plaintiffs and about 50% is for Developers, Generals, Plumbers or Manufacturers. Regardless of who my client is I try to find the best way (not cheapest)to fix the job while still ensuring the work with satisfy the requirements of the Code.

I would not have a job to do if it were not for people who cheat to get work by using inferior materials and/or labor.

Yes I work within the Case Management Orders which are ordered by the Courts. To do anything else would not be fair to the Defense who ultimately will have to pay the bill for the poorly installed or designed project.

When you talk about me trying to save the clients case you are not stopping to grasp the reasoning behind it. It's called playing fair and being honest. The only time I am allowed to make repairs is as it relates to life safety issues and even then I have to shut the system down until the other side has an opportunity to get their expert out to observe.

Mark

[ 08-03-2005, 12:19 AM: Message edited by: ToUtahNow ]
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Plumber,

It's a pretty standard SoVent system from what I've seen so far. The Main SoVent stack vents through the roof and there are some Aerators and DeAerators installed in the walls.

I do have some areas which ended up half full of concrete from a poorly proteceted stack but the sewer gas is not limited to those areas.

In my next go round of testing I'm planning on looking to see if we might have a problem with negative pressures. On a windy day if someone cracks a window on one of the top floors it may be forcing gas out of the system through an air admittance valve.

Mark

Comment

MARK,
            I GUESS I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE THE DOG WANTS TO BITE. "YOU'RE AN AMBULANCE CHASER, AND I'M THE ONLY QUALIFIED PLUMBER IN THE STATE".

I THINK THE DOG NEEDS TO GO TO VEGAS AND BURN OFF SOME OF HIS ANGER WITH "THAT SPECIAL GIRL".
            MAYBE YOU CAN HELP US BOTH?
            MAYBE WE CAN CALL THE DOG CATCER TO PICK HIM UP.

DOG, IF YOUR SO SMART, THEN WHY ARE YOU WORKING FOR SOMEONE ELSE FOR WAGES.

LOOKS LIKE MARK AND I ARE THE SMART ONES. WE BOTH WORK FOR OURSELVES FOR MORE THAN WAGES!

WE WON'T HEAR FORM THE DOG THIS LATE, HE HAS TO PUNCH IN EARLY.

YOU SEE DOG, I CAN BITE TOO. WHAT GOES AROUND, COMES AROUND. JUST LIKE TURD CHASING.

RICK

Comment

" THE,RE ARE THOSE ON THIS FORUM THAT THINK I,M AN ***'

it,s proven with every post ! what size saddle do we buy you? i,ll through in $50.00 for one.
              any one else interisted in this pool?
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Rick,

LOL

Plumbdog10 does not appear to be rabid so I’m sure while his bite may sting a little it doesn’t do any lasting harm. In a jobsite environment we would likely get along just fine. However, the keyboard possibly gives him a certain sense of power he does not have elsewhere.

If I were the only one who plumbdog10 had attacked on this site I might feel insulted but after being here for a little bit I see it’s his MO. Either way I’m sure it is not our accomplishments that make plumbdog10 bark but the lack of his own accomplishments.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic:

it,s proven with every post ! what size saddle do we buy you? i,ll through in $50.00 for one.
                  I'm glad you decided to stay around.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic:

Tool,

Glad you're back too.
                    the dog

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow:
                      plumbdog10,

There you go with your people skills again. No I in fact am a plumbing and general contractor who is licensed in multiple States. In addition, I am certified through IAMPO, ICBO, ICC, AWWA, RWAU, and a few others.

I owned a plumbing contracting business for 20+ years plus at one time also owned a Developement company, General Copntracting business, a Maintanance business and a property managment business. For medical reasons I can no longer run 400+ employees. And yes I've spent my time in a service truck for both plumbing and HVAC.

I am now hired to find solutions to problems caused by trades people who do not do their work properly. I am one of the few experts who works both Plantiff and Defense work.

When I started working as an expert in 1988 I was the first non-engineer to work as a plumbing expert. I was also one of only about six plumbing experts in all of California. Today there are probably 100 or so plumbing experts in California but still less than 10 are non engineers.

About 50% of my work is for Plaintiffs and about 50% is for Developers, Generals, Plumbers or Manufacturers. Regardless of who my client is I try to find the best way (not cheapest)to fix the job while still ensuring the work with satisfy the requirements of the Code.

I would not have a job to do if it were not for people who cheat to get work by using inferior materials and/or labor.

Yes I work within the Case Management Orders which are ordered by the Courts. To do anything else would not be fair to the Defense who ultimately will have to pay the bill for the poorly installed or designed project.

When you talk about me trying to save the clients case you are not stopping to grasp the reasoning behind it. It's called playing fair and being honest. The only time I am allowed to make repairs is as it relates to life safety issues and even then I have to shut the system down until the other side has an opportunity to get their expert out to observe.

Mark
                      Utah,

I gave my opinion, I stand by it. You gave your opnion, I respect it.

the dog
                      the dog

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10:

Utah,

I gave my opinion, I stand by it. You gave your opnion, I respect it.

the dog
                        plumbdog10,

That's fine as we are each entitled to our own opinion. Those opinions are usually based on our personal frame of reference. If all you've ever done is work as a pipe fitter you are likely to have a different frame of reference than I have.

Toolaholic, Rick and myself have all explained our qualifications to you as you have attacked and questioned each of us. With the exception of a halfway reasonable explanation for threading steel pipe all you have done is whine about people. My question is what makes you qualified to comment on anything? Seems that is the same question you asked of Toolaholic.

