Replacing Outside Spigots

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Outside Spigots

Well the time has come that I really need to replace my outside spigots. I went and bought some of the nice replacement half turn spigots from HD. the ones you can either screw on or solder. My copper pipe runs out fairly close to the flooring and I really dont want to have to stick a torch into the tight area to solder the spigots into the water system.

Do any of you have any recomendations for replacing spigots that would make the job easier. I really want to avoid soldering. I may also run into the problem of not having enough space to manuever the old copper into the new spigots. One thing I thought I may be able to do is jog the spigot over a few inches then use some kind of compression fitting with a bendable hose that I could screw on to the threads on the inside of the new spigot.

Any advice?

Josh

josh, would a compression fitting work? the possible issue with a compression fitting and a garden hose is that too much force on the hose can jar the comp. fitting to turn. although most all copper stub out to angle stops and washing machine valves are compression.

how about taking home a shiney new propress 100b

how about cutting the copper back a little and adding a coulping with a female adapter. this way down the road you can unscrew the hose bibb?

a picture is worth a thousand $. not sure if you have a frost proof hose bibb?

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I am gonna cut the system back into the basement a little farther and throw it together with propress. I am much more capable of pressing the system together than soldering in tight spaces. Originally didnt think I would be able to use propress because of the tight space. Cutting it back a foot makes the job a perfect fit now.

Thanks,

josh

Comment

Originally posted by Josh
        I am gonna cut the system back into the basement a little farther and throw it together with propress. I am much more capable of pressing the system together than soldering in tight spaces. Originally didnt think I would be able to use propress because of the tight space. Cutting it back a foot makes the job a perfect fit now.

Thanks,

josh
        Great marketing move Josh.

Are you kidding me?. I need to replace my outside "spigots" (real term "hose bib")

Here's a couple of problems I have:

1) I have never seen a sweat/threaded hose bib.

2) You stated these are outside hose bibs, but you do not want to solder inside.

3) Suddenly it occurs to you that you can use Pro-Press. A system that your company has marketed for years.

Give me a break.
        the dog

Comment

Are you kidding me?. I need to replace my outside "spigots" (real term "hose bib")
          Josh,

Boy it must be tough to have all of these cranky plumbers on this Forum. Not to split hairs but:

A bibcock is also know as a hose bibb.

A bib is what one might wear while eating crab legs which have been soaked in butter.

A spigot is what those in the South call a faucet but is now used nation wide but still is not a hose bibb.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10
            Great marketing move Josh.

Here's a couple of problems I have:

1) I have never seen a sweat/threaded hose bib. dog, these are very common in a 1/2'' cts/ mips. i perfer a cxfip and an ips hose bibb.

2) You stated these are outside hose bibs, but you do not want to solder inside. sounds like they are very tight to the wall. good idea for josh not to solder

3) Suddenly it occurs to you that you can use Pro-Press. A system that your company has marketed for years. dog that was my idea

Give me a break.
            how about a little bark

dog, come to breakfast with mark and i and we can have a union meeting over it. ridgid might pick up the tab .

rick.
            Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 04-18-2006, 10:16 AM. Reason: marc to mark (sorry mark)
            phoebe it is

Comment

Alright my "Hose Bibs" are replaced Very happy with the replacements. They are quarter turn on/off and they can be installed with either 1/2" threads or you can insert 1/2 copper into them and solder them in (dont remember the band. bought them from HD. I went with the threads in case I need to ever replace them again.

The worst part of my job last night was finding all the tools I needed. Spent 45 minutes looking for teflon tape.

Yeah I know I should have though about propress right away. Plus I have access to fittings at a big discount ;-) System was back together with no leaks and no fires.

Thanks for the advice and the lesson on the proper term for the Spigots. I had no idea what they were called so i guessed at the closest term. I still have along way to go with the plumbing aspect of DIY.

Heres my cheesy marketing plug for ProPress...

