WTR JETTER VS. DRAIN CLEANERS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTR JETTER VS. DRAIN CLEANERS

HOW WOULD YALL COMPARE THE PERFORMANCE OF WTR JETTERS VS. DRAIN CLEANERS?
    I HAVE ONLY USED WATER JETTERS ON LARGE LINES LIKE 6" - 12". I AM JUST CURIOUS IF IT WOULD WORK BETTER THAN DRAIN CLEANERS ON SMALL LINES AS WELL.
    SO I FIGURED BEFORE I SHELLED OUT 15-46 HUNDRED I BETTER ASK A EXPERT. THANKS A LOT.

MARCO,

Each machine has it's own benefits. While a cable machine will poke a hole through a stoppage it will not always remove sludge, grease, mud or sand from the line. Running hot water while cabling will help but not completely remove all of the sludge, grease, mud or sand from the line.

A jetter will wash the line and can clear soft stoppages and some root stoppages but cannot clear all hard stoppages.

If you want to be a repair plumber you owe it to your customers to own both. If you are limited in funds buy the cable machine first and the jetter later.

By the way just like with cable machines, one jetter will not do everything. Over the years you may owe several jetters to solve several different problems.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

MARCO, YOU'RE IN LUCK. I OWN MANY JETTERS AND CABLE MACHINES. PROBLEM WITH A JETTER IN A SMALL LINE IS THE WASTE WATER. IF THE JETTER IS USED ON AN OPEN DRAIN, THEN IT'S NOT TOO BAD. ON A PLUGGED DRAIN, THEN LOTS OF WASTE WATER , UNLESS YOU CAN GO UPSTREAM. EASY FOM A MANHOLE, DIFFICULT FROM A SMALL BRANCH LINE.
      JETTERS ARE GREAT ON SOFT STOPPAGES. GREASE, MUD, FLAT PITCH. SNAKE ARE GREAT FOR ROOTS. I DO USE MY JETTER ON MANY A PREVENTATIVE MAIN. JOB. I RUN FROM END OF THE LINE CLEANOUTS. THIS IS MUCH MORE EFFECTIVE THAN A CABLE. I CAN ENTER A 2'' C/O AND STILL EFFICTIVELY CLEAN A 4'' LINE. TOUGH TO DO WITH A BLADE. ALOS AS YOU KNOW, IT'S EASY TO PUSH OUT 100'- 200' ON A JETTER. LOTS OF WORK AND WEIGHT ON A CABLE MACHINE. I DO OWN A ROOT CUTTER FOR MY JETTER. STONE AGE TOOLS MAKES A CONTROLLED RPM. "THE WARTHOG" ($800.00)ROTARY CUTTER FOR JETTERS. SO YOU CAN CUT ROOTS IF YOU WANT TO.
      KEEP IN MIND TO DO A DECENT JOB ON 4'' WITH A JETTER YOU WOULD LIKE APPROX. 3000 PSI @ 4 GPM. 13 HP MACHINE A MINIMUM. 2'' 2500PSI @ 3GPM. 6.5 HP. ELECTRIC MACHINES ARE LIMITED TO APPROX. 2 HP. 20 AMP CIRCUT. 1500PSI @2.1GPM. LIMITED TO SINGLE FIXTURES AND SLOW CUTTING. I USE EVERYTHING FROM 2 HP. ELECTRIC, 6.5 GAS, 18 HP. AND 24 HP TRAILER.
      I COULD WRITE ALL DAY, BUT I'M OFF FOR THE WEEKEND TO SKI.
      SEE IF THIS HELPS, THEN ASK FOR MORE INFO. NO PROBLEM TO SHARE ALL THE INS AND OUTS ON JETTERS.
      RICK

Comment

UTAH, AS I WAS WRITING YOU, YOU WERE TOO. AMAZING THAT WE BOTH CAME UP WITH THE SAME ANSWERS. I SWEAR I WASN'T CHEATING, OR LOOKING AT YOUR PAPER.
        WISH YOU WOULD HAVE JUMPED IN ON THE OTHER POST ABOUT THE DIRTY WATER IN THE TRAILER PARK. COULD HAVE USED SOME MORAL SUPPORT. READ THE FULL POST AND GET BACK WITH US.
        THANKS, RICK.
        PS. THE TOPIC IS " TRASH FILTER"

[ 07-16-2005, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: PLUMBER RICK ]

Comment

Rick,

Sorry I was working in Las Vegas last week. Among other things, my camera found a couple of interesting problems a maintainance crew has been struggling with for the last few years.

Rather than stealing this thread I will go to the SeeSnake Forum.

Mark

[ 07-16-2005, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: ToUtahNow ]
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Re: WTR JETTER VS. DRAIN CLEANERS

Having used everything from large, commercial pressure washers to inexpensive, electric machines for sewer jetting I've found that a lot depends on your choice of jetter nozzle and hose.

In 4" PVC sewer pipe I've gotten well over 50 ft. of penetration uphill from a main drain cleanout using smaller, electric pressure washers; around 100 ft. with gas-powered residential-style gas machines rated under 3 GPM; and well over 100 ft. and very fast penetration using larger, commercial style machines rated around 4 GPM.

If you search online for "choosing the right sewer jetter nozzle" you can find articles that explain how to match jetter components to your pressure washer.

Comment

Working...
            X