Mark

Comment

What you are experiencing with sewer gas is exactly why SoVents are junk and not allowed here. They are cheap for the developers and contractors, yet these people paid millions of dollars for condos and apartments that have trailer court technology.

Open the window under certain barametric pressures or wind conditions and you get sewer gas. What a joke. Do these people a favor and get those vents out to the atmosphere where they belong. Or at least give them a wind sock. LOL

I have another strong idea where a lot of the sewer gas is coming from but I am not totally willing to give all of my knowledge for free. (I don't have much and need to keep some of it to pay my mortgage.)

Also you spoke of an area that was full of concrete due to a poorly protected stack? Please elborate.

This has evolved beyond helping a DIYer or beginner fix a toilet or water heater, I am certain I can solve all of your problems. You said this is going to be a process that takes years and involves lots of money, I agree it will take lots of money but it should not take years....

The project I am currently doing should be done sometime shortly after the holidays or maybe even before then if things keep going as they have. If you or your clients fly me out and back, put me up in reasonable accomodations and allow for reasonable expenses along with reasonable compensation for time I am more than willing to come out and solve everything. I am not licensed there but it sounds like anyone with a hacksaw can come out and be a plumber as long as the guy writing the check has passed a beancounters test.

I don't want to turn the wrenches, and don't want to stay there that long. Just need enough time to verify my current conclusions and remedy your situation. Plus three or four days R&R as my next project should be a pretty long one.

Let me know.
                          Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

MARK, CAN I COME ALONG FOR THE RIDE TOO. HAVN'T BEEN TO VEGAS IN 18 YEARS. DON'T EVEN LIKE TO GAMBLE. I THINK IF WE ALL SCRATCH OUR HEADS TOGETHER WE WILL COME UP WITH ENOUGH DIFFERENT WAYS TO FIX IT RIGHT. LET ME KNOW, I'M SERIOUS ABOUT THIS. I CAN EVEN BRING MY BOROSCOPE. YOU CAN INSPECT INSIDE OF A WALL WITH A 1/4'' HOLE.

MAYBE "THE DOG" WANT'S TO COME TOO. NOT SURE HOW MANY HOTELS ALLOW PETS? NOT EVEN SURE IF HE'S HOUSE BROKEN.

PS. TOOL GLAD YOU'RE BACK TOO. THIS WAY DOG CAN SHARE HIS TIME PICKING ON 3 OF US, INSTEAD OF 2. GOES FROM 50% DOWN TO 33.3%. FOR $5.00 EACH WE CAN BUY A MUZZLE AND A CHOKE CHAIN. WE CAN PROBABLY GET HIM "FIXED" FOR FREE, THAT SHOULD CALM HIM DOWN. THEN AGAIN "YOU CAN'T TEACH AN OLD DOG NEW TRICKS".

WELCOME BACK TOOL!

RICK.

Comment

Plumber,

Thanks for the offer but I’m sure I will find the problem. This thread started out with comments on under qualified contractors and has morphed into finding problems on one of my cases. This is only one of fifty or so active cases I have right now. The information was only to show the problems are not limited to small residential projects.

As for SoVent I think it is the worst thing to ever happen to plumbing. What I have seen so far in the IPC, the IPC may make SoVent look good. With the IPC if an engineer signs off on a design it’s a done deal. It won’t matter how bad the design or how much experience the engineer has.

The section of DWV which has concrete in it is a 6” riser. The maintenance engineers were having a problem with stoppages in the line. They found a 40’ section of horizontal piping at the garage ceiling which was partially full of concrete. They changed the pipe back to the base of the riser but the riser still has concrete in it.

The engineers know they have a problem with losing the trap seals through evaporation in the vacant units. They have a program where they pour a bucket of water down the drains of the vacant units once each week. Once I am able to do my destructive testing I want to check the design of the as built SoVent system.

As an explanation of why these cases take so long, once I do my initial report I will give the owners an idea of what types of problems I found and what the cost to repair them will be. Then the law in both California and Nevada give the Developer one year to fix the problems. This is meant to avoid litigation. Unfortunately, there is no incentive for the Developer to fix anything. If the Developer fixes the problem it comes out of his pocket. If litigation starts, after the one year period has expired, the Developer’s insurance company pays for it.

Once the actual litigation starts I am allowed to do a full visual inspection. Like all of my inspection I must advise all other parties so they can attend. This is often followed by a presentation and mediation session. If nothing settles I than get to do destructive testing where I am allowed to take pipe samples and open walls. I send my evidence off to labs for testing and then write my report.

Now the Developer’s expert has an opportunity to do the same thing in his testing. After that is completed the sub contractors can also request to do the same thing. After everyone has completed their testing we mediate again. If it does not come to a resolution we each are deposed and then prepare for trial.

Mark

[ 08-04-2005, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: ToUtahNow ]

Comment

Rick,

Years ago I use to use my borescope but have little use for it anymore. When I do my destructive testing there is generally a window expert, a structural expert, a fire safety expert, ect. Everyone is doing cuts to look at different things. By the time the DT crew patches a ¼” hole it’s just as easy to patch a hole which is stud to stud.

I don’t know if you recall the bad ABS that was manufacturered in the mid 80’s but I had a lot of cases with the defective piping. I had one complex in Agoura where they wanted three and a half million dollars from my client (plumbing sub) to replace the entire ABS DWV system.

The Plaintiff’s expert used a borescope and figured the entire DWV system was bad because where he could see a name it was of the defective ABS pipe. After I reviewed the leak history I was able to open limited areas in 60 units and prove which manufacturer’s pipe was bad and where it was located. I saved the insurance company a cool three million dollars on that settlement.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                                X