X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waterless Urinals part 2

Plumbdog created a thread a few months ago regarding waterless urinals. Since the topic evolved to and then stayed on low consumption toilets it seemed prudent to begin another thread on the urinals.

I just attended a four hour continuing education class which is required in my State every year to qualify for licensing renewel. The first two hours consisted of a Sloan factory rep discussing auto flushometers and waterless urinals. Seems most of the inspectors present agreed its a horrible idea but are also stating they think eventual code acceptance is inevitable.

This is great for Sloan as they will have an exclusive patent on the seal formula and cartriges which will need to be changed on a regular basis and require that the urinals be cleaned daily with their particular cleaner with a narrow PH zone. The amount of money this manufacturer will stand to make is amazing. However when asked how the inside of the urinal is to stay clean without being flushed the rep insisted that a once a day HAND cleaning is enough.

Not sure who else on the planet can agree with this. We have all been to stadiums and parks where urinals become disgusting after only an hour or so. We have also been in truck stops where urinals are disgusting even when they are flushed. Unless these public places hire a full time attendent with a dozen bottles of approved cleaner those restrooms are going to look and smell like something from the 1700s. Lets not even mention bars and nightclubs, chewing tobacco and all the other disgusting things commonly discarded or hurled into urinals that will be present all day long until the night janitor arrives. And may god pity the night janitor who is to wipe the thing clean with a rag and approved cleaner. (can you say 1000 dollars an hour)

It would behoove most plumbers who care about health and safety, not to mention sensible standards of cleanliness, to write their State Legislatures across the country and suggest they kick this bad idea out the door before these become common place. The time to stop this nonsense is before it gets going. These waterless urinals are more about a company who wants to make a lot of money more than it is about sanitation in America. Sloan may want to take the water out of plumbing in order to put money in their pocket but lets not let them.
    Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

i had to do some work at j&j merk co. we had to have a hair net, covers for shoes and a lab coat to enter. then i went to the rest room and for the first time i used a waterles urinal , and did it smell !!! . even if they cleen it 2 times a day it still will smell . i would rather use a
    port-a-john well not on the day before they clean it
    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

HAWK,

After speaking with a contractor today who is very much in favor of these urinals it became even clearer that this is more about money than anything to do with water conservation.

This fellow said he expects to make a lot of money selling the cleaner and replacement filters to his customers. he gets only a call or two a year from his commercial customers regarding service for a flush urinal. he expects to sell several replacement canisters and bottle after bottle of PH correct cleaner each month. And he doesnt have to pay anyone to go out and work on anything. He said it was like free money. He then waxed poetically how he would be able to keep most of the savings of not having to run waterlines for himself.

Building owners will still be dumping 30 and 40 thousand gallons of water on the ground every month to keep their grass a shade greener but they can't use enough water to flush a urinal clean? I just don't get it.

Retirement cannot come quickly enough.

Comment

do thay have a trap in it ?
        Charlie

new work pictures 12/09

Comment

Yes they have a trap but the seal is in the form of a canister. When the oder absorbing chemical in the canister is exhauseted then it is discarded and a new one is installed. It is has a blue liquid chemical for the odor seal.

There is nothing to wash the inside of the urinal clean, it requires a hand cleaning. Dumping a bucket of bleach water along the sides and back to periodically clean it will flush out the chemical seal and turn the thing into an outhouse.

Who is going to wipe a urinal clean after they have just used it? particularly in a stadium or a sports bar. Or factory washhouse?

Comment

No flush urinals

The county of Orange added these to the upsairs restrooms at the John Wayne Airport last year. They smell.... Badly. Also the Walmart in Bullhead City has these. I think they are a terrible idea as in high use areas since they, as stated above have a tendancy to become very odorus and in my opinion unsanitary.

DOG... I know you live in the So Cal area... If you are in the area go to the departure terminal at JWA and you can see these abominations upon the lord in action.

I worked at the airport last year and none of my male co-workers would use the restroom in the departure terminal due to the odor. We would all make a bee-line for the bagage claim level for the old flush systems!

Kevin
            Badges?!? We don\'t need no stinking badges!

Comment

I actually have alot of thoughts on this, all negative, but don't have time to respond until the weekend. I need to get up at 4:00 tomarrow. I will respond then.
              the dog

Comment

I see the design of a plumbing system as the design of a public health safe guard. The more maintainence required on any system, the more the chance of failure. Will, for instance, a building owner hire a plumber to maintain the urinal, or will that become the job of his minimum wage janitor? Is that janitor qualified to know wether the urinal is functioning correctly?

A standard flushometer urinal will go years without any maintainence. If it needs repair a plumber is almost always called in to rebuild it, after which it should function for more years.

I Live in an area (Los Angeles County) where water usage is a very serious concern. But I don't think risking public health with high maintainence plumbing fixtures is the answer.
                the dog

Comment

I agree about the high maintenance. Sloan also claims that this will not cause the urinal drains to back up more often.

Yet Sloan then insists that the drains be thouroughly cleaned before changing from a functional flush fixture to a waterless fixture so it will work properly.

When I did service work years ago the urinals that were flushed every time almost never backed up, the ones in areas where people seldom flushed them were always needing work. It was one of the most disgusting jobs in this plumbers life.

Nothing in my lifes experience gives credibility to Sloans claims.

Comment

Now all they need is a waterless toilet to complement the waterless urinal oh wait a minute, they do have a waterless toilet some lovingly call this technically advanced marvel of modern day times an Outhouse.

Now, I cant wait to see the new line of Sloans in-house Outhouses.

This is a perfect place for all those 50 hp bathroom exhaust fans everyone has laying around.

Comment

i was just thinking a Friend has a working outhouse just like that one and to keep the smell down there is a can of lime between the seats to sprinkle some in the hole when done . maybe this waterless urinal can use some lime hawk
                      Charlie

new work pictures 12/09

Comment

Working...
                      X