X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• toilet or closet augers

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but for normal jobs is a 3' toilet auger sufficient? Would you recommend I get a 6' one instead? Most augers I've seen online are 3' but Rigid also has a 6' model and I was wondering if this is recommended.

6' IS THE WAY TO GO. NOT ONLY IS IT 3' LONGER , BUT GENERALLY A STRONGER, HEAVIER CABLE. STAY AWAY FROM THE DROP HEAD MODEL. THIS IS USUALLY HARD TO NEGOTIATE THE LOW FLOW TOILETS. I'VE USUALLY FOUND THAT A GOOD PLUNGER WILL CLEAR MOST TOILET STOPPAGES AS LONG AS SOMETHING LIKE TOYS WERN'T FLUSHED IN.

Comment

Thank you for the advice! It seems like it is better to get a longer one but not knowing anything about plumbing, I wanted to make sure an extra 3' would actually be useful.

Comment

If 6" is the way to go, why does RIDGID sell a 3" auguer. I assumed that since they sold a 3' toilet auger it was long enough.

I've actually gotten the toilet to drain slowly rather than not at all, so I'm hoping the 3' will be enough--I'll keep trying--its not the easiest tool to use.

alan

Comment

Why does Ridgid sell a 3'? Well, why do they sell those little hand-crack snakes? Both are a joke, but both I'm sure sell equally well to otherwise unaware Johnny Homeowners.

Go with the 6'.

Augers are not easy to use at times, if the blockage is hard or the toilet has a small trap. You have to put some elbow grease into them sometimes. But the 6 footers almost always do the trick, and like Rick said they have a much stronger cable.

Comment

Do you find that the plug can be past the toilet and into the 4" pipe ?

Comment

The problem with the three footer is while you might clear the fixture it is nice to be able to snake past the closet bend as well.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

"Do you find that the plug can be past the toilet and into the 4" pipe ? "

Many, many times.

In which case the toilet needs to be pulled and the line snaked obviously.

In my area, there are ALOT of older homes which were built without any outside clean-outs whatsoever. So when these types of homes get a main line plug, I have no choice but to pull a toilet anyway and snake the 4" line to the main. Takes 5 minutes to pull a toilet and re-set it with new wax ring no big deal.

Comment

Hello everyone, My name is Johnny Homeowner, glad to meet you all. ROTFLMAO I have a 3 ft closet auger for stopped up toilets. I also have a 30' hand crank snake that works very well for sink drains when needed. My K75 will not fit in the bathroom sink for some reason. LOL
                  info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Papa, what you just said in your post, VERBATIM even, is exactly what I have heard from so many "Johnny Homeowner" types who have called me out on jobs it's hilarious. Often, they will have their little hand snake sitting right there next to a main line clean-out, and they ask me why it did'nt work. I just have to shake my head and tell them to stick to whatever it is they do for a living and leave the plumbing to idiots like me.

Comment

Working...
                    X