X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things that plumbers do that have nothing to do with plumbing

It's funny that you would post about a rifle. While you were posting here I was posting some pictures of some of my rifles on one of the Motorcycle Forums I belong too. One of the guys is out looking for a deer rifle and is asking for advice.

I'm not sure I can post an image here but I will post the list I posted on the other site.:

From the top down:

Weatherby AccuMark – 300 Weatherby Mag. – Not scoped yet

Weatherby AccuMark – 338/378 Weatherby Mag. – Swavorski 3-12X56 scope

Weatherby FiberMark – 300 Weatherby Mag. – Kahles 3-12X56 scope

Weatherby WeatherMark (with AccuMark stock) – 300 Weatherby Mag. - Nikon 3-9X40 scope

Weatherby Mark V – 243 Weatherby Mag. – Weatherby 3-9X40 scope

Winchester Model 94 – 30-30 Winchester

[ 08-17-2005, 12:26 AM: Message edited by: ToUtahNow ]
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

MARK, THINK YOU HAVE ME OUT GUNNED HERE.
    THINK I MIGHT HAVE YOU OUT TOOLED?

JUST BOUGHT A K-50 ON EBAY FOR $200. PLUS $8. SHIPPING. LOOKS CLEAN, NO CABLES. WHAT TO YOU SUGGEST. NEVER USED A SECTIONAL MACHINE. YOU SEEM TO REALLY PRAISE THIS UNIT. DO YOU USE THE 5/8'' OR DRUM ADAPTERS. I BOUGHT IT FOR 4'' MAINS WITH NO GROUND C/O. THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE GOOD FOR A ROOF OR 2'' KITCHEN ACCESS.
    TELL ME THE HEADS UP.

RICK

Comment

Hey how did I miss that K-50 on ebay? It looks like you got a screaming deal.

I use both the cable and the bulb adapters depending on what I'm doing. The K-50 will knock a hole through a main line stoppage but I would use a larger machine to clean the main drain. I like the 5/8" cable for 1 1/2" & 2" lines and traps.

Now back to the guns those are only the long guns I have here in my California home. I still have shotguns and hand guns here and then even more guhns at my place in Utah.

Most of my big tools which I did not sell with my business are in Utah as well. I still have a couple Ridgid 300s and 141s that were just rebuilt by Ense Services before I sold my shop.

I also have some 60" pipe wrenches both standard and compound and an adjustable companion flange ratcheting wrench that will do up to a 6" flange.

Then I have a bunch of wierd old tools that I use to get from Izzy at Edward's Supply (became Amfac Supply). I would go in and Izzy would have a 40-year old tool that they found in the back and he would tell me if I could guess what it was he would give it to me. I was a pretty good guesser so I ended up with some pretty good tools.

Mark

Comment

THE K50 WAS ONLY ON FOR 4 HOURS BEFORE I FOUND IT. THE $8. SHIPPING WAS THE DEAL CLOSER.

MY WIFE LIKES TO GO TO THE SWAP MEET AND MAKE ME GUESS AT THE WEIRD STUFF TOO. MOST I KNOW, SOME IS SO SPECIALTY THAT I'M LOST. PROBLEM IS THEY DON'T GIVE IT TO ME. I NEVER PASS UP A DEAL. EVEN IF I HAVE 3 OF THEM. HENCE THE 7 SEWER CAMS. OR THE 2 NEW K7500 STILL CRATED.

I GUESS THE SHOOTING THING IS YOUR DEPT. MY WIFE IS PRETTY GOOD WITH THE PELLET RIFLE. SHOTGUN TOO BIG FOR HER.
        LAST YEARS FLY FISHING TRIP IN MONTANA WAS A LITTLE SLOW. THE 4 OF US WENT TO WALMART AND BOUGHT A PELLET RIFLE FOR 35.00. THIS WAS MORE FUN THAN THE FEW FISH WE CAUGHT IN 2 DAYS. WE SET UP A MATCH STICK TARGET IN THE HOTEL ROOM WITH A CARPET ENTRY RUG AS A BACKSTOP. SHOT CROSS ROOM FROM 15' AT WOODEN MATCH STICKS. NO THEY WERE NOT LIT. WE'RE NOT THAT CRAZY?

NEXT TRIP IS NEW MEXICO FLY FISHING IN OCT. THEN COSTA RICA IN NOV.

BUT FIRST THE RACE THIS WEEKEND IN PERRIS. 800 HP. OVAL TRACK. STILL ROOM FOR 1 MORE.

RICK.

Comment

Wow flyfishing too. My favorite spots to flyfish are Lee's Ferry on the Colorado and the Bow River in Calgary. I caught a 29.5" brown on the Bow with a Sage 389 LL.

My place in Utah has a creek with Brook and Rainbow trout but they are too small to fish. Then across the highway from me is the Siever River which has Rainbows and Browns which are pretty good.

Last time I was in Perris was for drag boats back in the 70s. One of my sons owned a SuperCross team as a side business and I think his guys raced MotoCross in Perris during the off season.

Mark

[ 08-17-2005, 01:38 AM: Message edited by: ToUtahNow ]

Comment

Utah,

My favorite rifle is a Marlin 45-70, but it is strictly a 100 yard gun (I never scoped it, use a factory front site, with a Lyman peep site on the rear).

My suggestion for a bolt action is the new Savages. Me and a friend shot one at the gun show at Raahauge's, he was so impressed he bought one on the way home. It is a no-frills great shooter. Their new accu-trigger is fantastic, and you can't beat the value.

the dog

[ 08-17-2005, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: plumbdog10 ]
            the dog

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10:
              Utah,

My favorite rifle is a Marlin 45-70, but it is strictly a 100 yard gun (I never scoped it, use a factory front site, with a Lyman peep site on the rear).

