X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Threading nipples?

I am in the process of purchasing a threader for electrical conduit.
    I am looking at the 600 and 700.

My question is that can I use one of these threaders to make short to close nipples?

I have used the Ridgid 300 with a nipple chuck to do this, but is it possible with a pony threader?

I OWN BOTH THE 600 AND 700 MACHINES. DON'T THINK IT'S POSSIBLE TO THREAD NIPPLES, SINCE THESE MACHINES SPIN THE DIE, NOT THE PIPE. THE DIE HEAD WOULD BOTTOM OUT. NOT SURE IF A NIPPLE CHUCK WOULD WORK THEN. THINK THE SHORTEST YOU CAN CLAMP AND THREAD IS 6''.

Comment

I agree with Plumber Rick.

You can do it on a full blown pipe machine, with a nipple chuck (or without, with some difficulty). Your best bet is to buy them.
      the dog

Comment

Thanks guys,
        I didn't think I could make nipples with a 600 or 700, but I thought I would ask.
        You never know of a trick that someone else has come up with.
        I have tried to put the nipple in a coupling, but it drives the nipple into the couping and you can't get it out without damage to the nipple.

Comment

Cut a long thread on a scrap piece of pipe and screw the coupling on farther than normal. Then when you screw your nipple into the coupling it will bottom out on the other nipple, and not get jammed in the coupling.

Comment

BOB D. YOUR SUGGESTION WILL WORK ON A REGULAR PIPE MACHINE, BUT NOT TOO WELL ON A 600/700.
            REASON BEING IS THAT THE DIE HEAD HAS A FOLLOWER ON IT PREVENTING ANYTHING SHORTER THAN APPROX. 4'' FROM BEING THREADED. THE COUPLING WILL HIT THE FOLLOWER. THAT IS WHERE A NIPPLE CHUCK WILL COME IN HANDY.

Comment

I agree with Plumber Rick. The coupling method will not work with the power head type threaders, because the coupling will prevent the nipple from entering the die head. That method works (with mixed results) with a standard pipe machine. I have only used it in a pinch, because on many occasions it seems to damage the threads.

In my opinion, the most economical method is to simply buy factory nipples. If you add up the labor time, I think you will agree.

On my job sites I keep nipple boxes, which store close through 6" lenghth nipples. Nipples 8" and longer can normally be threaded on a pipe machine, and 6 1/2" through 7 1/2" I purchase on a need basis.
              the dog

Comment

I fully agree that nipple trays are the best way to go. By the time you mess around setting up to make one nipple you can buy a dozen of them.
                Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

by the way, dont forget to also buy the ridgid nipple chuck model 819 and 839, together with the machines.. that is in order for you to thread close nipples..

Comment

Working...
                  X