Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
two toilet questions Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • two toilet questions

    on my own toto, one of them takes way too much down pressure on lever to flush. lever works easy when dry.
    have cleaned up flapper and seat to no avail

    cust. toilet runs on,removed tank and replaced complete flapper drain assy. ,still loosing water!
    any ideas? thanks tool
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

  • #2
    toilet 1 - move the chain closer to the handle to provide more mechanical advantage

    Toilet 2 - is the water draining down the overflow tube in the center? Lower the water level to below the overflow

    Comment


    • #3
      thank,s wbrooks waters not near overflow on #2

      played with chain also
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

      Comment


      • #4
        TOTO HAS CHANGED THEIR FLAPPER OVER THE YEARS TO CONTEND WITH THE CLORINE AND CHLORAMINES. TYPICALLY THE FLAPPER WILL GET GUMMY, GOOEY. THIS WILL CAUSE STICKING.REPLACE THE FLAPPER. ALSO THERE SHOULD BE NO CHEMICAL CLEANERS IN THE TANK. THEY CONTAIN CHLORINE AND WILL AFFECT PLASTICS AND RUBBER BASED PRODUCTS.
        AS FAR AS THE DRIPPING ISSUE GOES, CHECK FOR A REFILL HOSE THAT IS TOO LONG. IF IT EXTENDS INTO THE OVERFLOW BELOW THE WATER LEVEL, IT WILL CREATE A SYPHON THAT WILL SUCK WATER FROM THE TANK. YOU CAN DYE TEST THE WATER IN THE TANK TO SPEED UP THE TEST. A LITTLE BIT OF FOOD COLORING AFTER THE TANK HAS FILLED WILL PROVE THIS. IF COLORED WATER TURN UP IN THE BOWL, WITHOUT FLUSHING, THEN YOU HAVE A LEAK. A FLAPPER, FLUSH VALVE, BALLCOCK, OR REFILL TUBE IS THE PROBLEM. ISOLATE THE PROBLEM.

        RICK.

        Comment


        • #5
          thank,s rick ,from now on, i,ll just replace both the ball cock asy, andflapper package as a policy. thank,s
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

          Comment


          • #6
            TOOL, YOU DON'T NECESSARLY NEED TO CHANGE BOTH THE FLAPPER AND BALLCOCK, BUT TOTO HAS HAD AN ISSUE WITH THEIR BALLCOCK. THERE HAS BEEN A PROBLEM WITH THE HUNTER STYLE O.E.M. BALLCOCK. I PREFER A FLUIDMASTER 400-A, AS A REPLACEMENT.
            IT'S CHEEP ENOUGH TO REPLACE A $6.OO BALLCOCK AND A FLAPPPER. DEPENDING ON THE STYLE OF FLAPPER, G-MAX, POWER GRAVITY, OR TRADITIONAL. A FLAPPER CAN RUN ANYWHERE FROM $2.- $8.00. I'M SURE THAT YOUR TIME IS WORTH MORE THAN TO GO BACK TWICE. MAKE SURE YOU DYE TEST TO SPEED UP THE TESTING PROCESS.
            RICK.

            Comment


            • #7
              Rick is correct. Though the ToTo brand came out long after I quit service work the technology has not changed much.

              One other thing to check: If after determining that the flapper, ballcock, and re fill tube are not causing your problem check the rubber seal beneath the flush valve. Not the tank to bowl gasket but the seal under the flushvalve inside the tank. This can be an irritating leak to find, sometimes the china around that hole is slightly deformed and allows a very slight amount of water to weep through. On older toilets sometimes it just deteriorates and fails. The gasket mentioned is only an issue about 1% of the time. Rick covered the other 99%.

              If you are losing water out of the bowl and not the tank put coloring in the bowl and check Fido's teeth.
              Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by plumber:
                Rick is correct. Though the ToTo brand came out long after I quit service work the technology has not changed much.