My suggestion for a bolt action is the new Savages. Me and a friend shot one at the gun show at Raahauge's, he was so impressed he bought one on the way home. It is a no-frills great shooter. Their new accu-trigger is fantastic, and you can't beat the value.

the dog
              Raahauge's now you're talking. I use to be out there 4-days a week or better when I was handeling dogs. Patrick Callahan at Gameland Kennels was my trainer. I had him train all my dogs until they were 6-months old. I've also gone duck hunting in the private area right against the backside of Prado Dam.

For bolt actions I'll stay with the Weatherbys for hunting. I bought my first Weatherby when Wheatherby was in South Gate on Firestone Blvd.

I liked that I could walk into a factory store and buy anything I wanted. Now that they moved it's not as much fun but I still like their rifles.

I like the Marlin 45-70 for a close range gun. It's light weight but depending on loads it will take down anything in North America. I think it's also about one of the oldest cartridges out there.

Mark

[ 08-17-2005, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: ToUtahNow ]

Comment

Utah,

I've never been a Weatherby man, but I used to work for an engineering company on Atlantic, and we used to go down there at lunch time. It's not there any more?
                the dog

Comment

I don't shoot, don't have the eyes for it. I used to carry an old American Derringer over under 44 mag. Some of the places where I worked then were in terribly bad neighborhoods. I made good money and the street thugs knew it. A truck full of tools is as good as cash to them. When there was only one or two of them a claw hammer in hand would keep them away. More than two and they need to see something a bit more persuasive.

A terrible gun really, the handle too short to control recoil, accurate out to about two feet. I thank our Lord I never had to pull the trigger in anger.
                  Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Plumbdog10,

Weatherby corporate headquarters were in the same building as the store and when they moved the headquarters to Atascadero they closed the store for good. I always wondered where all of those great mounts went to.

Plumber,

I own a Colt Anaconda in .44 mag which I bought as a back up gun for Bear. The pistol has an 8” ventilated barrel and weighs a ton. Even at that size it kicks too bad to make consistent shots.

My 44 has yet to make it into the field due to the weight limits of the float plane. It usually comes down to a choice in weight between the gun or emergency meals. After eating Artic Grayling one year I always opt for the emergency food.

Mark

Comment

UTAH, MY BROTHER BOUGHT A .50 CAL DESERT EAGAL WHEN THEY FIRST CAME OUT. TO THIS DAY HE HASN'T SHOT IT. THE SHELLS COST THE SAME AS A HOUSE PAYMENT. AND YOU CAN'T SLEEP UNDER THE GUN.

ONE DAY I'LL SPRING FOR THE SHELLS FOR HIM. JUST NOT SURE IF ANYONE CAN HOLD IT STEADY. THIS WEIGHS A TON PLUS 8 SHELLS.

RICK.

Comment

Rick,

Those are the type of guns you pay a couple of bucks to shoot at Raahauge's Shooting Fair. Other than that they aren't much fun. I carried a Colt officer in .45 for a while and didn't care for it. If I target shoot just for fun it's with a .22 handgun.

When size matters my son Jon is a CHP officer and carries a 9mm. My son Jared is a special officer for the City of Los Angeles and carries a .40. When my three boys are together arguing over whose gun is badder my son Jaysen reminds them his Apache has a 30mm chain gun at 625 rounds per minute.

The funny part is they are also pretty fair plumbers but none of them was interested in taking over the business.

Jon was a couple of units away from getting his Mechanical Engineering degree but opted to be a CHP officer instead. I just figured they have to live their dream as well.

Mark

[ 08-18-2005, 02:31 AM: Message edited by: ToUtahNow ]

Comment

Utah,

There is no gun that's badder. If you know how to shoot it doesn't matter which gun is in your hand. I grew up with guns, my grandfather taught me to shoot at 5 or 6. I respect guns for what they are. I've been shot at. I am the safest gun owner in the country. I hope you are too, and from your posts, you seem like a person that is that responsible, so I'm sure you are.

I'm not going to make any more responses regarding guns. I myself own about twenty. But, I don't like discusing this topic on a forum reserved for plumbing, Nor do I want to get involved with the "who has the baddest *** gun debate." I'll leave this one to you guys.

the dog
                          the dog

Comment

Okay,

Here is one to bore everyone to death.

I bowled every week for 12 years as a hobby. The ball comes right back to you and you don't have to rent a cart to chase it around. Its cool in the summer and warm in the winter. The beer was always ice cold and they brought it to you. The ball game was on TV and the juke box was never too loud. When computer scoring came out it made things even more relaxing. You could have a good game of poker afterwords, (before all this silly texas holdem became "the" thing to do).
                            Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Originally posted by plumber:
                              Okay,

Here is one to bore everyone to death.

I bowled every week for 12 years as a hobby. The ball comes right back to you and you don't have to rent a cart to chase it around. Its cool in the summer and warm in the winter. The beer was always ice cold and they brought it to you. The ball game was on TV and the juke box was never too loud. When computer scoring came out it made things even more relaxing. You could have a good game of poker afterwords, (before all this silly texas holdem became "the" thing to do).
                              Plumber,

I never got into bowling because even in high school I wore a 13 1/2", and they never had a shoe that fit me. I couldn't get the hang of it because my sneakers didn't allow me to get the slide.

But bowling is one of the great beer drinking sports, and from what I here, a major sosial scene in the mid-west.

Hey man, whatever floats your boat.

the dog
                              the dog

Comment

Working...
                              X