X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• underground gas line

what is the recommended distance from a gas line to a electric line both being run underground to a detached garage??

Originally posted by bulldog195169:
    what is the recommended distance from a gas line to a electric line both being run underground to a detached garage??
    Good question. It is not unusual to see the lines laid in the same ditch even laying on top of each other.

The Uniform Plumbing Code does not really talk about the distance between underground gas and electric lines. It does talk about the required distance between underground gas lines and "other underground structures". While I'm not sure I would consider an electrical conduit an underground structure I think the same rules should apply.

The gas line should be install with enough clearance so that you can service or repair the gas line without removing the electrical line.

With up to a 1" gas line 6" should be enough clearance. Over 1" I would give the gas line 12" of clearance. It may be a little extra work today but it could save someone else a real problem later on.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

i wouldn't be too concerned if the gas line is hdpe pipe. (that's the yellow plastic polyethelen). it has fused joints and needs to be buried at least 18''. this pipe will never go bad. just make sure you properly wrap your transition fittings.
      you need to be licensed to purchase and install this type of pipe. the nice thing is the ditch doesn't have to be perfectly straight and you can lay pipe as fast as you can walk. the little extra digging (6'') and tracer wire is no big deal. steel pipe requires 12'' coverage, a straight ditch and plenty of protection on the wrapped pipe to keep it from rotting.

your electrical conduit i believe is the same depth? pvc conduit should never rot out.

i've had good luck with a ditch witch to dig 4'' wide and 24'' deep to lay in my gas pipe. almost impossible with steel pipe.

rick.

Comment

Also possible to use the large diameter soft copper gas line, by code it's only to be buried 18" as well and can bend to accommodate turns, valleys, etc, and can be bent upwards at point it needs to 90 up to meter.

Comment

Depending on where he lives and what type of gas copper may not be legal.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Thanks, you're right. It's legal here for residential with natural gas.

I am finding, through this forum, that my state's codes are somewhat liberal in comparison to many, and I am finding that in order to even respond to many posts here I need to have 50 code books in front of me.

Edit; Wait. Make that hundreds, for all the different municipalities....

[ 11-14-2005, 01:00 AM: Message edited by: AZPlumber ]

Comment

Working...
            X