X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i thought i saw it all!!

i went to a new client today. they live in a 15 year old 4 story condo building. i walked the subterranian garage to investigate a leak they thought was coming from their tub on the 3rd floor.

what caught me was a set of 4 coaxial tv cables that were running into a 3'' jim cap serving the roof drains. what i found out was the "direct tv" installers used the roof drain pipe to run 4 sets of cable from the roof down to the garage to then distribute the signal into the assigned units.

glad i don't need to snake these lines. but one day it will need to be serviced. on that day, i've got the line:

"got good news and bad news" first, the roof is draining and you won't flood. that's the good news.
    the bad news is you don't have cable anymore.

guys, ammuse me with your off the wall "true" stories.

rick.

Those guys from DTV should lose their jobs for that shenanigan.

About 15 or 16 years ago I had a "communication tech" come into a home that I had pre-drilled late one afternoon. I couldn't get back to begin the plumbing work for a couple of days. This individual had run coaxil through nearly half of the water line holes I had drilled and used my primary vent stack holes for his main alarm and communication lines from floor to floor. I guess he thought those holes just happened to be there.

When they did not return a second phone call I "removed" the lines for them.
    Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Originally posted by plumber:
      Those guys from DTV should lose their jobs for that shenanigan.

About 15 or 16 years ago I had a "communication tech" come into a home that I had pre-drilled late one afternoon. I couldn't get back to begin the plumbing work for a couple of days. This individual had run coaxil through nearly half of the water line holes I had drilled and used my primary vent stack holes for his main alarm and communication lines from floor to floor. I guess he thought those holes just happened to be there.

When they did not return a second phone call I "removed" the lines for them.
      Plumber,

I had close to the same situation years ago. I pre-drilled holes in stud walls for water rough-in in a commercial kitchen. It was an extensive amount of holes. The next day I found almost every hole filled with electrical flexes. The work of an apprentice. A sawzal did the trick.

His foreman stormed at me, until I explained what happened. He appologized, and the apprentice was "re-trained" on construction proceedures.

the dog
      the dog

Comment

back when i did resedential we had already pulled our home runs to the panel and the SER cable which if you don't know is about a 2-3 inch diameter. The owner ot the house came in one day and said she wanted the panel behind the door. my boss pulled out all the wires and his partner pushed the panel up so that it didn't look so low. SER cable is not cheap and so they re-ran it as straight as they could and just barley had enough.

At another house we had just finished half the house when the HVAC guys decided some of our wires and some water lines were in there way and just cut it all off. IN THE FUTURE I MAY JUST TURN EVERY THING ON. maybe they'll to a better job of communitcating, after a few of their tools blow up for a change.

Someone turned a circit i was working on and blew up a pair of strippers. A few weeks later I did the same thing to my boss without knowing. he admitted it was his fault since he didn't check first and he did tell me to turn everything on and test it.

Crap happens but i can laugh about it now since I no longer have to deal with home owners trying to play contracter!

[ 12-20-2005, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: Polar Sparky 1224 ]
        "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
        "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

about 10 yrs ago ,one of my customers asked me to replace her tv mast with a new one. flat roof , mill valley
          home in the hills , no cable. i banded it to the brick chimney. i asked "who installed the old one? she said her old boy friend. the mast was stuffed in a 2" vent.
          i then asked how the master bath was draining.
          She said the tub takes for ever.
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

one time we went clear to the far east side of parkcity to a house we had finished the week before. The contractor said some of the outlets didn't work. I got my plug tester and started at the garage and found the dedicated outlet for the central vac was cold. So i went down to the panel and turned it on? I then asked on the guy's borhter if he new where the breaker panel was?

An hour drive to figure out someone can't flip a breaker!!!
            "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
            "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

I have a neighbor that has had a recurring problem with his main drain clogging up. Each time he calls me and I snake it out for him. The clog is right at 65' from the gutter drain that I use to enter. I run it 150' out to the main system in the center of the street. Last week he called and I run the drain, the next day he called again and I run it. The next day he called and said it was clogged again. He called another friend whose brother works for the metro sewer district. They brought out a SeeSnake. He had me run the drain first and watched where the clog was. They ran the camera down to the 65' mark and all of a sudden his camera went nuts. It was jumping up and down and slapping sideways against the pipe. He started pulling it back about a foot and stopped. There was 2 chipmonks staring right into the camera. The guy running it fell on his A$$ becuase it startled him. There was a small hole in the clay pipe and the chipmonks kept trying to clog up the hole to stop the sewage from getting into thier nest. The guy with the camera will not give us a copy of the tape yet. He has submitted a copy to the video show Americas funniest videos. He is hoping to win the 10 grand prize. It is funny as hell.
              info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

When I used to frame houses, the plumbers would drive us nuts. I came to work one monday morning to find that the plumbers needed some 2x4's. they ripped them out of a load carrying wall. Couldn't run to the lumber yard I guess.

If the toilets happen to fall over a joist, they would cut the joist and let it hang there. wouldn't tell us, jus cut a section out. they were a bit up set that they would have to come back to fix the section of pipe that was removed.

