X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hay rick and other helpfuls

dug down to bad teracotta lateral. serious roots at several cracked joints. will repair with abs and missions. questions,will roots get into mission clay joints in the future?is it true a band of copper flashing outside of coupling will discourage roots?
    nice little flowering tree, but i,ll remove it if you think
    root damage will return.
    thank,s in advance
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Originally posted by toolaholic:
    dug down to bad teracotta lateral. serious roots at several cracked joints. will repair with abs and missions. questions,will roots get into mission clay joints in the future?is it true a band of copper flashing outside of coupling will discourage roots?
    nice little flowering tree, but i,ll remove it if you think
    root damage will return.
    thank,s in advance
    By "teracotta" I assume you mean "clay". Having installed hundreds of feet of clay pipe (in my side of the industry, we deal with contract specifications) I am not a fan of this type of pipe. Particularly in California, which is earthquake territory. Hell, the stuff will crack if you look at it to hard.

If you're trying to sell a job, I would push for plastic. In my opinion it is the best sewer pipe available. ABS is cheaper, but I like PVC. I think it holds up better. Plastic, in any event, is better because it tends to deflect roots, and doesn't have a rough interior like cast iron.

Your Hero,

The Pup
    the dog

Comment

thank,s dog. this my own house. 1959 circa.

i have all the abs fittings,and pipe in stock from my shop. if i replaced it all, i would go with pvc. this repair is only 8ft. the camera shows no problems elsewhere.
      thankyou
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

TOOL, LOOKS LIKE THE DOG GOT HIS DISTEMPER VACCINE. THE IDEA ABOUT COPPER SHEETING IS ? I LIKE TO BACKFILL AROUND THE JOINTS AND PIPE WITH COPPER SULFATE. THIS IS THE KEY INGREDIENT 99% OF MOST ROOT DESTROYERS, COST APPROX. $10. FOR 2# CONTAINER.
        MOST IMPORTANTLY IS TO LIMIT YOUR OVER-EXCAVATION OF THE DITCH. THIS IS MOST LIKELY THE CAUSE OF YOUR CURRENT ISSUE WITH THE PIPE 2' FROM THE MID CLEANOUT.
        I AGREE WITH THE DOG, I PREFER PLASTIC, PVC BEING WHITE AND TYPICALLY MORE TRUE THAN 20' OF BLACK ABS. ALSO MAKES FOR A GREAT SURFACE FOR FUTURE VIDEO IF NEEDED.
        RICK

Comment

toolaholic,

If you are doing it yourself I would not mess with the repair and just replace the entire thing. ABS or PVC are equally adequate for the job.

If you plan on doing a repair remember it is a temporary solution which you may need to address again some day.

Caulder Couplings and or Mission Couplings will let small fingerling roots in before to long. Once those small roots hit those nutrients the repair will be history.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

thankyou all, i will dump the copper sulfate in at couplings. hate to dig up a beautiful concrete walkway above my side sewer! was lucky and had a great drain guy out! rest of run looks great,and he suggested local repair only. and appreciate help from the dog.
            tired of fighting these days. was a sgt. usmc
            thank,s all

Comment

Agree. Copper sulfate works best.

If you have a clay pipe system for your main building sewer and it is located under poured concrete it might be wise to set up a seperate savings account. That way when it does become time to replace this line you can just write a substantial check and not have to talk to your banker.

Good luck and be safe in an 8 foot hole. Men have been killed in shallower ones.
              Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

If the trench is 8' deep I would HIGHLY suggest shoring. I'd hate to see yet another story on the news about a plumber buried because he didn't want to spend the time or money to support the trench.

ps. Rick, this dog has not lost his bite. I'm sure someone will post an assine thread that will get me barking.

