X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleanout leaking

New house under construction. Owner is doing plumbing.

First time I used teflon tape to seal cleanout threads and only hand tightened the cleanouts. 3 of 5 cleanouts leaked when water added to the dwv.

Removed all the teflon tape and used pipe joint compound (cream with teflon) and used a wrench to fully tighten the cleanouts. 2 out of 5 leaking when filled with water.

Removed the 2 leaking cleanout plugs. Cleaned thoroughly. Used purple primer to assure that the threads were dry/clean. Used new (male) plugs. Used pipe joint compound (cream with teflon). These 2 still leak when dwv filled with water.

Any suggestions that would be easier than cutting out and replacing the entire cleanout?

-Rich

Rich, remember what I just Told you(in you're other question) primer does to pvc you really think those theads are good anymore? Primer is not used to dry fittings. Try just applying some T plus 2 from rector seal to the male threads only on the plug and tighten the plug with a wrench. Hopefully this will work, and if you're using teflon tape make sure you're applying it in the direction of the threads or you're wasting time

[ 10-03-2005, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: Quescodeplumb ]
    christopher

Comment

richfrank, it's not uncommon for the c/o to leak under test. typically when we fill the entire system up to the roof vents, we develope more than the required pressure of 5 psi. a 10' head test is all that's required on the system.
      a couple of suggestions. try to dope both the male and female threads and also use teflon.typically doping of female threads are not approved, but on a c/o plug it's not going to restrict the flow. what is the head of water (height) on the plug, tee. lower to 10'. if all else fails, use a nipple and cap. the threads on a nipple tend to have a true taper and will tighten up. remember that these test tees, c/o tees will never be exposed to this kind of head pressure in real life. if it's only a drip, most inspectors will know it's a temporary situation and in reality will not leak when the test is done. you would be amazed in real life what a c/o plug looks like after it's been in service for a period of time.
      with a little bit of patience, you'll get the plugs to seal and pass inspection. also make sure after the test to break loose the plugs so years from now you'll be able to get them off. especially if they will be tuff to access inside a cabinet or the like.

rick.

Comment

For once Rick is talking some sense. (Just kidding Rick). Most inspectors I've worked with will not call you on clean-out leaks (although they can).

the dog
        the dog

Comment

It probably was not a good idea to use primer on your PVC pipe threads. However, If you use teflon tape along with pipe dope on the threads and apply pipe dope on the female threads as well you should be able to get a seal. Try swapping the plugs from one cleanout to the other as well.

Since you have probably stretched the threads by now if the above does not work you may need to replace the cleanout fittings. Before you go to that extreme try new plugs as well. Be sure to use a quality brand of thread sealant. The hardware store brands have never done anything for me but cause headaches.
          Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Thanks for all the ideas.

I put on several layers of teflon tape. So far the cleanouts are not leaking this time.

[fingers crossed]

-Rich

Comment

Working...
            X