Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• side sewers

when code isn.t an issue. on a residential side sewer
    what,s the best material for being trouble free?

i usually go no hub cast, but abs and pvc would keep out roots better, right? [glued joint,s] i also try to have customers pull there junipers, RATS AND ROOTS.
    i also do a kelly fitting at cleanout, so rick can snake both ways some later day!
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

TOOL, TYPICALLY THE OUTSIDE SEWERS/LATERALS CAN BE ANYTHING FORM CAST IRON/NO HUB, ABS,PVC,SDR35,AND CLAY. IN MY AREA OF TOWN I FIND LOTS OF ISSUES WITH FICUS TREES. THE ISSUE WITH FICUS IS THE ROOTS NOT ONLY WORK THEIR WAY INTO OLD CLAY JOINTS, THEY ALSO LIFT THE PIPE. JUST FIXED A RUPTURED COPPER WATER MAIN BECAUSE OF THIS. OUT OF ALL THE MATERIALS LISTED, I LIKE IN ORDER WHITE PVC/SDR35, ABS, NO HUB, CLAY. ALL ARE GOOD MATERIALS NOW. CLAY HAVING FLEXIBLE BANDS. NO HUB BEING STRAIGHT WITH FLEXIBLE BANDS, BUT DOES ROT FROM INSIDE AND OUTSIDE IN THE GROUND. PLASTIC ABS/PVC, BEING A VERY SMOOTH NON STICKING PRODUCT. WHITE PVC SHOWING UP GREAT FOR SEWER VIDEO INSPECTIONS. BIGGEST ISSUES WITH PLASTIC IS LACK OF PROPER INSTALLATION AS THE PLASTIC IS NEVER TRUE AND YOU HAVE TO KNOW HOW TO WORK WITH THE BELLIES. JUST ASK TOUTAHNOW. HE HAS A HUGH CASE IN VEGAS WITH BAD PLASTIC INSTALLATION.
    IF INSTALLED PROPERLY, IT IS GREAT.
    I LIKE THE TEXAS TWIN CLEANOUT. MADE OF NOHUB, IT IS A CAST BACK TO BACK TWIN SHORT PATTERN CLEANOUT. SIMILAR TO 2 COMBIES, BUT SHORTER LAY. NEVER USE A SINGLE RISER TWIN. WHEN THE LINE IS FULL OF WASTE, YOU CAN'T SEE THE DIRECTION OF SWEEP, OR KNOW IT'S A 2 DIRECTION C.O. YOU CAN END UP BACKWARDS AND GET IN TROUBLE.
    RICK.

[ 07-11-2005, 01:33 AM: Message edited by: PLUMBER RICK ]

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic:
      when code isn.t an issue. on a residential side sewer
      what,s the best material for being trouble free?

i usually go no hub cast, but abs and pvc would keep out roots better, right? [glued joint,s] i also try to have customers pull there junipers, RATS AND ROOTS.
      i also do a kelly fitting at cleanout, so rick can snake both ways some later day!
      Your quote that you use.... alarms me. If you are a plumbing contractor you should know the questions you are asking. If you don't, stay out of the plumbing business. Read-up, learn more then join the industry.
      the dog

Comment

thank,s again rick. on my own house 1959 eichler, i have a settled terra cotta joint that grabs paper every 6 months. i get out the canvas blow bag and it clears. i could camera it, and repair ,or bite the bullet ,excavate
        replace with 4" pvc. graded, compacted with sand.
        under my ca. gen.b lic i legaly pull plumbing permits , always with 2 other trade permits.

ps soo sorry for your unhappeness mr. DOG
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

TOOL, IF YOU CAMERA THE LINE YOU WILL PROPERLY KNOW ALL THE ISSUES ALONG WITH THE FOOTAGE OF YOUR SEWER AND MAX. DISTANCE TO SNAKE. SOME VERY IMPORTANT INFO. YOU WILL ALSO KNOW THE EXACT LOCATION AND DEPTH OF YOUR PROBLEM JOINT. I WOULD ALWAYS CAMERA A LINE PRIOR TO ANY LARGE DIG JOB. $300.00 IS MUCH LESS EXPENSIVE THAN ANY SEWER REPLACEMENT. YOU MIGHT JUST NEED TO DIG 1 SMALL LOCATION AND BE DONE. FROM THE SOUND OF IT, YOU HAVE A TRACK RECORD OF THIS STOPPAGE. SOUNDS LIKE A CAMERA AND LOCATION WILL PUT AN END TO YOUR STOPPAGES.
          RICK.
          PS. PLUMBDOG10 IS JUST A PUPPY DOG PROTECTING HIS TERRITORY. "RUFF, RUFF".

