Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipe Bursting

Rick,

I think I understand the concept of pipe bursting but what type of pipe material is used? Is the pipe stiff enough a large root would not crush it?

As my schedule stands now I am either working in Nevada or Utah through October 13th and then I go under the knife on the 13th and will be out of service for a little bit. Unless I get a cancelation I will only be home long enough to check the mail on Saturdays. Keep me posted on your pipe bursting jobs and if I miss this one we'll get together at another time.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

mark, the pipe of choice is high density polyethlene(hdpe). this is sdr17. black pipe. very similar to the yellow gas pipe sdr11. the pipe is approx. 1/4'' thick and i've hit it with sledge hammer. it bounces back with no damage. the pipe is butt welded at 500 degrees.
    my equiptment will also pull abs and no hub. although i've never tried this, i know a few who have. once they purchased the fusion equiptment for poly, they said they will never use abs again. i believe the way they handled the abs in pulling, will pose an issue as roots find their way into the glued joints that were never fully cured. also any offsets, 45 bends would have put too much strain onto the foam core abs pipe.
    when a 45 offset is encountered, it is burst into a very long sweep gradual offset. infact when a camera is run through the new line, you can't see the bend.it is so suttle and smooth that it doesn't stand out. in fact a pull of 140' last year, with 3- 45 offsets was so clean that the camera pushed so easy it felt like a 50' push.
    the connections to the exisiting pipe are done with mission bands. although i've seen an installation done by an "underqualified plumber, contractor" glue a abs pipe to a hdpe with a abs coulping. once again as roots approach this joint it will fail.

under the knife? first toolaholic then you. at least it is sch. does it go back to your ladder accident?
    best of luck and i'll give you a date when i coordinate with both parties and my wife. (the other plumbing contractor, homeowner, & the boss?)

keep you posted. good luck on your surgery.

rick.

Comment

Rick,

Thanks for the info. Yes the surgery is to repair damage from my ladder accident.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Pipe bursting sounds interesting. It is a process never even discussed in this area so I am not sure if it would be allowed here at this time. But is there anyway you can post some pictures or links to pictures?

There is a large pipe liner company across the river from where I am. They were quite busy in the 90's but their popularity fell off when a lot of the pipes they had lined still needed to be excavated a few years later.

I think I have a good idea of what you guys are doing but since I have never seen it done or even read of it in the trade publications here its possible that I am completely wrong about your process.

If it works as I think, it would be an extremely profitable thing to be doing. Particularly in a very old and established industrial area where excavating a 150 ft line can often mean a half million dollar job. Even if it only delays that expense for a decade it would still be a viable alternative.
        Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

plumber, pipe bursting kind of goes like this.

first off you need a video of the pipe to locate the starting and ending points. you need to locate the tee's too. also any 45's.
          pipe bursting is best if there are no tees. this way you don't have to dig up to reconnect them. if a tee is there, i would pre dig it and pull, burst right through it. then fall back after the pull to reconnect to it.
          the original line needs to have a cable or a chain fished through it from point start to end. this will then attach to the bursting head or cone. basically it's a tapered hardened steel nose cone that breaks the original pipe and forces it into the surrounding ground to make room for the new full size pipe. typically hdpe.
          at the pulling end is the hydraulically powered puller. basically a very strong, winch. my pulls at up to 40 tons of pressure. this assy is anchored against the ditch of the exit hole that you dug to access the sewer. the ditch needs to be 2' wide x 4' long x 6'' deeper than the sewer line. the entry hole is basically any size that gives proper access to the pipe to allow for reconnection. as the chain or cable pulls in the nose cone, the hdpe follows in behind the cone. 45's are burst into long radius bends. 90's are not recommended. the pipe is pulled at approx. 2'to 5' per minute. depending on conditions. my machine has the cones and strength to pull up to 6'' pipe and enough chain for 150' in 1 pull.
          since the pipe is fused together just like poly gas pipe, it is considered seamless. a sledge hammer bounces off it. i've done this as an example for clients.
          once pulled through an ordinary mission, fernco band is all thats required to join to the exisiting pipe. also a new cleanout at both ends doesn't hurt.
          once finished you have a full size pipe with very little drag. the offset's are not noticed in the post video. a water test with camera will show grade.
          relining as you mentioned is only as good as the host pipe. if the pipe is offset, the liner is offset. although the new liner will be very slick and will absorb some of this offset. the host pipe still needs to be throughly cleaned of roots, or the liner will cure with an offset where the root ball was. also the liner takes up approx. 1/4'' of pipe all the way around. the cost of the liner and resins is much greater than the sdr17 hdpe pipe too. the pipe bursting equiptment is more expensive and much bulkier than reliners. although my wife and i can do a complete burts without help. (kind of like beauty and the beast) although digging the entry and exit pits are a little bit of a chore. other contractors who sell my services are the ones who prep the job. i pull the pipe and the rest is theirs.
          as far as pictures go. i take plenty, but not digital. not quite there yet.

rick.

Comment

good luck on the operation Utah ,tool
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
            X