Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• some one misrepresenting tools as RIDGID.

Hello my name is Thomas,
    I just Paid $138.00 for what I believed was a RIDGID TYPE 418 NEW OILER.
    I am 51 years old and have been with plumbing since " 87. Before that I was a Manufacturing engineer.Before that a tool designer,and before that a tool and die maker.I am familiar with tooling.
    Please go to www.ebay.com/
    go to search and key in : 3863978324
    and : 3861248520
    Those are item numbers.
    If you don't see this as, representing, a RIDGID TOOL, than I simply stand alone on this issue. Now that I look criticaly at this item I see that it doesn't say RIDGID on the side.I have purchased every thing on ebay from a new RIDGID 3800 drain mach. to simple cutters.I've simply trusted the name.Please go to the web site and see for yourself.Now as I read it more criticaly, yet,I see that at the very least, they're saying it is built with all RIDGID parts,or equivelent.
    I know what this terminology meant when I worked as an engineer.The item they're selling is worth about $5.00 five dollars.And I don't say this out of anger,I am speeking from experience.I use, Olny, RIDGID tools where ever they can be
    applied in my trade;because,I have proven them to be the best.When the RIDGID name was on it I came to trust that I am buying a top quality tool.Obviously, I still have every reason to believe that. I just have to be very carefull now that I am actualy buying a true RIDGID product. please post this letter if for no other
    reason to give the honest, hard working trades man a heads-up. Thank you .

[ 01-04-2005, 09:10 AM: Message edited by: Norm ]

wouldnt be surprised if fake ridgid pipe wrenches would come out later in the market.. china makes a lot of fake branded tools..

Comment

China does not respect U.S. patents, freedom, individual rights, or Democracy. Our companies go there to take advantage of the horrific labor conditions and even worse environmental protection rules. Meanwhile China's military openly admit to equipping themselves and training their troops to wage war against us.

The companies that go there and the people who buy the products made there are cutting this country's throat. If there is a product available that is not made there it is an Americans patriotic duty to not buy Chinese.

Ridged will soon find that more of its products are being made with their designs by counterfitters than those they have licensed. The rip offs you see all over the net and in American and foriegn stores are a direct result of our nations foolish trade policy regarding China.
      Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

yes i agree..

Comment

B.Thomas,

Well, on the first item (the Type 460) they do state that it does NOT have the Ridgid name brand on it, but they do state that it is made by the same factory and that they are "exactly" the same components. If you have found that this is NOT true (the parts are inferior in materials and workmanship), you have yourself a legitimate complaint! What is perhaps misleading and perhaps even in violation of the law is that they say, "RIDGID Type 460". I don't see where they state that they have the permission of Emerson Electric (parent company) or Ridge Tool to use the "Ridgid" namebrand... in which case, Ridge and Emerson would have a legal reason to sue!

With regard to the Ridgid Type 418 Oiler, they definitely state that it IS a Ridgid product. There is NO counter statements that state it is anything but Ridgid. If you have found that the product is counterfit, you have a very just case for action against the selling company.

On a personal note, let me tell you that the NY State Attorney General's office would take swift action on your behalf. These people are located in Mineola, NY and if you find their business practices in any way fraudulent, I can tell you from personal experience, that our AG will deal with them quickly. If you need their number or a complaint form, let me know and I will send it too you as I recently took action against Rockler for deceptive advertising and the AG recovered the money they overcharged. It took about eight weeks is all.

I'm not a lawyer or in anyway connected to either Ridgid or the NYSAG, but I do hate being "fooled" and I do speak from recent experience.

Hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by B. Thomas:
            Hello my name is Thomas,
            I just Paid $138.00 for what I believed was a RIDGID TYPE 418 NEW OILER.
            I am 51 years old and have been with plumbing since " 87. Before that I was a Manufacturing engineer.Before that a tool designer,and before that a tool and die maker.I am familiar with tooling.
            Please go to www.ebay.com/
            go to search and key in : 3863978324
            and : 3861248520
            Those are item numbers.
            If you don't see this as, representing, a RIDGID TOOL, than I simply stand alone on this issue. Now that I look criticaly at this item I see that it doesn't say RIDGID on the side.I have purchased every thing on ebay from a new RIDGID 3800 drain mach. to simple cutters.I've simply trusted the name.Please go to the web site and see for yourself.Now as I read it more criticaly, yet,I see that at the very least, they're saying it is built with all RIDGID parts,or equivelent.
            I know what this terminology meant when I worked as an engineer.The item they're selling is worth about $5.00 five dollars.And I don't say this out of anger,I am speeking from experience.I use, Olny, RIDGID tools where ever they can be
            applied in my trade;because,I have proven them to be the best.When the RIDGID name was on it I came to trust that I am buying a top quality tool.Obviously, I still have every reason to believe that. I just have to be very carefull now that I am actualy buying a true RIDGID product. please post this letter if for no other
            reason to give the honest, hard working trades man a heads-up. Thank you .
            B. Thomas,

This is a great topic that every tradesman should be aware of. I remember reading several years ago about the proliferation of counterfit tools sold at swap-meets here in California. Sorry, it was too long ago for me to remember the source.

I myself have been the victom of, not counterfit, but "factory seconds". These are tools that were not up to the manufacturer's standards. Normally, they are destroyed, but sometimes fall into the hands of someone who sells them based on their brand.

Finally, I would caution anyone dealing with ebay. Let's face it, you don't have a clue who you are buying from. The well established distributers cost more, but you know what you're getting.
            the dog

Comment

Working...
            X