A sprinkler installer put his pipe on top of ceiling joists to a closet. The problem was that the ceilng to the closet didn't go to the ceilng of the bed room. The home owner wanted to make a shelf up there to put up nick nacks or what ever. The house was palstered and I didn't know of the pipe. tossed a sheet of ply up there and snapped the pipe in two. Water and anti freeze pouring out all over. Even coming out of the light fixtures.

Many many more, but those a re ones that I remember the most.

Jim

Comment

jjaO,

Thats bad. Those guys might have been installing pipes but they were not plumbers. Not professional ones anyway. And its idiots like them that give the trade a bad name. There are fittings available to allow for the rough in of a water closet over a floor joist that calls for only a minimal removal of material. In the event of a dead square set then asking the carpenter to frame a header should be a no brainer for anyone with an IQ above that of driveway gravel.

New York City might be on to something. By requiring poured lead joints and cast iron for their DWV the idiots with a hack saw and "can of glue" can't walk in and claim to be a plumber.

Comment

A few months back i ran into a homeowner basement bathroom addition. It "looked" pretty nice and expensive. There was a peculiar step up into the bathroom about a 10'x10' room. The problem was that nothing would drain. They had not vented anything and they had dumped all the drain lines into a floor drain. The wonderful people at home depot told them to do it this way. I told them they would have to rip it all out and start over. The guys wife cried a lot and he was mad. I gave him the estimate, unfortunately i have not heard back from him.

I've seen and i'm sure y'all have too - various trap repair devices that are telescopic like a drinking straw. I have to chuckle at those every time i see them. I won't touch those without replacing them with proper parts.

One of the most creative trap replacements that i've seen was an old shop vac hose.

On a different note: Plumber - is that true about NYC? Is PVC not approved for use there? Are there any other places like that?

Comment

Theron,

I have only heard examples from other people. Its not first hand knowledge and as such it may not have been wise for me to post it. I think its a good idea where so many millions of people are packed together. Todays new materials are making it easy enough for a mentally challenged 12 year old to join pipe successfully. When there is such a dense population its in the publics best interests that idiots like jjaO was talking about cannot jeparodize the health of so many by installing bad and improper plumbing.

The town I have been calling home for years did not accept PVC for under concrete until the early 80's. Fortunately many new construction codes and specifications now forbid the use of any plastic material in plenum return ceilings. While no hub cast iron is still far easier than the old lead and oakum joints any idiot on the planet cannot just sling it up in the hangers and cut off the excess with a hacksaw. Plus regardless of the temperatures (within reason) of the medium passing through the pipe, cast iron will not sag, bend, stretch and distort like pvc and abs.

In buildings where executive offices and public meetings take place and where there is adjacent plumbing above or beside the rooms in question it only makes sense to install cast iron. It is simply the quietest pipe you can use. Properly installed it will provide 40 to 80 years of trouble free service.

Comment

Originally posted by Theron:
                        A few months back i ran into a homeowner basement bathroom addition. It "looked" pretty nice and expensive. There was a peculiar step up into the bathroom about a 10'x10' room. The problem was that nothing would drain. They had not vented anything and they had dumped all the drain lines into a floor drain. The wonderful people at home depot told them to do it this way. I told them they would have to rip it all out and start over. The guys wife cried a lot and he was mad. I gave him the estimate, unfortunately i have not heard back from him.

I've seen and i'm sure y'all have too - various trap repair devices that are telescopic like a drinking straw. I have to chuckle at those every time i see them. I won't touch those without replacing them with proper parts.

One of the most creative trap replacements that i've seen was an old shop vac hose.

On a different note: Plumber - is that true about NYC? Is PVC not approved for use there? Are there any other places like that?
                        California does not accept any plastic pipe in commercial buildings or residential buildings above two stories. So most commercial plumbers here have very little experience with ABS or PVC drain waste and vent systems.

Having spent the last few months working in our San Bernadino Division, I am finding that some of the cities in that region allow ABS to be used in their juristictions.

For those who do not live in California, San Bernadino County is east of Los Angeles, in the desert area.

the dog
                        the dog

Comment

Dog,

It looks like California has it together for larger and commercial buildings out there. For fire safety and quiet operation (not to mention strength) cast iron is tops. Plus it keeps some of the untrained hacks away from improperly altering the system.

The first time a major health problem affecting more than a half dozen people is traced back to an idiot with a hack saw and a piece of plastic pipe I think we will see a higher demand for cast iron. It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see more lead and Oakum joints above ground.

Comment

plumber, see my new topic on cast iron splitting. any thoughts?

Comment

how much wax is enough?

i went to a multi-million dollar penthouse yesterday to check on a swollen, warped wood floor in a bathroom. advised the owner to have the floor replaced and i'll install the toilet. he wanted me to fix it for the time being.

i removed the 1 piece black kohler toilet an discovered that the closet flange was 2.5'' below the hardwood floor. the prior plumber had installed 5 plastic spacer rings and a wax ring. also the brass bolts were extended by soldering 2 bolts together.

i spoke to the owner and told him i have to replace the flange, and raise it to the finish floor. will also add a 2.5'' "dutchman" to fill the void. the instant set ring is going to be fun to remove.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X