X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PVC glue on outside to seal leak?

I watched someone seal a leaking 3" dwv pipe connection in a simple way. But I wonder if it is only a temporary fix that will not last long.

He first put purple primer around the rim of the connection that was leaking. He said "the primer helps the glue penetrate".

After the primer dried, he put PVC glue around the rim of the leaking connection. This method sealed leaks around the rim of a w/c flange, a 3x3x2 wye, and a 3" quarter bend.

The next time we filled the dwv with water there were no leaks. Will this fix last?

-Rich

Rich, The answer to you're question is yes, this is a temporary fix and will not last. I can only hope that the person you saw do this is not you're mentor. More importantly I hope the reason you're asking isn't because this is you're house. I will say this if it were me and I had to drain the system down to make that repair there is no way I would'nt replace those fitting's for the 15 min of time it would take, and not risk a leak when I filled the system back up. We all start out in this trade learning from someone, and it's been my experience that people catch on to the wrong way of doing things so much faster than asking how to do them right, it's sickining. The real responsability should be placed on the plumber on the job to teach the apprentace properly, or not at all. This person you spoke of in this instance didn't even know what the proper function of primer is if he told you " The primer helps the glue penetrate" Primer is there to help in the PVC welding procces......Thats right I said wellding not glueing. The pvc primer when applied to the hub and the pipe starts to clean away the factory finish and make the pipe tacky(slightly melt), then by applying the glue evenly to the hub and the fitting and inserting into the fitting while turning the pipe 1/4 turn untill all the way in the fitting. Reason for the turn is to allow air to escape and get a propper seal. Sorry to have gone a little overboard but I just can't stand bad craftsmanship it drives me crazy, and it would'nt be so bad if it ended with them, but thy continue to pass it on "THAT'S THE PROBLEM" I'm glad you had the intelligence to feel there was something wrong and ask the question. Hope this helped, and remember the only stupid question is the one not asked.
    christopher

Comment

As it was a DWV system I hope there was no system to drain down or you really have a problem but the rest of Quescodeplumb is spot on .
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Hey Utah thank's for backing me up it just sounded like they had filled up the rough-in and that might have to be drained down to make the repair and that would be DWV.
        christopher

Comment

Three leaking solvent weld joints on one small system? My guess is there will be many more in next few years.

Quescodeplumb, a well written description of the PVC pipe joining process. It would help if we all called the solvent cement by what it is instead of glue. But we all do call it glue.

richfrancks post is another example of plastic ruining the trade.
          Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Christopher,

You are correct about draining the dwv, which was filled to check for leaks.

Thanks for your insight. Need to cut out the temp fix and put in a good connection.

-Rich

Comment

I would be concerned that there were (3) leaks in a pvc DWV system. Considering the low pressure involved if that many leaks are occuring it sounds like you have defective material or a serious breakdown in the installation process.

Were the fittings and pipe ends properly primed?

the dog
              the dog

Comment

The parts were primed, but I am finding out that my helper didn't prime/glue properly.

Comment

Just as an added suggestion, its important to use the right size applicator. The little cotton ball that comes with the pint cans of cement are not large enough for 3" pipe or larger. You can't get enough cement in fast enough to make a proper joint.

the dog
                  the dog

Comment

I disagree. If you dobbed some glue on the fittings and they held test (10 ft head or 5 psi air test) they will drain waste water for years to come. Unless of course they are stressed from poor wall/floor framing or concrete settling.

Comment

Abs cement is a mix of Methyl Ethel Keytone and raw ABS mixed together. It is meant to soften and bond two piece of ABS together not to encapsulate a poorly glued joint. It’s not really about whether it may work or not, it is about what is right.

Mark

Comment

My bad this thread is about PVC cement so change those ingredients to Acetone, MEK, Cyclohexanone, Tetrahydrofuran, Fumed Silica and raw PVC. However, the same principals still apply.

Mark

Comment

carverelli,

Applying solvent cement to the outside of a leaking PVC joint might be acceptable for a home owner to do until the plumber arrives to make a proper and permenant repair.

Applying solvent cement to the outside of a leaking PVC joint as a permenant repair by a professional is perhaps the most irresponsible and slipshod form of workmanship a plumber can possibly do. Short of installing a gravity drain backwards its... well its just bad plumbing.
                          Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Working...
                          X