X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snake gloves?

I've rented equipment to snake a drain before I purchased my own machine. Once while using a rental machine wearing rubber gloves, a kink in the cable which left a slight opening in the cable grabbed the glove. Lucky for me, I was able to rotate with the cable since my hand was stuck in the glove! The only damage was to the glove.

I hired a plumber one time who had rubber gloves impregnated with small pieces of metal, so I guess the cable would slide through your hand and should be safer.

I've looked for this type of gloves on-lines, in catalogs, etc. with no luck. Anyone seen these and has a source for them?

I think that I've found them! They a Kevlar cut resistance gloves which come in several types.

[ 08-31-2003, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: wptski ]

I have found that rubber gloves tend to grab a lot more frequently than traditional leather gloves. This is why current machines are shipped with leather gloves as standard equipment. In the case of sectional machines, we supply a leather mitt that has metal attached to the palms of the mitts. This is due to the open wind of the sectional cables. These mitts are available in right or left hand configurations. I am not familiar with any rubber variations of these gloves. The left-hand mitt is Catalog number 59205 and the right hand mitt is 59295.

Comment

Adam:

Thanks for the reply! The machine that that was used at the time I seen those gloves really cranked some RPMs. If it ever grabbed your glove with a hand inside of it, it wouldn't be very pretty. It took forever to coast to a stop!

I hope that you can also answer my other post also? I emailed Ridgid the question(s) last week but never got a reply.

Comment

We use rubber gloves covered with what looks like gravel. The only place we can find them is a company called Plumb Master.

Comment

swamp:

Thanks! I have since found a site that had mittens with studs at $25 each. I haven't purchased anything yet.

Comment

Re: Snake gloves?

I have tried leather gloves..A big No No..The leather gloves with the metal..wears out and costly...I use UGLY gloves I use C http://www.mytana.com/products/cart....etail&p=27&c=8

Comment

This thread would probably get many more posts in the "Drain Cleaning Discussion" section......
              Ideal Plumbing

Comment

I've been wanting to try out these gloves for a while....

http://www.draincables.com/ProductDe...ductCode=GL104
                Ideal Plumbing

Comment

I wear the cheapest leather gloves I can find (less then 2 bucks a pair) but wear 6 mil latex gloves underneath.

Comment

Some old worn out leather gloves I found seem to work OK.
                    Since the leather is thick, smooth and very stiff, the cable is less likely to grab them as easily.
                    Will use them tomorrow over latex gloves.
                    Still, I wish I had something better like metal plates sewn to gloves.
                    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
                    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
                    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Only ones ive ever used are the ugly gloves they really work the best, but expensive. if anything use cheap leather ones. dont recommend and latex syle gloves at all... you might come out missing a finger or two....

Comment

Originally posted by idlplumb View Post
                        I've been wanting to try out these gloves for a while....

http://www.draincables.com/ProductDe...ductCode=GL104
                        save your money. i have a pair and they're useless.

for high speed sectional machines, i like welding gloves over the cheap leather gloves as they tend to wear a lot longer. but the cheap gloves are usually $1. on sale and i'll buy a few dozen. the decent welding gloves are under $10.00 and probably last 10 times longer, plus they're easier to get on and off plus they have a higher cuff.

on a drum, you're not handling the cable as much, but it's a tight wind and you need a glove that won't get stuck in the wind of the cable.

rick.

see you sunday
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks for saving me from buying junk gloves Rick.

I'm currently using normal leather gloves or high cuff welding gloves (harbor freight style - $10 for 3 pairs). They seem to do fine for drum machines but I've yet to use a sectional.
                          Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Working...
                          X