Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a poor man's propress system? Roto-Rooter won't buy me one Anyone use them sharkbite fittings?

Comment

Originally posted by Theron
      Is there a poor man's propress system? Roto-Rooter won't buy me one Anyone use them sharkbite fittings?
      sharkbite is a poor mans propress, with a bonus. you can take them apart. problem is they are only made in 1/2'' and 3/4''

i have used them in limited applications. so far so good

fitting cost is a little bit more than propress fittings

propress 1/2''- 4''

big bucks

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Bob D.,

I really am not aware of those. I normally use threaded hose bibs, because they can be easily replaced. I have probably used them before, but never paid attention. Live and learn.

Rick,

Those "anti syphon hose adaptors" are required by the UPC, and the inspectors I
        deal with do require them. As a matter of fact, you will not get through a final plumbing inspection on a commercial building in LA or Orange Counties without them.

As for someone stealing them: they have a break-away screw that results in the only way to remove them is to drill out a screw.
        the dog

Comment

All of the inspectors I have ever worked with require them as well. As for people removing them (and they do), the only way to remove them is if they were not installed correctly. The UPC requires they be non-removable. The idea od the break-away screw is if someone removes it it destroys the thread where they cannot get a positive seal with a hose preventing any siphon action.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10
            As for someone stealing them: they have a break-away screw that results in the only way to remove them is to drill out a screw.
            dog, the ones that come with the hose bibb are actually screwd on with a little crimp in the end. the threads are very fine. it's not that someone will steal them, it's that if you remove the built in ones, the thread is not a hose thread. therefore the faucet is useless for a hose.

do you still see the spring loaded 1 way backflow adapters. these were the ones that allow you to tighten them and would spin if you try to remove them.

with a little patience they can be removed without damage.

as far as inspectors go, the commercial plumbing inspectors do look for these on a hose bibb. the combination bmi inspectors don't even look to see if there is water in the line no kidding

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

ps. Bob D.,

After examinig the drawings you posted, I can see that you are refering to frost-proof sillcocks, which are rarily used in my neck of the woods, but I should have realized based on your locations.

Where I stomp around hose bibs are roughed-in by installing recessed boxes, or (for standard hose bibs) stubbing a copper tube out of the exterior wall, and either soldering an mip adaptor and screwing on a fip hose bib, or soldering on a sweat hose bib. I prefer the latter.

But I still thing Josh's post was cheap advertising.
              the dog

Comment

Working...
              X