"With ProPress I didnt have to deal with draining the whole system or worry about catching the house on fire soldering between my floor joyces (spelling). ProPress saved me a lot of time and was the funnest part of the installation. No leaks or burnt fingers. To bad ProPress cant keep track of my tools for me"

Josh

Comment

josh, don't tell this to the "dog" he is looking to bite someone real soon

i've been trying to convince the chior about the advantages of propress.

too bad most in the chior are deaf

this is real impressive when you need to change out a 3'' or 4'' valve in a commercial building.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

ProPress is the only copper pipe joining I have done so far so I dont have much to compare to. There are thousands of believers like you Rick people are naturally skeptical of new ways of doing things... it just takes time for people to try it then they are hooked. For the job I did last night in all honesty joining the pipes was by far the easiest part. much easier than finding my teflon tape.

plumbdog, I dug through my garbage and found a tag off the sillcocks I installed. They are 1/2" MIP and 1/2" Solder

http://www.homeandbeyond.com/prod-0099945.html

Made it as easy as could be with the right fittings.

Also... in all honesty I thought of propress initially but withough cutting the system back a little ways I wouldnt have been able to get to the crimps. I couldnt solder them in there either so I decided to ask the question on here I wondered if there was some way to do it with some kind of compressiong fittings. After talking with our pipe joining product managers they said I should just cut back the system and install it with propress. If you think it was me trying to market one of our tools then please feel free to read all of my other posts and tell me how many times I have tried pushing one of our products. I really dont know much about plumbing. I am just a computer nerd. I do know how to install sillcocks/hose bibs now. I'll try and take some pictures of what I did last night and post them so you know I wasnt making this up. :-p

Josh
                  Last edited by Josh; 04-18-2006, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Josh: We carpenters on the forum don't care if you call the spigots, but "joyces" is a no-no! "Joist" is the proper term.

Comment

Sorry I am still learnin. at least it was close

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid
                      Josh: We carpenters on the forum don't care if you call the spigots, but "joyces" is a no-no! "Joist" is the proper term.

Comment

"Alright my "Hose Bibs" are replaced"

Do your shiny new hose bibbs have vacuum breakers???
                        they are pretty much required everywhere.

Well, maybe you could get away doing a like for like replacement and continue to be 'grandfathered' since it sounds like these existed prior to a plumbing code being implemented in your area.

I know you mentioned where you live in another post but I don't remember. If it's someplace where it gets cold we should be talking freeze proof hose bibbs or wall hydrants w/Integral Vacuum Breakers?

Is this something like you bought?

If so you need a screw-on hose bibb vacuum breaker such as a Watts #8BI

What I am really thinking you bought (or should have) is this:

Dog. I am surprised that you have not come across the sweat/threaded hose bibbs before. The ID of the threaded end is sized to fit over 1/2" copper and they can be soldered on like any other sweat valve. One advantage is they offer some resistance to 'disappearing' in the not so nice neighborhoods as they can't be removed as easily.
                        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                        John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

bob d, those anti syphon hose adapters are the biggest joke. i remember having to install hundreds at a job site 20 years ago. idoubt that they are still there. they sing when left on and hose nozzle off. they limit the flow and they typically don't last too long. the ones that come factory installed on the hose bibbs are even worse. the threads that attach them to the bibb is a very fine thread that is not compatable with a hose. so don't try to remove them.

the interesting thing is that inspectors seem to be looking the other way on these items.

i started to switch over to 1/4 turn ball valve hose bibbs. full port/ no packing to adjust. great for water heater drains and washing the car from across the street

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

The sillcocks I installed had the vacuum breakers installed already I believe. I think they are built into them. I never thought about the advantage of soldering in because people couldnt swipe them. That would make a huge freakin mess in the basement if someone decided they wanted to steal em.

Its so nice not having to mess for 2 minutes trying to get my hose bibs to stop dripping. I think it will help my foundation stay dryer as well. A constant slow drip all summer can really screw up the basement walls.

Josh

Comment

" those anti syphon hose adapters are the biggest joke "

Residential hose bibbs are also one of the majority contributors to backflow contaminations incidents, mostly because homeowners do stupid things with the garden hose, lke leave it leaying in a bucket which contains some chemical which can be siphoned back into the home water system should a pressure drop occur. More than one person has been killed in just this way.

My hose bibbs have integral vacuum breakers, and they work fine. Yes, there may be some restirction associated with them, you don't get something (protection of your water supply) for nothing.
                              "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                              John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Working...
                              X