Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water heater: CLANK, CLAnk, clank...

Hi all,

I have a three year old, 40 gallon, gas, Hot Point Powervent water heater that is making a loud clank inside whenever a COLD water source is shut off. Hot water sources do not cause the noise.

The noise sounds like a pendulum repeatedly striking something inside the water heater. It gets softer and stops after four or five clanks.

This is a ranch home with copper pipe. One bathroom. Water pressure is 65 PSI. No PRV that I’m aware of. No expansion tank.

I tried installing point of use water hammer arresters on all of the faucets, toilet, washing machine, etc., but they had no effect.

If I close the cold water supply valve on the water heater nearly all of the way, the noise is still there, but almost imperceptible.

Because the water heater is fairly new, I have to assume that the drip tube is plastic, so that only leaves the anode rod to make the noise.

Any ideas? New water heater?

Thanks everyone.

I would pull out and inspect the dip tube and then anode rod.

Comment

water hammer

i dont know exactly how things are done in the usa.
      if the control valve to the cold water feed to the heater is a loose valve type that might be the problem. Wedging the washer into the stem of the valve might help. A fixed washer in other words.
      I dont think those point of use hammer arresters are any good.

Comment

do you have those heat trap nipples in the hot and cold connections to the heater. if so throw those out and install brass nipples. the little balls will stick and cut off the flow. it also might be the clanking noise also make sure the temperature is not too excessive. it could be a thermal shock you hear

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Honestly, I've been procrastinating on taking the anode rod and drip tube out because the ceiling is too low to remove them without emptying the water heater and tilting it quite a bit. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet... I had planned on pulling the anode rod temporarily and installing a plug in it's place to see if the noise went away.

Plumber Rick: According the documentation that came with the unit, the heat traps are internal to the water heater (factory installed). They warn against using another set during installation. The water temperature is between 118 and 120 degrees.

Comment

utahj, an anoid rod is not a source of noise. a dip tube is not a source of noise. the heat trap nipples are a source of noise and eventually plugging or sticking. this is a better source of problems than the other things that you mentioned.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by UtahJ
              Hi all,

I have a three year old, 40 gallon, gas, Hot Point Powervent water heater that is making a loud clank inside whenever a COLD water source is shut off. Hot water sources do not cause the noise.

The noise sounds like a pendulum repeatedly striking something inside the water heater. It gets softer and stops after four or five clanks.

This is a ranch home with copper pipe. One bathroom. Water pressure is 65 PSI. No PRV that I’m aware of. No expansion tank.

I tried installing point of use water hammer arresters on all of the faucets, toilet, washing machine, etc., but they had no effect.

If I close the cold water supply valve on the water heater nearly all of the way, the noise is still there, but almost imperceptible.

Because the water heater is fairly new, I have to assume that the drip tube is plastic, so that only leaves the anode rod to make the noise.

Any ideas? New water heater?

Thanks everyone.
              I didn't notice that it was just the use of cold water that caused the noise...very strange, indeed.

Can you "rock" the water heater and generate that noise that you hear? If so, maybe its just the baffle inside the water heater, in the internal "chimney" that is rocking back and forth due to unlevelness of the water heater. The baffle should seat into slots.

Should be easy to check...just a thought.

Comment

Working...
              X