Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never installed a boiler because you never see them or need them down here in Alabama (or at least I haven't) so I couldn't say whether it was right or wrong, but I'm willing to take everyone's word for it. What I can say though is that it was awfully ugly work even if it was correct.

I was trying to set a one piece fiberglass tub in a new house once. I had pushed the bottom into the space too far (but only a little bit). I used the heel of my boot to tap the inside of the tub, just to bump it back out a little, and kicked a hole right through the tub.

Comment

AZ.. In what part of the country was that incredible boiler installation performed?
      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

there is a line in a cartoon that says it all about that boiler install"which way does it go goerge which way does it go"and that all i have to say about that(forrest gump)
        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I once had an apprentice convinced that the reason he was tripping breakers with a saw was because he had a kink in his extention cord.

When I was pretty green, I once set a chop-saw on the floor (with it's rear aimed toward a white, glazed tile wall) and then proceeded to cut a few lengths of unistrut. The saw was ~4' from the wall. I soon found out that sparks and glazed tile don't get along. The GC's foreman scolded me a bit, but my master wouldn't let me live it down. It turned out that a cabinet was being installed there anyways, so it didn't need replacing. After that, I did a lot of digging, lol.

Comment

i did it again today.went to install a water service sweated up a "950" back flow with a pressure relife valve i have done this a few times no problem ran the pipe up to the house no problem,connected the servive to the home with yet another pressure relife valve.dang it not a big deal to cut it out but still i hate when i do things like that oh well atleast it was pvc and cpvc from the back flow to the house so it only took 3 mins to fix.
            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Re: Apprentice mistakes

Originally posted by AZPlumber View Post
              This was the result of letting a new-hire apprentice install a residential boiler on his own after he swore he'd done "many boilers and manifolds";

I'm sorry for the disturbing images.

Have you suggested to the homeowner that he might be able to sell that thing to the local art museum and make a bundle?
              If it ain't broke, I haven't seen it.

Comment

My first year as an apprentice I was working at hall where they had concerts,shows, conferences ex . We where doing a big expansion. That was over a year long project. I had the job of deleting the old A.C. rain water leaders, and running a bigger cast iron sections right over one of the old halls. They where still using the halls so we had limited time in a day that we could work loud. Well to make a long story short I forgot to put a cap on one of the old A.C. pipes and then I left to go to trade school. Well about two weeks later the Primier of Alberta's was eating lunch there and it happend to rain on his table.( Ralph Cline )Oops well I did get a call from my boss, and he just said be a little more careful next time.

Comment

when i first started in the trade i was sent out alone after a month. my first call was a sewer back up in a house . i augared as far as i could and could not proceed past one point. i told the customer here line was collapsed and it had to be replaced. she brike up the basement floor and had athe pipes exposed, then i got an angry call. the line was fine i was hitting the flapper on her backwater valve( flood protection device mandatory in western canada) and her line was in great shape. 2 feet past the valve a clump of tree roots was cleared and all was running well again. dont sent new guys out alone or it waill cost you big!!!!
                  how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

There was a guy in the last company I worked for who went to make a repair on a Sloan valve on a urinal. This was in a WalMart with a McDonalds in it. He had a full blown gusher before he realized he didn't know how to shut it off. This sprayed water for probably 20 minutes. He had his jacket, shirt and paper towels stuffed under the door to try and get the water to go down the floor drain. Finally a WalMart customer came in with a screwdriver and shut off the water. After opening the door, all of the McDonald's and part of Walmart was flooded.

needless to say, our company didn't look very professional that day.

Brent
                    Brent

Comment

the other plumber told a helper to go catch an 8" core below in an office building. he didn't go to the right room. when the core driller went through the core fell 5' through the tee bar ceiling then 8' to beside a lady at her desk!!! she went home, it could have killed her.

fastplumber out.

Comment

The coring guy thought he was drilling 24'' of concrete instead of 13''.No one was down below to detour parking traffic or catch the core

That was a lucky day,no injuries or damage

Comment

i was clipping a 12' peace of 1/2" copper in a wall and it fell through the hole, i thought it fell into a lunch room, at lunch time. luckly it fell 2 floors down in a closet.

fastplumber out.

Comment

Flooded theater #3 in a twelve plex.3" water wide open at 80 lbs..Ever since then I've always wondered what it woul be like watching a movie in a rowboat.

Comment

one helpper was standing with his mouth open. a 3" mj clamp let go it was slopped the wrong way i grabbed it. but brian got a mouth full of brown water. boy did we laugh. (not brian)

Comment

Full house remodel for Beverly Hills plastic surgeon.I was the adrenaline junky punk the contractor told to break stucco down the outside of the house where a room we were not given access to was.

To this day 20 years later I will not forget the look on that man's face as he told me I had destroyed the gold leaf mural that his friend who painted it was not going to be on earth long enough to fix the damage.

Comment

Working...
                                X