X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power spin drain cleaner cable replacement

I have a Power Spin drain cleaner and the cable came undone from the plate that screws into the back of the machine. For the life of me, I can't figure how it fits back together. There is a base plate held to the plastic drum with 3 screws, which I removed. The back of the cable has a straight extension [about 1"] coming back at about a 45 degree angle. I can't figure out how that fits back onto the base plate. Any help or if you can steer me toward a schematic on the Internet I'd be grateful. Thanks.

I have the same problem, any luck yet?

Comment

Hello,
      The cable on the power spin does not attach to the backing plate or any other part of the drum. The cable is just wound in the drum and this is enough to cause the cable to rotate when the drum is turned. The extension on the end of the cable is actually a retainer clip, once the cable is inserted in through the guide tube it prevents the cable from inadverently falling completely out of the drum. I would suggest getting in contact with our technical service department and they might be able to give you some more information on this. They can be reached at 800-519-3456, i hope this is of some assistance.

Comment

Re: Power spin drain cleaner cable replacement

Adam,

I bought a Power Spin yesterday at Home Depot to clear a hair block in a sink. I noticed that there were six tools on the shelf and five were returns (not a good sign). At first I thought customers had used them successfully and returned them like a free rental. Now I know why! The PS cleared the clog just fine but wouldn't retract. Like every other poster on this subject, I took it apart only to find a spring loaded power tool connection. The cable had been completely extended to the cable stop which is easy to do with a power tool.
        If your tool designer was relying on centrifugal force to feed the cable, how in the world did he expect it to retract when it was fully extended and no cable remained inside the drum?
        There are no marks on the cable to tell the user that he is nearing the end and it's impossible to tell if the tool is feeding or retracting the cable. Why is there nothing in the instructions about this issue when it seems that everyone will eventually experience it? All you get is one more dissatisfied customer and now all six tools on the shelf will be returns. Homeowner level tools need to be idiotproof and, assuming your answer about no cable connection is correct, the only idiots are the people who designed and marketed this POS.
        At least I didn't have to pay Bubba the Plumber $150 to clear the sink drain.

Comment

At least I didn't have to pay Bubba the Plumber $150 to clear the sink drain.[/quote]

I am glad you feel that way about bubba the plumber, I am glad you wasted your 5 hours to pick up and return your broken tool. If the companies made the tools better for the home owner, they would do more damage then good. To the miss-informed, ignorant customer, you actually need experience and knowledge to do this job.

Let me tell you something, you got away easy, if you didn't get that cable out of the drain it would have cost you twice that $150. WOULDN'T YOU HAVE FELT LIKE AN IDIOT THEN?? I HAVE SEEN IT SO MANY TIMES!

Don't knock what plumbers charge, most of them have very good reason to charge what they charge. You think I am going to your house just "to clear a stoppage", why don't you think of the $400 professional top snake I bring with me to clear your stoppage, or the experience I have not to mess something up, or the license I hold by the state, or the commerical insurance I need to have on my van? The pride I take in my work? Just to name a few things, aren't those worth anything, maybe not to you, because you are happy you cleared it with some $30 snake that you broke and thought it was easy.(This Time)

Before you come in here and insult Bubba The Plumber, think alittle bit.

Good Day And May You Stop Up Again Tomarrow!
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by dunitmysef View Post
            Adam,

I bought a Power Spin yesterday at Home Depot to clear a hair block in a sink. I noticed that there were six tools on the shelf and five were returns (not a good sign). At first I thought customers had used them successfully and returned them like a free rental. Now I know why! The PS cleared the clog just fine but wouldn't retract. Like every other poster on this subject, I took it apart only to find a spring loaded power tool connection. The cable had been completely extended to the cable stop which is easy to do with a power tool.
            If your tool designer was relying on centrifugal force to feed the cable, how in the world did he expect it to retract when it was fully extended and no cable remained inside the drum?
            There are no marks on the cable to tell the user that he is nearing the end and it's impossible to tell if the tool is feeding or retracting the cable. Why is there nothing in the instructions about this issue when it seems that everyone will eventually experience it? All you get is one more dissatisfied customer and now all six tools on the shelf will be returns. Homeowner level tools need to be idiotproof and, assuming your answer about no cable connection is correct, the only idiots are the people who designed and marketed this POS.
            At least I didn't have to pay Bubba the Plumber $150 to clear the sink drain.
            There is really a pretty simple solution but too often manufacturers assume the user has some common sense. If in fact the cable has no physical attachment to the drum it is a simple matter of pulling a little cable out of the drain and shoving it back into the drum. Which by the way is the same operation which is required each time you use your power-spin so that you can properly clean the cable.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

dunitmyself, i didn't think snakes are returnable. at least not out here in calif. due to health reasons.

you would be better off renting the better k-39 power feed for the $30.00 than to own a tool that will sit and rust if not properly dried and oiled.

there's actually an art in cleaning a stopped up drain. you got lucky that the cable didn't break or get caught, especially running it with your drill. a professional cable is $65.00 alone without the machine.

on a sink, (not kitchen) stoppage i charge $75.00. that's with 30+ years of experience and enough selections of snakes and cables to make the right choice.

so bubba is not in my vocabulary

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Sorry guys, I was just pokin' at you a bit for fun. I know what's involved in running a small business and the risk that you take to earn a living.

