off topic FUEL PRICES

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• off topic FUEL PRICES

how are you handling the increased overhead?
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

TOOL, AT 6 MILES TO THE GALLON IT WAS NO SURPRISE. FORTUNATLY I ONLY DRIVE 6000 MILES A YEAR WITH THIS TRUCK. SO AT $3.00 A GALLON IT'S APPROX. $3,000. A YEAR FOR GAS. AT $1.50 A GALLON, IT'S $1,500 A YEAR.

BIG PERCENTAGE DFFERENCE, NOT BIG COST WHEN YOU THINK OF ALL THE COST ASSOCIATED WITH BEING IN BUSINESS. THE ONLY FACTOR NOW IS , IT'S MUCH EASIER TO SAY " I DON'T TRAVEL THAT FAR TO JOBS".

THE REAL PAIN IS THE AUTOMATIC PAY AT THE PUMP. BEFORE THE REAL CRUNCH THE PUMP WOULD STOP AT $50.00 UNLESS YOU BROUGHT YOUR C.C. INTO THE OFFICE. THIS WAS TYPICALLY NEVER ENOUGH FOR 30 GALLONS. NOW THEY UPPED IT TO $75.00. THIS GETS ME CLOSE. TO GO INTO THE OFFICE AND BRING THE CARD TO RUN IT, BACK OUT TO PUMP IT, BACK IN TO PAY AND SIGN FOR IT. DIDN'T MAKE FOR SPEEDY SERVICE. PLUS THE CAR BEHIND YOU WASN'T TOO HAPPY.

ALTHOUGH AT 1 STATION, THE OWNER WOULD GIVE ME WHATEVER PROMOTION THEY HAD AT THE TIME. LAST WAS A FOOTBALL. I GUESS WHEN YOU HIT THE $75. AMOUNT, THEY TREAT YOU LIKE FRIENDS.

RICK.

Comment

Most of my vehicles take 91 octane or above so a change in gas prices is noticeable. This year I went back into a work truck so now I use 87 octane which is a little cheaper. However, with a 39-gallon tank it still $100 for a full tank.

To give you an idea of the miles I drive I am representing a Developer in Las Vegas from the 22nd of this month through the 14th of next month. Normally that adds 600 miles per week to my drive as I leave Sunday mornings and return Friday nights.

This week is a little tougher as I have a meeting in Santa Monica on Wednesday and an inspection in Los Angeles on Friday. That means my assistant (wife) and I will drive to Las Vegas in two separate vehicles. Tuesday after my inspections I will drive back home so I can attend my meeting on Wednesday.

After the meeting on Wednesday I drive back to Las Vegas for inspections on Thursday. Thursday after inspections I will drive home again so that I can attend the inspection on Friday. Friday night my assistant will drive back from Las Vegas alone.

That means next week in addition to the normal 600-miles to Las Vegas I will have an additional 1,800 miles of gas to buy. It sounds like a lot of money but it is only an extra $375. I do feel bad about using all that gas but my 40 mpg motorcycle would be tough to carry all that stuff on.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

MARK, DOESN'T SOUND LIKE YOU'RE GOING TO MAKE IT TO THE GOLF COURSE ON MONDAY. HAVE YOU EVER THOUGH OF TAKING UP FLYING? OF COURSE YOU GET PAID FOR YOUR EXPENSES. DOES IT ALSO COVER YOUR NERVES?

THEY HAVE A NEW HYBIRD? PICK UP. YOU MIGHT BE THE PERFECT POSTER BOY FOR THIS ONE.

RICK.

Comment

Rick,

My oldest son is a Captain in the Army and flies Apaches so that's no help but my middle son has his commercial helicopter license so he's offered to fly me. However, by the time I coordinate all that stuff I'm half way home.

Although I’m paid portal to portal, I won’t get reimbursed for my extra travel back to the other meetings as that was by my choice. The meetings in California were scheduled before I accepted the work in Las Vegas. I’ll be limited to charging around an hour a piece each way (4-hours total) which will still take care of me.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Most contractors here just add a 5 dollar surcharge to their service tickets. They are still just eating it on their contract work thats already let. And for work yet to to be let they are figuring for 3 bucks a gallon.

Its a shame really.
            Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Working...
            X