Cutting cast iron pipe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FINER9998
    PLUMBDOG... Thanks you for your comments. In the future, I will endeavor to watch out for the overly sensitive toes on the forum. BTW, what's really interesting is that those forum members with the sensitive toes were not, generally speaking, among those who made the helpful suggestions.
    You still did not answer the question. What is your occupation? Maybe some of us will need advice from you. You got free advice here, what do you offer those who contributed?

My guess is zero.
    the dog

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10
      You still did not answer the question. What is your occupation? Maybe some of us will need advice from you. You got free advice here, what do you offer those who contributed?

My guess is zero.

YOU ARE 100 % RIGHT .why cant the members post there occupation and the state they live in . what do they have to hide?
      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Thanks for the info

I just registered so I could log in and thank the helpers for this info. I'm pretty handy and have tackled some projects that most people would hire a pro to do, but never ran into iron pipe. Copper, ABS, PVC: no problem, but how the hell do they cut this stuff when its jammed into a wall?

So I googled the question and wound up here and I'm happy - I LOVE my reciprocating saw. I remind my wife of Jack Nicholson in The Shining with it, so she's not going to be thrilled - but I' happy.

I'm also thankful and, as was requested, if anybody wants to know the dimensional difference between a Martin bridgeplate in maple or rosewood, let me know.

Comment

PLUMBDOG..I am self employed. I own a few small businesses from dry cleaning to financial services. When I see a thread that I can provide some information on, I post a reply.
          there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998
            PLUMBDOG..I am self employed. I own a few small businesses from dry cleaning to financial services. When I see a thread that I can provide some information on, I post a reply.
            Finer9998,

Finer,

What you are saying is that you own several businesses, but you can't hire a plumber? Obviously you have no clue how to run a business. You did not budget for mechanical repairs?

If you are an expert plumber and electrician (based on your post), why are you on this website?

You have nothing to offer anyone here. I certainly would not take business advice from you.
            the dog

Comment

To those of you who give sound advise based on experience, Thank you

For those of you who think because you have a license or certificate, it makes only you qualified to give advice I would remind you that this country was made great by people who had the courage to do things themselves and not depend on "all the kings men" with " his majesty's permission" to do the work. None of you who live west of the Alleghenys would be there otherwise.
              If you want to get a certificate that guarantees you income for life, go to France. They even riot when they have the possibility of getting fired from McDonalds!!
              Those that hide behind a certificate, degree, or current occupation only show their insecurity in their own knowledge. If something is factually or legally in error, say so. Problem solved. To attack a person's integrity or credibility based on what they are currently doing just shows your ignorance of how much a person can learn and know about problems that they have faced in their past.
              Many people who come to this and like forums can not afford the price you require to do your work and make a living. But, they still need to survive and fix their problem. To you its a plumbing/electrical issue. To them, the dollars you charge may well be dollars they need to eat or get their required medicines. When you get on the "hire a professional" theme, others who realize that may not be an option give advice.
              From someone who has almost six decades on this planet, been to over thirty different countries and experienced their "hospitality" , been to almost every one of these 50 United States (never been to Maine or Vermont), and thinks this is the greatest country on earth to live in, despite being literally spit on by this country's more "enlightened" and "self righteous" after coming home from a year in a war zone at this country's bequest:
              Get over yourself and contribute something meaningful. To be more direct: "Grow up!" You got an adult's job, start acting like one.

Rant over
              Last edited by Gofor; 05-14-2006, 10:02 PM.
              Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

when i started doing plumbing about 25 yrs ago i started by just handing a friend fittings .and to this day i never went to school for plumbing or HVAC .

i never had to be certified . and even if i was that does not make a deferents.

i think we are all hear to help others with the things we know better then they do and hope that they can help us or someone else someday.

if we told every one to hire some to do the work then why should ask for or even log on here ???

so if some of the licenses or is certified and does not want to help then do not respond

thats my 3 cents
                Charlie

new work pictures 12/09

Comment

Originally posted by Gofor
                  To those of you who give sound advise based on experience, Thank you

For those of you who think because you have a license or certificate, it makes only you qualified to give advice I would remind you that this country was made great by people who had the courage to do things themselves and not depend on "all the kings men" with " his majesty's permission" to do the work. None of you who live west of the Alleghenys would be there otherwise.
                  If you want to get a certificate that guarantees you income for life, go to France. They even riot when they have the possibility of getting fired from McDonalds!!
                  Those that hide behind a certificate, degree, or current occupation only show their insecurity in their own knowledge. If something is factually or legally in error, say so. Problem solved. To attack a person's integrity or credibility based on what they are currently doing just shows your ignorance of how much a person can learn and know about problems that they have faced in their past.
                  Many people who come to this and like forums can not afford the price you require to do your work and make a living. But, they still need to survive and fix their problem. To you its a plumbing/electrical issue. To them, the dollars you charge may well be dollars they need to eat or get their required medicines. When you get on the "hire a professional" theme, others who realize that may not be an option give advice.
                  From someone who has almost six decades on this planet, been to over thirty different countries and experienced their "hospitality" , been to almost every one of these 50 United States (never been to Maine or Vermont), and thinks this is the greatest country on earth to live in, despite being literally spit on by this country's more "enlightened" and "self righteous" after coming home from a year in a war zone at this country's bequest:
                  Get over yourself and contribute something meaningful. To be more direct: "Grow up!" You got an adult's job, start acting like one.

Rant over

What's your occupation?
                  the dog

Comment

Amen to that Brother

Gofor,
                    Well said! We see too many sacrosanct "experts" taking shots at somebody in these forums because they don't have the correct pedigree. I could not agree with you more.
                    Jim Don

Comment

How far from the original topic will this thread go ?!

Comment

Originally posted by Australian Plumber Josh
                        How far from the original topic will this thread go ?!
                        as far as some one has something to add with out getting to nasty
                        Charlie

new work pictures 12/09

Comment

Re: Cutting cast iron pipe

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                          There is only two reasons to cut CI without either a chop saw or a snap cutter. The first is the pipe is in place and you cannot use a chop saw or a snap cutter. The second reason is your too cheap to buy a chop saw or a snap cutter.

Mark
                          This buy far is one of the dumbest answers one could give. You spent more time writting stupid replies , then worrying about the pennies you lose for NOT getting the Job.

Comment

Originally posted by Wings21 View Post

This buy far is one of the dumbest answers one could give. You spent more time writting stupid replies , then worrying about the pennies you lose for NOT getting the Job.
                            Welcome to the forum.
                            If it appeases you, take a glimpse through Utah's posts...though I'm sure he's nowhere near the professional you are, he does have some accumen based on a "wee" bit of experience.

Comment

Mr. Gofor, By your reasoning I must only surmise that you feel that lawyers, doctors, dentists, structural engineers, and architects should not need to hold a license either. Or is that somehow "different" Let me remind you that the plumbing "profession" is over 2000 years old and is not a trade, or occupation. It, like the above is a true profession. So next time you have a tooth acting up, or need a spot of surgery, why not come see me? I'll be more than glad to hack the problem out.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
                                What's your occupation?
                                Classic
                                I miss you Dog
                                Last edited by drtyhands; 09-01-2008, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X