I'm retired, have lots of time on my hands, and am reasonably mechanically inclined. I fixed a stuck idle air control valve on a 2001 Toyota Sienna in the morning and tackled the drain in the afternoon saving about $700 in the process. Otherwise I'd be a couch potato sitting around waiting to die. If I get in trouble, I humbly call in a pro and confess to my ignorance. Most, but certainly not all, understand and even explain how to fix it correctly in the future. They get recommended to neighbors, friends and Angie's List if you have one in your town.

In retrospect, the real issue was an incomplete owner's manual that could have explained how to deal with what should have been an obvious operating issue. BTW, if I had screwed up and left the cable in the pipe, I already knew where I would cut to get it out. Replacing PVC pipe is not like brazing stainless steel tube. Had no luck with that. You might say this is entertainment for me. Just have to be careful not to get injured through inexperience.

Tomorrow I'll replace the thermostat on one of my gas water heaters (microvolt exhaust fan controls are tricky) and mow the lawn even though it'll be 99 degrees. I have two lawn sprinkler heads to replace - broken return springs on both. My waste connection to the main sewer is cracked and roots are growing in but the break is six ft under - gonna take some sweat. Original installer put the cleanout at the main sewer where it is of no use instead of at the outside of the house. The gutters are half plugged with leaves - gotta get to that too. Change the oil and filter on the Sienna next week. On Tuesday I present my grievance against the state health plan for cheating me on deductibles and then come in to work on late income taxes for my son's small business (don't like accountant's rates either). Just trying to survive guys, just trying to survive. Good luck and prosperity to all, including Bubba who does charge $75 + $75 truck/travel charge. Did I tell you what college tuition costs for my kids?

Comment

Tomorrow I'll replace the thermostat on one of my gas water heaters (microvolt exhaust fan controls are tricky) and mow the lawn even though it'll be 99 degrees. I have two lawn sprinkler heads to replace - broken return springs on both. My waste connection to the main sewer is cracked and roots are growing in but the break is six ft under - gonna take some sweat. Original installer put the cleanout at the main sewer where it is of no use instead of at the outside of the house. The gutters are half plugged with leaves - gotta get to that too. Change the oil and filter on the Sienna next week. On Tuesday I present my grievance against the state health plan for cheating me on deductibles and then come in to work on late income taxes for my son's small business (don't like accountant's rates either). Just trying to survive guys, just trying to survive. Good luck and prosperity to all, including Bubba who does charge $75 + $75 truck/travel charge. Did I tell you what college tuition costs for my kids?
                  Sheesh! I thought my honeydew list was long.

Good luck with all dat stuff.

Comment

Sorry guys, I was just pokin' at you a bit for fun. I know what's involved in running a small business and the risk that you take to earn a living.

I'm retired, have lots of time on my hands, and am reasonably mechanically inclined. I fixed a stuck idle air control valve on a 2001 Toyota Sienna in the morning and tackled the drain in the afternoon saving about $700 in the process. Otherwise I'd be a couch potato sitting around waiting to die. If I get in trouble, I humbly call in a pro and confess to my ignorance. Most, but certainly not all, understand and even explain how to fix it correctly in the future. They get recommended to neighbors, friends and Angie's List if you have one in your town.

In retrospect, the real issue was an incomplete owner's manual that could have explained how to deal with what should have been an obvious operating issue. BTW, if I had screwed up and left the cable in the pipe, I already knew where I would cut to get it out. Replacing PVC pipe is not like brazing stainless steel tube. Had no luck with that. You might say this is entertainment for me. Just have to be careful not to get injured through inexperience.

I understand where you are coming from now. I appreciate your reply

Times are tuff right now all over the country and don't appear to be getting any better.

Have a great day and good luck with the list.
                    sigpic

Robert

Comment

Dunitmysef,
                      THAT is a well written post

I appreciate your words.

Looks like you are one of the ones with skills

Good luck with your projects.

Comment

Originally posted by doccherry View Post
                        I have a Power Spin drain cleaner and the cable came undone from the plate that screws into the back of the machine. For the life of me, I can't figure how it fits back together. There is a base plate held to the plastic drum with 3 screws, which I removed. The back of the cable has a straight extension [about 1"] coming back at about a 45 degree angle. I can't figure out how that fits back onto the base plate. Any help or if you can steer me toward a schematic on the Internet I'd be grateful. Thanks.
                        Hi, I had the same problem with a power spin when I used it with a drill rather than manually with the handle. What I did was remove the back plate,remove the long black bolt with two springs on it that holds the two parts of the back plate together, place the end of the cable between the upper and lower sections of the base plate and then reinsert the bolt. The end of the cable then gets held in place between the two sections of the back plate. You then have to push in the cable back into the drum and it coils inside. It feeds out and retracts perfectly and attaching it to the back plate prevents the cable from ever falling out. But it would be nice if the long bolt of the back plate was a threaded one(I got mine threaded and put a nut on it) rather than having a locking pin which once removed is almost impossible for one person to put back because of the tension of the springs.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          i didn't think snakes are returnable. at least not out here in calif. due to health reasons.

rick.
                          Well, I think many of us have had similar observations about the shelf stock at the box stores. The truth is, you can return a ham sandwich to HD on any given day!

Comment

Originally posted by lovetheUSA View Post
                            Well, I think many of us have had similar observations about the shelf stock at the box stores. The truth is, you can return a ham sandwich to HD on any given day!
                            I agree that you can return almost anything to HD. If it was broken, you would hope they would RTV it though.

I don't understand why you couldn't return a snake though; because you can rent them (if returns are hazardous, the rentals should be as well).

Comment

Working...
                            X