X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 +20 mill pipe wrap

what primer are you using ,if any.,for this tape, please?
    same as pvc pipe primer? i,m usually using it to seal roof jack collars fot vent waterproffing. never new you were suppose to use primer! thank,s tool
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

tool, primer is required when doing underground gas pipe with pipe wrapping tape. 2 layers of 10mil. basically primer is a form of contact cement. it fills voids and helps the tape to stick to the piping.you apply, brush it onto the bare pipe first. the primer is marked for use with pipe wrapping.
    as far as vent pipes go, don't think there is a code on your application. i believe it's more of a spec. on high end jobs we use a lead flashing that is rolled over and into the vent opening. this makes for a 100% watertight seal. problem is they are very expensive compared to a regular gal. flashing.

rick.

Comment

Tool,

It is called "Pipe Wrap Primer" available at most plumbing supply houses.

That said, I would not reccomend it to seal vent collars. Even with primer 10 mil tape doesn't hold up very well in the hot sun.

Rick is correct. The best way is to use lead flashings, folded over the top of the riser pipe. Rick is also correct when he says this is expensive, so it may not be appropriate for your projects.

If you have the correct size flashing, a little roof mastic around the collor should do the job. I've never had one leak.

As of late, some of my projects have called for "vandle proof" vent collars. I'm not sure what they are protecting, but that's what is spected. It is a cast iron ring which fits over the pipe and rests on the top of the flashing. The top has a groove which is filled with mastic, thus seaaling the pipe at the vent collar. There are three break away screws which clamp it to the pipe. These, also, are expensive. If anyone knows what they are guarding against let me know.

I would go with a galvanized flashing of the correct size, and mastic around the top.

the dog

ps. Thanks for the kind words guys. Everyting worked out fine.
      the dog

Comment

dog, missed your input these last couple of weeks. can't say it was quiet though.
        glad all worked out fine.
        welcome back.
        thanks for the thanks???
        rick.
        notice the new look.

[ 08-29-2005, 10:17 PM: Message edited by: PLUMBER RICK ]

Comment

thank,s dog and rick, i,ll pick up some of that primer.
          i usually pick up an oatly jack for abs on a pitched roof.
          but other times i,m running an elec conduit above a flat tar and gravel roof, the tape is used a lot up here for bastard situations.
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Tool,

Please read my post closely. I am advising NOT using 10 mil tape as a water seal on flashings. Nothing in Plumber Rick's post advocated it (not speaking for him, but reading his posts).

the dog
            the dog

Comment

tool,

Everything used in a plumbing system must be approved by an approved listing lab and used per it's listing. Not only is 10 mil tape a poor way to seal a pipe in a roof jack it is also illegal.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
              X