                One other thing to check: If after determining that the flapper, ballcock, and re fill tube are not causing your problem check the rubber seal beneath the flush valve. Not the tank to bowl gasket but the seal under the flushvalve inside the tank. This can be an irritating leak to find, sometimes the china around that hole is slightly deformed and allows a very slight amount of water to weep through. On older toilets sometimes it just deteriorates and fails. The gasket mentioned is only an issue about 1% of the time. Rick covered the other 99%.

                If you are losing water out of the bowl and not the tank put coloring in the bowl and check Fido's teeth.
                "...check Fido's teeth"

                That's funny.

                ps. I would have put 10 smiles, but were only allowed eight.
                the dog

                Comment


                • #9
                  i'll do the food coloring

                  RED 'HAY HONEY, I BETTER SEE THE DOCTOR!"
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    PLUMBER, IS PLUMBDOG THE FIDO YOU'RE REFERRING TO? HE MIGHT BE TOO MUCH INTO HIS WORK. I KNOW ABOUT NOT CHEWING THE FINGERNAILS, BUT DOG, NO DRINKING FROM THE TOILET.

                    10 SMILES. SEE HOW EASY THAT WAS.
                    RICK.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by toolaholic:
                      i'll do the food coloring

                      RED 'HAY HONEY, I BETTER SEE THE DOCTOR!"
                      I thought you were a plumbing contractor (see your post on "Trash Filter"). Toilet repairs should be fairly simple to you.

                      [ 07-28-2005, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: plumbdog10 ]
                      the dog

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by plumbdog10:
                        </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by toolaholic:
                        i'll do the food coloring

                        RED 'HAY HONEY, I BETTER SEE THE DOCTOR!"
                        I thought you were a plumbing contractor (see your post on "Trash Filter"). Toilet repairs should be fairly simple to you. </font>[/QUOTE]Not to split hairs but I believe Tool posted he passed the test not that he had the license. Of course I'm starting to think Contractor licenses are not work the plastic on the wallet cards the State hands out anymore.

                        Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                        I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          UTAH, YOU'RE CORRECT. LET'S START A NEW THREAD ON THIS SUBJECT.
                          UNDERQUALIFIED CONTRACTORS, PLUMBERS, AND INSPECTORS.
                          RICK.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            here we go again dog ! utah is right. i have a gen B in ca. i passed the c-36 2 yrs ago. unfortunately , a complete ***** with consumer affairs nit picked every project contract i issued. i said screw it. and continue to legally pull my plumb permits under my gen lic. as long as 3 trades or more are involved i can legally do them all, as you know. i,ve known about the die trick, and did it on my own toilet 6 months ago. it,s intermitent . so i,ll just replace everything in both toilets.hope this satisfys
                            you dog, but i dought it will! GET OVER IT!
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              [QUOTE]Originally posted by toolaholic:
                              here we go again dog ! utah is right. i have a gen B in ca. i passed the c-36 2 yrs ago. unfortunately , a complete ***** with consumer affairs nit picked every project contract i issued. i said screw it. and continue to legally pull my plumb permits under my gen lic. as long as 3 trades or more are involved i can legally do them all, as you know. i,ve known about the die trick, and did it on my own toilet 6 months ago. it,s intermitent . so i,ll just replace everything in both toilets.hope this satisfys
                              you dog, but i dought it will! GET OVER IT!
                              [/QUOTr]

                              I don't understand. You are saying that you are a plumbing contractor, but the California Department of Consumer Affairs (which administers Contractor License Law in California) is nit-picking your projects? They are not involved with individual projects, other than license law. Please elaborate.

                              Look Tool, I have nothing against you, but there are people who come on this forum looking for real advice. If you want to give advice, you should be qualified. If you are asking how to fix a running toilet you are not qualified.

                              Your contrator creditials (re: the C-36 license) are becoming very questionable.

                              the dog
                              the dog

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X