Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power vent water heaters

is there a certain situation where this unit is recomended over conventual
    units? flood water killed a new ao smith 50 gal power shot pvc chimney.
    i replaced with same. was impressed with elec ignition, didgital heat settings
    and pvc chimney. supply house charged $768. is this high? was told B.white is a better unit ,and will outlast ao smith. are these units so much more efficiant, that they allow pvc vents? thank's Tool
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

tool, i believe that these are 91% efficent. out here we use a cpvc pipe for the venting. the price you got is good. a normal 50 gallon heater is up to $350. now. i don't think that there is a big difference between the ao smith and the bradford white. sort of like gmc and ford. personal opinions.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Any water heater or gas furnace that have a pvc vent is very efficient . the water heater keeps the heat in the heater and the flue gases are so cool that you can use pvc pipe. because the gas is not hot it will not create a draft in a chimney . that is wye there is a power vent on it .

the other advantage of a power vent is you can put the unit close to a out side wall and vent out the side wall and no need for a chimney .
      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Tool,

Why was the PVC "chimney" destroyed in a flood?
        the dog

Comment

thank's all, good info

plumb dog, made a mistake on my message.what i should have said is chimney is pvc.have our 1st set of plans for 5ft house raise . 2x4 p.twalls
          marine ply $48per sheet
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Sorry I asked.
            the dog

Comment

Plastic venting is the crappiest stuff they ever came out with. Especially on furnaces/boilers. Simply garbage. I've been doing alot of work recently changing these out and installing new metal vents. All under warrantee too from a certain manufacturer. The ones on the boilers are cracking and literally melting, and yes, all work done to municipal codes. But, here's the stinger, they only pay for materials and parts, NOT labor so far, so the homeowner still has to pay me my time to change them out. Complete trash.

Comment

Az

I was told more than once, if you use metal with this LOW output temp

acid will eat away the metal. hope we get some opinions here! thank's Tool

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic
                  I was told more than once, if you use metal with this LOW output temp

acid will eat away the metal. hope we get some opinions here! thank's Tool
                  tool not sure if it's strictly an acid issue. there is a whole lot of condesation with these high eff. units.

cpvc pipe is also used.

infact on the tankless heaters, high ouput, high temp. a cat. 3 stainless steel vent is required. or better yet install it outside where ther is no venting required. this is one of the major issues with installing a tankless heater. issue #2 gas pipe too small.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

The units I'm talking about that failed were installed according to manufacturer's specs and instructions.

I am not entirely sure what the cause is, the furnaces have been adjusted/tuned, everything done to code as well. But they're going, one by one, and the manufacturer has accepted responsibility in as far as materials for swaps to metal vents.

All I know is, if I were building myself a house today, I would definitely stick with metal venting.

By the way, you can't even buy it here anymore. I'm relived for that.

Copper still over Pex too, but I digress.
                    Last edited by AZPlumber; 02-24-2006, 02:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X