X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drill auger usage

can a Ridgid Powerspin auger be used to breakup a blockage in a porcelain toilet?

thanks for the responses ahead of time
    Last edited by franklie; 03-21-2006, 04:10 PM.

It could depending on the stoppage but it still would not work as well as a toilet auger would work.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow
      It could depending on the stoppage but it still would not work as well as a toilet auger would work.

Mark
      thanks for the response. a toilet auger is preferred because the feed is 1/2" line instead of a 1/4"line in the drill auger?

Comment

franklie,

You really need to use both and the answer will be obvious to you. The larger cable of the auger gives you more power. In addition, the tube of the auger helps get the cable through the trap of the water closet.

In my opinion you should never use a power snake on a water closet. I have done it (not with 1/4") but knew when I did that I would likely be buying a water closet for my poor decision.

The chances are if you do try it, your 1/4" cable will tie itself in a knot inside of the water closet.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow
          franklie,

You really need to use both and the answer will be obvious to you. The larger cable of the auger gives you more power. In addition, the tube of the auger helps get the cable through the trap of the water closet.

In my opinion you should never use a power snake on a water closet. I have done it (not with 1/4") but knew when I did that I would likely be buying a water closet for my poor decision.

The chances are if you do try it, your 1/4" cable will tie itself in a knot inside of the water closet.

Mark
          thanks for the advice

Comment

Power Auger usage in a toilet

I'm not a plumber and don't play one on television. (I'll bet some of those electrician types are going to have a frickin FIELD Day with this.) But in my humble opinion, I would not ever put power anything down a porceline toilet. Those toilets are fragile as glass, that's why so many people end up buying new ones after they over tighten the floor hold down bolts. Go to HD or some other hardware type store and buy yourself a nice closet auger (also called a toilet bowl auger. Looks like a regular snake but has a rubber piece that helps the snake make the tight turn inside the toilet trap and that rubber piece also keeps the metal snake from marking up the porceline when it turns in that tight quarter. Those toilet augers have enough length to them that they will route out anything in the trap and it will reach all the way to the floor drain. Maybe some of the real plumbers here will tell you different, I just hope they don't flame me like those electricians would in the electrical forum below. (LOL).. Hope that helps guy. Like I said, this is just my opinion.
            Jim D. (Ducking real low and watching for flying plumbers helpers aimed at my head.)

Comment

jimdon, only a couple of minor faults, but very good for what it's worth. no plumber should knock you on this. well maybe just a little bark from the "dog"

i've actually used a k-50 with the 5/8'' sectional into a toilet with a rubber hose as a guide ube to protect the china. i wasn't actually trying to clear a stoppage, but just check to see if the toilet was bad or the piping was bad.

a good closet auger is 6' long. 3' is always out and 3' stored in the handle. don't buy a cheap 3' auger. the cable is too flimsy and will typically kink. also the ones with a drop head on the end are very tuff to get through the newer 1.6gpm toilets. i've always prefered the units made by general sorry ridgid

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK
                i've always prefered the units made by general sorry ridgid

rick.
                DITTO HERE

Comment

thanks

a big thanks to all of you for your information and opinions

Comment

Originally posted by JimDon
                    I'm not a plumber and don't play one on television. (I'll bet some of those electrician types are going to have a frickin FIELD Day with this.) But in my humble opinion, I would not ever put power anything down a porceline toilet. Those toilets are fragile as glass, that's why so many people end up buying new ones after they over tighten the floor hold down bolts. Go to HD or some other hardware type store and buy yourself a nice closet auger (also called a toilet bowl auger. Looks like a regular snake but has a rubber piece that helps the snake make the tight turn inside the toilet trap and that rubber piece also keeps the metal snake from marking up the porceline when it turns in that tight quarter. Those toilet augers have enough length to them that they will route out anything in the trap and it will reach all the way to the floor drain. Maybe some of the real plumbers here will tell you different, I just hope they don't flame me like those electricians would in the electrical forum below. (LOL).. Hope that helps guy. Like I said, this is just my opinion.
                    Jim D. (Ducking real low and watching for flying plumbers helpers aimed at my head.)
                    You're right on the money. Putting a power snake cable down a toilet P-trap is a really bad idea. The vitrious china of toilets is'nt made to withstand the torques available with a power auger, and indeed the porcelain will get scratched to hell without that rubber guide. Also, I can't tell you how many stories I have about green roto-rooter type guys who snake a main line from a clean-out the wrong way and end up with the cable coming out of a toilet on the inside and destroying the toilet and ending up having to pay to replace it. lol

Comment

Roto-Rooter Cincinnati is #1

Total slam on Roto-Rooter out of nowhere - I don't slander the names of other companies on here that do poor work in my area. Even the one that recently blew up a house.
                      In relation to the post, If a 6ft auger/shop vac/shaking the toilet upside down won't remove the obstruction from the toilet and the problem isn't in the line (having verified that by removing the toilet and running water in the line) Then a new toilet is the way to go especially if your old toilet is more than 25 years old. They're cheap and you'll be a lot happier with that nice new toilet than trying in vain for several hours or days to remove something.

Logically - the money one could spend renting an auger if one did not own one is at least half the price of a new toilet. Which you will need to buy anyway after the auger destroys the toilet and shoves porcelain into the drain line.

Comment

I would not take it too personal as the name roto-rooter is used for people other than Roto-Rooter employees.

Comment

Oh i know - there are several copycat names everywhere - I'll admit a few of our green guys have made some thousand dollar mistakes lately, but you'll have that in every plumbing company that doesn't have an apprentice program tailored to the individual, instead of the masses. Three months is not enough time for someone green, it is enough time for someone who already has experience and just needs to learn our paperwork and phone system and machines. Along with being a plumber and drain cleaner, I'm a certified field trainer for Roto-Rooter. If i don't think a guy is ready at the end of the three months - I keep him in my truck until he is. But not everyone does this and those are the ones making mistakes. I'm going to start a new thread about apprentice mistakes - this oughtta be funny.

Comment

Working...
                          X