X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using copper for exhaust piping

I have a older truck that the exhaust needs repaired,my question is would the copper give off fumes?Also is thier brazing rod that I could use to join copper to steel?

I HAD THE SAME IDEA MANY YEARS AGO. WAS ADVISED BY A FRIEND WHO OWNED A MIDAS SHOP THAT COPPER WAS NOT GOOD. SAID THAT IT WOULD HOLD IN THE HEAT TOO LONG. DON'T KNOW ABOUT THAT, BUT STAINLESS STEEL IS MORE COMMON NOW. BRAZING ROD WITH THE PROPER FLUX WIL JOIN DIFFERENT METALS. WHY NOT JUST USE A FLANGE CONNECTION SO THAT THEY CAN BE BOLTED.

Comment

Rick,I had thoughts about flanges but the problem is that it is flared.I tried to aneal the pipe and use a hammer,but it was leaking through.I would use stainless but copper is free to me,and easier to work with.Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Yep Rick's right copper is not good for this. Copper is a non ferrous metal and becomes harder as it is "worked". It will embrittle from vibration over time and crack. This is one reason why you don't see copper brakelines or copper tube for gas piping on motorhomes. Its not safe.

Comment

Working...
        X