Tool List for Commercial Plumbing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool List for Commercial Plumbing

I know most of you are tool fanatics so I am asking for your imput. I am developing a list of tools that a journeyman construction plumber should have on the job every day. Please realize this would be the minimum list for industrial and commercial plumbing, not service and repair. Any imput would be helpful.

I will post my list tomarrow.

the dog
    the dog

DOG, I'LL WAIT TILL I SEE YOURS AND ADD TO IT.

AS A UNION NEW CONSTRUCTION PLUMBER IN 1981. ALL THAT WAS REQUIRED BY THE PLUMBER WAS A TAPE MEASURE AND CHANNELOCK PLIERS. THE OWNER, CONTRACTOR SUPPLIED EVERYTHING ELSE. THE REASON WAS THAT TAPES AND PLIERS WERE THE MOST LOST, STOLEN TOOLS. THE UNION GAVE INTO THE DEMANDS OF THE OWNER.

RICK.

Comment

25' or 30' Tape Measure
      Torpedo Level
      Plumb Bob
      10" Pliers
      12" Pliers
      Crescent Wrench
      Spud Wrench
      Basin Wrench
      3/8" Drive Ratchet
      3/8" Drive Sockets (3/8" - 15/16")
      1/4" Drive Ratchet
      1/4" Drive Sockets (1/4" - 3/8")
      Set of End Wrenches (5/16" - 15/16")
      Set of Screw Drivers (or at least a 4 in 1)
      Set of Allen Wrenches
      14" Pipe Wrench
      18" Pipe Wrench
      Tin Snips
      Utility Knife
      Wood Chisel
      Cold Chisil
      File
      Hacksaw
      Tubing Cutters (able to cut 2-5/8" OD)
      Mini Tubing Cutters or Hacksaw
      Striker
      Reamer
      Turbo Torch
      Hammer
      5/16" Nut Driver
      No-Hub Torque Wrench
      4-Way Plumber's Key
      Cordless Drill
      Flashlight

the dog
      the dog

Comment

Won't Allen get made if some one else brings his wrenches?

A lot of that is something I think the contractors should supply such as the drill, larger tubing cutter, spud wrench,, and the 3/8 ratchet and socket set. The end wrenches and I am give and take with. If you require a cold chisel then you should require a ball pein hammer as well. The contractor is better off supplying something like that so that the condition of the tool can be controlled.

One thing you missed on a pretty good list that anyone involved with pipe work should have at all times is a good quality pocket knife: clean sharp and in good working order. Plus a dependable pocket or wristwatch thats not on a cell phone.

The contractors associations supply a BUCKET BOSS full of a very nice assortment of tools to all of the apprentices here. Most of whats on your list is included in that bucket.
        Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

I'm sort of sorry I started this thread, because I later realized it will probably set off a union shop vs. non-union shop debate. I didn't want to be involved in that, because I have some problems with the way the So-Cal plumber's union locals operate. But that was not the point of my thread.

In any event my father has just gone through major surgery, and I have some Grandparents that have some problems. Therefore, I will probably not be posting very much, if at all, in the next month.

I'm sure you will function without me for awhile.

Stay safe out there guys,
          the dog
          the dog

Comment

Other tools I missed; Something every journeyman should carry in their vehicle.

A briefcase with the following: Extra pens and pencils, chalk, indelible markers, soap stone. Notebooks with extra paper for math. And booklets with rough in specs for most common fixtures and carriers and take offs for fittings. They can keep their codebooks and labor agreements there also. A diary for any special problems or solutions and it gives them a place to keep addendums, cut sheets and change orders. Also gives the man a place to carry extra certifications, documentation and identification.

scraper or putty knife
            wire brush
            speed square
            doughnuts
            center punch
            200ft bright colored string line
            6 inch cresent
            6 inch channel lock
            calculator, simple solar one.
            steel toed and shanked work boots
            inspection mirror
            vice grips
            2 foot level

Dog,
            You're not doing a saftey or welding check list also are you?

I prefer my own hood and cutting goggles as well as welding gloves. Contractor should supply regular work gloves and saftey glasses, ear plugs, resperators and hard hats though I prefer my own hard hat as well.

Every man should carry a long sleeved shirt and set of coveralls in the car.

I also suggest every man carry a box fan and a little creeper seat in their car or truck. It makes a lot of jobs much more bearable. They can't always be used but they are nice to have when they can be.

Comment

dog,

You were posting as I was writing. I don't let my affiliations interfere with things on here.

Good luck with your families health and best wishes, things like that are never easy.

Comment

DOG, ALL JOKING AND KIDDING ASIDE.

HOPE ALL IS WELL IN YOUR FAMILY AND BEST WISHES FOR THEM.

COME BACK SOON WITH GOOD NEWS.

BEST WISHES,
                RICK.

Comment

Originally posted by plumber:
                  Other tools I missed; Something every journeyman should carry in their vehicle.

A briefcase with the following: Extra pens and pencils, chalk, indelible markers, soap stone. Notebooks with extra paper for math. And booklets with rough in specs for most common fixtures and carriers and take offs for fittings. They can keep their codebooks and labor agreements there also. A diary for any special problems or solutions and it gives them a place to keep addendums, cut sheets and change orders. Also gives the man a place to carry extra certifications, documentation and identification.

scraper or putty knife
                  wire brush
                  speed square
                  doughnuts
                  center punch
                  200ft bright colored string line
                  6 inch cresent
                  6 inch channel lock
                  calculator, simple solar one.
                  steel toed and shanked work boots
                  inspection mirror
                  vice grips
                  2 foot level

Dog,
                  You're not doing a saftey or welding check list also are you?

I prefer my own hood and cutting goggles as well as welding gloves. Contractor should supply regular work gloves and saftey glasses, ear plugs, resperators and hard hats though I prefer my own hard hat as well.

Every man should carry a long sleeved shirt and set of coveralls in the car.

I also suggest every man carry a box fan and a little creeper seat in their car or truck. It makes a lot of jobs much more bearable. They can't always be used but they are nice to have when they can be.
                  Good additions Plumber. No I was not counting safety gear, which is provided, other than boots.
                  the dog

Comment

Working...
                  X