X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• odor source?

there has been a slight odor that has come and gone over the last few weeks that has returned. it is localized in the kitchen and basement. after locating it, it is coming from the kitchen sink drain. the drain is clean and clear. the drain runs down into the basement and direct into the floor. the laundry tub is directly below. this drain has a seperate vent that runs into the floor. the laundry tub drain runs into a wye into the vent pipe. my dishwasher also runs temporarily into the laundry tub. the smell does in fact seem worse in the kitchen after a few loads of laundry. is it possible this wye is clogged up a bit? my thought was to repipe the drains with pvc and isolate the vent. run the laundrty tub into the drain side? my plan at that time was also to run the washer and dishwasher direct into the drain pipe too. i was going to wait to do this until i put a garbage disposal in when we remodel the kitchen, because the drain is only 1.5". do i need to do it now or is there an easier way to stop this odor?
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

One guess is that you have a venting problem and the p-trap is being sucked dry. This would allow sewer gases to seep back into the house through the pipes. Grab your extension ladder and a hose and climb up to the roof. Look for any obvious obstructions in the vent pipe, birds nests, leaves, etc. Clean any of that stuff out and then flush the vent pipe out with the hose. There could be something else causing your problem but this solution, if it works, won't cost you anything but the price of the water.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Dave

that was my initial thought but it is not the smell of sewer gas coming up. its more of a musty moldy smell that is more noticable after doing laundry or using the laundry tub quite a bit. i will give what you suggested a shot, it cant hurt, but since it wasnt a sewer gas smell i ruled it out

we do have a large maple tree in the back yard with those helocopters that required me to clean the gutters twice this year. i guess this could be a problem too?

thanks

Comment

i have were the soap resadew in my laundry tub smells i have to hose it down sometimes have to use a wire brush

Comment

jeff

if that were the case why would the smell be coming up from the kitchen sink drain?

Comment

well i found the source, and i wonder what the hell i was thinking. not being a plubmer by trade, i often overlook the obvious. it should have been obvious to me that the problem was somewhere between the p trap and the sink drain as the p trap would prohibit the odor from coming back in from the pipe leading to the basement. i have a double sink that runs into a single trap. i pulled that apart and found a nasty black sludge clinging to the sides of the pipe. the smell of the sludge was the same smell i was trying to pinpoint. anyway after cleaning it out and reassembling it smell is gone and i am happy again.

Comment

Working...
            X