X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clogged faucets

We have small white bits that are clogging up all of the filters in our faucets and shower heads. We have tried using CLR but it seems to have no effect. Is this caused by our waterheater (AO Smith), or would a water softener take care of the problem?

Is it just happening on the hot water or both hot and cold?

Comment

I'm not exactly sure as it takes a little while for the stuff to build up so it's hard to check. I have done some research and think that it might be the dip tube disintegration from the water heater.(manufactured in '94) What is the best way of handling this? Thanks for your reply.

Comment

If its the tube take it out and cap it.

Comment

Take out the dip tube and cap it???!!! I don't think so. Take it out and replace it.

Comment

If you are running a 11 year old water heater it may be a smart preemtive move to just repace it, I would also remove a couple aerators from sinks and allow the water to run unobstructed for awhile, it may flush the build up of what is in your lines out.

Comment

Whatever you do do not cap the dip tube. It's there to attract mineral deposits that come out of the water when heated. Removing it will worsen your problem. Replace the dip tube is that is found to be the problem.
              Len<BR>Midlantic Plumbing & Heating

Comment

Replace your H/W tank.

Comment

IT'S THE DIP TUBE. A SIMPLE TEST IS TO CAPTURS THIS GRIT. PLASTIC PIECES ARE SMOOTH AND WILL TURN TO DUST IN YOUR FINGERS IF YOU RUB THEM. MINERALS WILL DESOLVE IN VINEGAR. IT'S ABOUT TIME TO SAVE THE POSIBILITY OF A FLOOD. 11 YEARS ON A 5 YEAR WARRANTY. CHANGE THE HEATER.

Comment

Working...
                  X