Seriuosly, I'm a fairly nice guy, just highly opinionated. Don't take me too seriously.

dog
                the dog

Comment

TOOL, IF YOU REALLY WANT TO CHANGE THE ENTIRE SYSTEM, BUT DON'T WANT TO DIG IT ALL UP, I HAVE AN ALTERNATIVE FOR YOU.
                  EITHER PIPE BURSTING, OR RELINING. PIPE BURSTING WORKS GREAT WHEN THE UNDERGROUND PIPE IS IN POOR CONDITION, SUCH AS MISALIGNED AND OFFSET JOINTS.
                  RELINING WHEN THE JOINTS ARE ALIGNED AND THE PIPE CAN BE PROPERLY CLEANED. BOTH SYSTEMS CAN BE RUN 100+ FEET. INCLUDING SOME 45 DEGREE TURNS.
                  TRENCHLESS REQUIRES AN ENTRY AND EXIT PIT. THE EXIT PIT, PULLING SIDE IS APPROX. 2' X 4'WIDE, AND 6'' DEEPER THAN THE PIPE. THE ENTRY IS JUST ENOUGH TO GET TO THE PIPE AND MAKE A BANDED CONNECTION. THE MATERIAL USED IS "HDPE", HIGH DENSITY POLY ETHYLENE. SDR17. YOU CAN BEAT IT ALL DAY WITH A SLEDGE HAMMER. THE 20' SECTIONS ARE FUSED TOGETHER AT 500 DEGREES. THIS MAKES FOR A JOINTLESS SYSTEM THAT NO ROOT CAN PENETRATE. THE CONNECTION TO THE START AND END ARE DONE WITH MISSION BANDS.
                  PIPE RELINING IS VERY SIMILAR TO A CAST, EXCEPT IT'S DONE INSIDE OF THE CLEANED PIPE. IT DOES REDUCE THE INSIDE APPROX. 1/4''. THE FIBERGLASS IS TYPICALLY MIXED WITH AN EPOXY RESIN WITH A LIMITED CURE TIME BASED ON TEMPERATURE AND SPEED. IT IS TYPICALLY BLOWN OR PULLED INTO THE LINE FROM EITHER 1 END (BLOWN) OR PULLED FROM 2 ENDS. THE RAW MATERIALS ARE MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE THAN PIPE BURSTING (AKA. TRENCHLESS). THE TRENCHLESS REQUIRES A LARGE PULLING MACHINE ALONG WITH THE FUSION MACHINE TO MAKE UP THE SECTIONS.
                  TOOL I DO THE WORK, BUT MY WIFE WHO HELPS WITH THE RUNNING OF THE MACHINE REQUIRES MORE THAN A STEAK DINNER. PLUS THE MACHINE COST MORE THAN A HERD OF CATTLE?
                  DON'T THINK YOU'RE READY FOR THIS PERMANANT FIX YET. IF YOU WANT MY OPINION, MAKE ME A COPY OF YOUR VIDEO TAPE AND I'LL LOOK AT IT. FROM WHAT YOU'VE WRITTEN IT'S ONLY A LOCAL PROBLEM. DIG IT UP AND REPAIR AS NOTED EARLIER. POUR SOME COPPER SULFATE AROUND THE REPAIR. TAKE YOURSELF OUT FOR THAT STEAK DINNER, FOR A JOB WELL DONE AND DESERVED.
                  RICK.

Comment

thank,s again, all. trench is wide open ,only 3 ft deep.
                    no dips ,missalignment, or roots in rest of run.

didn,t over dig. have my own compactor. it'l be complete today . thank,s , the irishman

Comment

repair worked out well. when i cut out the old, i discovered one of my toto needs a rebuild [dumping some water past the flapper] used copper sulfate on 3 missions and installed 1/2 "pvc pipe at each mission to surfase, will dump a little cp. sul. once a yearin them to keep roots away. momas happy

Comment

TOOL, GLAD IT WORKED OUT. NEAT TRICK WITH THE 1/2'' PVC. RISER. I DON'T THINK YOU'LL HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT IT FOR A REAL REAL LONG TIME.
                        MY BROTHER IN LAW HAS A CHINESE WATER TORTURE TOTO TOO. TOTO SENT HIM A NEW FLAPPER TO REPLACE 2 YEAR OLD ORIGINAL. DIDN'T WORK. I GUESS I'LL HAVE TO GET THAT STEAK FROM HIM. POSSIBLY A REFILL TUBE TOO LONG INTO THE OVERFLOW CREATING A SYPHON LEG. THE REFILL TUBE SHOULD NOT EXTEND BELOW THE WATER LINE OF THE TANK.
                        RICK.

Comment

Working...
                        X