water closet install

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water closet install

I have a ceramic tile floor. When the rocking horse(commode) was removed to access a water line behind it(bad design) I found the plastic collar virtually destroyed. After viewing the available remedies I am considering using a flat metal collar that will fit onto the remaining plastic one.It has a thickness of approxamatley 1/8". Will this create a seating problem as far as sealing the unit and can I shim the exterior of the unit to eleminate the rocking horse effect?

------------------

Sounds like it will work to me.

Plumbing suppliers have all sorts of things to repair closet flanges depending on how busted they are.

As for the rocking use plastic wedges,also at the plumbing supplier,and silocone caulk around the bowl.

Just don't overtighten the bowl bolts...Good luck!

John
    Felciano Plumbing & Heating<P>http://www.felciano-plumbing.com

Comment

A couple weeks ago someone showed me a device from Mcmaster Carr. It has an expandable collar that goes down in the drain with a heavy duty flange at the top. This is the best repair item I've seen though much pricier than the metal rings.

Comment

I've seen them as well.The ones I saw are for repairing castiron flanges that have broken off.

What is up with flanges?The plastic ones crack and the metal ring ones rust and bend.I think I saw one from Charlett that had a heavy aluminum ring,but haven't seen anyone stocking them.Someone should come up with something that will last.

------------------
        Felciano Plumbing & Heating

http://www.felciano-plumbing.com
        Felciano Plumbing & Heating<P>http://www.felciano-plumbing.com

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by baupaw:
          I have a ceramic tile floor. When the rocking horse(commode) was removed to access a water line behind it(bad design) I found the plastic collar virtually destroyed. After viewing the available remedies I am considering using a flat metal collar that will fit onto the remaining plastic one.It has a thickness of approxamatley 1/8". Will this create a seating problem as far as sealing the unit and can I shim the exterior of the unit to eleminate the rocking horse effect?
          <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My first question is: Was the closet flange below the tile floor or above it? If it was below the tile I would think you would be OK in using an extention flange on top of the old flange to bring it up to floor height. If the flange was above the tile then I would use a Spanner flange repair sleeve by Fernco.

Comment

pasco makes a good replacement closet ring that i've been using for a couple years now. only sometimes depending on the design of the bowls base it will need a little modification. one thins for sure, they bolt down solidly to the floor. use plastic shims available at plumbing supply stores and seal the base with silicon when installation is complete!
            solder_man

Comment

Man! Ask and you shall receive!
              I was exceedingly overwhelmed with the advice I was sent. All great information and responses. I saved them for future reference.
              I installed the metal collar with great success. Now I am going to tackle the other toilet and see if your responses will fix the rocking horse.
              Thank you !

------------------

Comment

Hey Baupaw. I will give you one more bit of advice for your water closets. Try using little pieces of lead flashing instead of those plastic wedges. Remove the old wax seal with a putty knife, don't forget to re place it LOL. Sit on the toilet with all your weight moving side to side to form the wax seal. Before you tighten up the T-bolts make sure there is no wobble sideways or front to back. If there is, use pieces of lead to stabilize, then tighten. Use your pinky finger to so as to not overtighten.
                Hope you find something here helpful.

Comment

Use epoxy make 2 amall dabs and put on sides 2 in front and 2 in rear and use a #5 wax.
                  Just remember it will be hard to remove so call A Plumber next time, He will love you for it .
                  Ole the rooter man.

Comment

Working...
                  X