Comment

will have camera done this month. will find a small buss. guy like myself to do it. wish you were in marin!
            looks like we both have insomnia. if you ever travel north , e mail me. my son and i will buy a steak.
            we,re a father son buss.thank,s for all your help,kevin

Comment

TOOL, THANKS FOR THE OFFER. LOVE STEAK. GET THE VIDEO DONE. MAKE A COPY AND MAIL IT TO ME FOR AN UNBIAS OPINION. MAKE SURE THERE IS A DISTANCE MARK ON THE TAPE AND AUDIO NARRATION IS ALWAYS A PLUS. PUSH THE CAMERA ALL THE WAY TO THE CITY MAIN SO YOU KNOW YOUR MAX. DISTANCE FOR FUTURE SNAKING. MOST ISSUES I FIND ARE AT THE CAST TO CLAY CONNECTION. WYE AT THE SIDEWALK. 6''X 4'' TRANSITION AND AT THE CITY SADDLE. ALSO ANY 45 DEGREE DOWNWARD OFFSET.
              MAKE THE COPY AND EMAIL FOR AN ADDRESS.
              I'M SURE THE "DOG" WOULD LIKE A STEAK, OR AT LEAST A BONE.
              RICK.

Comment

Well I kind of like a good fillet mignon or Porterhouse myself. So I would like to reccomend that you always use the best materials available for the job. Scrimping on anything thats going to be buried is not a good thing to do. Since you guys pretty much covered the bases thats all I will add.
                Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

lateral gets prom pix tomorrow the 15th. small guy $300
                  will get footage but his locator is busted. i have a cleanout 1/2 way so it ,s pretty clear where it runs

Comment

TOOL, ? PLEASE EXPLAIN?
                    "lateral gets prom pix tomorrow the 15th. small guy $300"
                    TOOL, ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY THE LATERAL GETS A PERMENANT FIX? $300. FROM THE SMALLER CO. MAN?

RICK?

[ 07-14-2005, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: PLUMBER RICK ]

Comment

10 am tomorrow the side sewer gets camerad. of course i'll be looking at monitor with him. i'll have the problem area or areas footage locations, but won,t know depth ect. i insalled a cast 2 way cleanout just outside house found, total run from house to sidewalk is 74 ft. mid point 2nd cleanout is 43 ft. hope this clears it up rick thank,s kevin

Comment

hay rick, got a good guy . bad joint about 4 ft deep. he camered and taped. then cut roots ,and taped again. charge $300. i gave him $325and all my customers will get his buss. card in the future, one bad conn. at an 1/8 bend. i'll dig and repair when work slows up a little. thanks to plummer and you for your help. 2 steaks if you ever come north. oh, and one bone for what,s his face.

Comment

TOOL, GLAD TO HEAR YOU GOT TO THE BOTTOM OF YOUR PROBLEM. THAT'S WHAT IS NICE ABOUT A CAMERA. HOW DID YOU LOCATE, IF HIS LOCATOR WAS BAD?
                          THANKS FOR THE OFFER. I'M HEADING TO SCHAEFFER LAKE THIS WEEKEND. IS IT CLOSE?
                          THE BONE IS FOR PLUMDOG10.
                          RICK

Comment

the bad connection is 2ft before mid point cleanout.
                            is that the lake in novato?e mail mei,ll take you and whoever through joe garbarinos milatary in san rafael. 80 vehicles e mail me

Comment

TOOL, THANKS FOR THE OFFER. JUST CHECKED WITH MY BUDDIES. THE LAKE IS JUST OUT OF BAKERSFIELD, NEAR CLOVIS. NOT SURE HOW CLOSE, SOUNDS FAR.
                              AS FAR AS YOUR LOCATION GOES WITH THE SEWER. SOUNDS LIKE WHEN THE LINE WAS DUG TO INSTALL THE MID POINT CLEANOUT, THE DIRT WAS NOT PROPERLY COMPACTED. A VERY COMMON PROBLEM I SEE QUITE OFTEN. MAKE SURE YOU COMPACT THE DITCH AS THE BANDS ARE VERY FLEXIBLE AND AS YOU BURY THE PIPE THE BANDS WILL STRETCH INTO THE LOOSE FILL.
                              CATCH YOU NEXT TIME.
                              RICK.
                              PS. MY WIFE INFORMED ME THAT IT'S DANGEROUS TO MEET "BOYS" OVER THE INTERNET?

Comment

Working...
                              X