Need advice for shower drain trap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice for shower drain trap

I'm replacing a shower stall. Right now there is a 4" drain pipe coming up from concrete with no trap. The shower pan I want to use will go down with the drain directly over the 4" pipe. Now if the floor drain was 12" or so away from the pan drain, then it would be easy to work a trap in the line. The only way I can see to make a trap now is to dig down fairly deep so I can put a trap off to the side then route my pipe around and over the top so the drains line up. Does anyone have a better plan?

no trap?. how about the vent?

you need a trap and a vent unless this is at your mother in laws house

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I never thought about the vent. The 4" shower drain is right next to another 4" drain for the toilet. Both of these are about 2 feet off an outside block wall. I had the fixtures up about two years ago and I could see the drains go straight down about 4 feet into a horizontal pipe. Above them is a kitchen where a 2" drain comes down into the concrete also. There is a vent stack above this kitchen, so maybe that's how it all vents. This has all been in place for over 40 years and I've never smelled sewer gas or had any drain problems.

Comment

dude,

how old is your home. You may have a yard trap outside to block most of the sewer gas.

It seems like this is another occasion where the best thing to do is break out the floor and do it all properly.
        Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Plumber Rick: "you need a trap and a vent unless this is at your mother inlaws house."

hey, hey, hey.
          the dog

Comment

The house was built in 1954. There is a clean out in the yard just outside the basement bathroom wall if that gives any clues. I also thought it was unusual that the upstairs bathroom is on the opposite wall of the house. So I guess I have two sewer pipes going out to the street.

Comment

The best plan is to get rid of what you have now and do it the right way. It is not that big of a job to install the plumbing correctly on a fixture which should give you 20 + years of service.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
              X