X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dismantling old pipe

I was curious on ideas of unjoining old pipe fittings . How does one go about to free up frozen fittings.
    Jim

It depends on what materials your dealing with and how important it is to keep them intact.

Big wrenches work well.Heating the fitting will almost always do the trick.But if it's old cast fittings on a steam system you may be better off just breaking them.

John
    Felciano Plumbing & Heating<P>http://www.felciano-plumbing.com

Comment

The quickest way with old cast iron fittings is breaking them as mentioned. I use a large hammer held against one side of the fitting and whack the other side with another hammer, usually the 2 lb. ballpein I carry in my tool pouch. The backing up is important if you don't want to break anything but the fitting! Getting broken nipples out isn't too hard though after some experience... but better to avoid! The pipes themselves make good wrenches usually. You can disassemble some amazingly large piping systems with well placed kicks and twists with no tools at all sometimes. The best tool sits on your shoulders. If you are removing old 6" pipe for example, a cutting torch is hard to beat. Good Luck!

Comment

I have to agree with breaking the fittings if you are not going to reuse them, But if you have to save them and they are "stuck" I usually make it up a bit to break it free and then back it off. On mallable fittings I often tear the threads out of the fitting when I try to save them.

Comment

I have to agree with breaking the fittings if you are not going to reuse them, But if you have to save them and they are "stuck" I usually make it up a bit to break it free and then back it off. On mallable fittings I often tear the threads out of the fitting when I try to save them.

Comment

when breaking cast I cover it with a rag this helps keep you safe from flying prats

Comment

IF THE FITTINGS ARE ON SCREW PIPE, ONE METHOD I USE DAILY IS TO FLIP YOUR WRENCHES, PROVIDE BACKUP AND TIGHTEN THE FITTING JUST A HAIR TO BREAK THE SEAL. THEN FLIP YOUR WRENCHES AGAIN AND LOOSEN THE FITTING. WORKS EVERY TIME.

------------------

Comment

For threaded black pipe thats really tuff try using a compound pipe wrench. Great leverage

Comment

If my trusty 24" Ridgid pipe wrench can't undo rusted pipe, I'll usually just throw my 3 foot peice of copper pipe on the end of my wrench for more leverage, and that either works 95% of the time......
                  And the other 5% of the time .... ( SNAP )
                  oops.......
                  that rarely happens though, it's worth the risk..
                  L8R

------------------
                  *The Greek Plumber*
                  S. Tsakopoulos
                  *The Greek Plumber*<BR> S. Tsakopoulos

Comment

Black screwed fittings are so inexpensive, why bother trying to save them? At the cost of labour today, it's usually cheaper to scrap them. Unless I'm just doing a repair, I usually cut the pipe and fittings out with a Sawsall or cutting torch.

Comment

Working...
                    X