Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacing a tub/shower faucet?

Hi all,

I'm not too familiar with home reno stuff, so please bear with me if my question is painfully obvious [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'd like to replace my shower/tub faucet. It's a pretty cheap design. It's got the spout, and the hot/cold plastic circular taps are connected to the spout (it's a one-piece unit). There's a diverter on the spout. Pretty standard.

I see lots of different types of shower/tub faucets available--the one-handle design centred in a circular piece, the two tap handles separate from the spout, etc. Can I basically replace my faucet with any of these types? Or am I stuck with getting the same type of faucet (i.e. one with a spout connected to two tap handles?)

Thanks!
    Dave

canadave, if you're replacing the whole valve, you can install anything you want. keep in mind that out here, los angeles, we are required to install an anti-scald type of valve.
    replacing the whole valve to a newer, better style is not a do it yourself type of job. typically a wall needs to be cut and the new valve either soldered in or screwed in. proper strapping and set back in the wall is very important too. not knowing your ability, but by the question asked, you might want to hire a qualified plumber to assist you in this.

rick.

Comment

Dave,

By reading your post I get the impression you are from Canada. From your description it sounds like a valve which might be used in an RV. Can you give us a little more history as far as type and age of construction?

In addition, is your one piece unit installed exposed outside of the wall coverings or whitin the wall coverings? What type of wall covering do you have? What type of supply piping do you have? Can you provide a link on the Internet to a faucet like you currently have? Can you provide an Internet link to the faucet you would like to install?

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

mark, it sort of sounds like that older style intub add a valve. the one that has a riser to the shower head and a 4'' center.

sounds like everything went well with your surgery.

rick.

Comment

Thanks for such quick replies, everybody! [img]smile.gif[/img]

I figured the easiest thing would be to just take a couple of pics of the faucet; one's a closeup:

http://members.shaw.ca/canadave/pic1.jpg
          http://members.shaw.ca/canadave/pic2.jpg

If it involves cutting through the wall, no way can I do that. However, if it's just a question of taking the thing off and putting a new one on, I could do that. Thoughts now that you've seen it? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Just to clarify a couple other points--this is a house faucet, not an RV. The house was built sometime around 1990 I think.

[ 10-18-2005, 02:18 AM: Message edited by: canadave ]

Comment

canadave,

You would in fact have to open the walls to replace your tub & shower valve. If you are replacing the valve just to update your bathroom I would hire a contractor to do it right.

Good luck - Mark

Comment

Darn...I was afraid of that Thanks for letting me know though.

I actually want to replace it because it's started to develop a drip, and I've tightened all the parts I think I can get at (took the handle off, tightened the screw, etc). I'll have another look, but I'm at the point where I'm thinking I just need to get another faucet on.

Comment

Your faucet appears to be fairly serviceable. A new set of stems, a couple of seats and some plumbers grease may make it work like brand new again.

Mark

Comment

DAve, looks like a Moen faucet. If it is you can get the parts to repair it free at Home Depot. Turn off the main water, remove the plastic centers in each tap (there is a small slot in the red and blue rings to allow a small screw driver to pry them off) remove the screw that is under the plastic caps, now remove the plastic tap handles. You will now see the two valves, remove them with an adjustable wrench or channel locks. IF they are the cartridge type, take them to the new bathroom fixtures rep, they keep free replacements in a drawer there. If there is a rubber washer on the opposite end of the stem, take them to the plumbing isle and get a rep to show you the washers and seats that you will need to replace (not free but under $5)

Comment

dave, it's much less expensive to repair than to replace the complete valve. if you want a totally different look, then it's replacement. if you just want to stop the leak then a repair, or replacement of the stems. don't think it's a moen. i can't ever remember that style of valve from moen. there should be a name on the valve or trim pieces.
                    one trick is to track down a new valve of this brand and strip all of the parts. you should be able to even replace the entire trim to give you a new, clean valve without opening the wall. make sure you replace the valve seats too, if it's a washer style faucet. if it's a cartridge style, then just the cartridges.
                    if this is a track home, check with your neighbors, or a local plumber for the brand name.

rick.

Comment

Thanks everybody...I just looked at the brand of the faucet and it's a "Waltec"....a pretty cheapo brand that I think is only sold up here in Canada. I haven't started in and done surgery on it yet, but I'll tackle it later today and let you know how it goes

Thanks!
                      Dave

Comment

I believe Waltec is going to be a Canadian brand which is owned by Masco. Here in the US Masco also owns Delta so you should be able to find parts up there as Masco is a big company.

Mark

Comment

Well, I went to Canadian Tire and found the right replacement stem for the hot water (and I got one for the cold water too, while I was at it). I put the replacements on, and they seem to work pretty good. I still get an occasional drip after I turn off the water...it drips out of the spout about one drip every 15-20 seconds or so; I'm not sure why. But there's not a lot more I think I could do anyway without calling in a contractor, unless someone's got any other suggestions.

Thanks!
                          Dave

Comment

Canadave,

The bibb washer on the bottom of the stem mates against a seat which is screwed into the valve body. The seat is tapered to a medium ridge at the matting surface between the bibb washer and the seat. If there is a slight nick in the seat ridge it will cause the faucet to leak and eventually cut your new washer.

The type of faucet you have requires regular maintenance to prevent problems. That maintenance includes replacing bibb washers, seats and greasing the stem.

Mark

BTW: Nice job so far

Comment

Mark,

Thanks for the encouraging words [img]smile.gif[/img] It helps make me feel like I'm not a complete idiot at this, even though I probably am

Not sure if I quite grasped what you were saying last. I've replaced the cartridge, which consists of a stem that, if I turn the handle on the knob part, completely unscrews so that there's two parts--the stem part, with a rubber washer that's screwed into the back end; and a sort of two-sided nut that normally is screwed around the middle bulk of the stem.

Beyond that, there's a ring of sorts that I guess is the "seat"? It screws onto the threaded water pipe coming out of the faucet/wall. However, the seat itself doesn't seem to be attached to anything else. It's almost like some sort of metal trim to hide the tiny exposed little bit of the pipe. I looked at this "seat", and it seemed to be fine (the threads looked okay).

If you look up a Waltec 96100, you'll see the part I bought [img]smile.gif[/img]

Not sure what a "bibb washer" is though!

Comment

Working...
                              X