Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Ridgid 330D sump questions

Hi all,

I just purchased the Ridgid 330D pump to replace my old pump. I have a few questions about the check valve and the air relief hole. The manual for all Ridgid pumps say to install a check valve directly to the sump pump. Currently mine is at the halfway point of the vertical run. Will this be okay? Also, the manual does not say anything about drilling the relief hole. Should I still do this for this model and if so, where is the best place to put it? I've heard it's best at the top of the pump (which would be higher than the water level ever gets), and I've heard to install it as low as possible (right above the pump's discharge line). This pump says it will shut off when there is about 4 1/2 inches of water left in the pit, is the air relief hole okay to always be submerged..if so, that would be nice because I wouldn't hear it shoot water out anymore. Thanks to everyone!

the check valve should be installed outside of the pit at a level that is not so high as to let so much water back into the pit when the pump shuts off. typically 1' above the pit is fine. we also require a shut off valve above the check valve to allow for service without spilling all the discharge waste water back onto you.

the air relief hole is required on pumps that don't have one incorporated into it. still not a bad idea even if there is one. the hole should not be submerged as it will not allow the air to burp and can plug easy. usually we drill a 3/16'' hole at the level of the top of pump, still inside of the pit as water will spray when on and below the check valve.

sounds like you've done this more than once, as you have asked all the real important questions

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Rick! When you say "we" are you from Ridgid? I'm just wondering if my model has the air hole somewhere on it. Too bad you are wrong on one thing...I am actually pretty new to this but I learn fast and want to be 100% sure of everything since I'm doing it myself :-P. My previous sump pump is on it's last legs...it drains ALL the water which I know is not good. I just replaced the check valve which I think wasn't working either. Once I put the new one in, I think the sump started to air lock, so I drilled that air hole above the water line. It is really loud when it sprays and I actually rigged up a small pvc elbow on the hole using twist ties so that the water sprays downward and not to the side of the pit and spraying all over the place (it also helped reduce the noise). I just wasn't sure if the hole could be submerged or not. I'd love to avoid the noise of the airhole if at all possible, just need to find out if my model has this built in.

Comment

"we" as in plumber, contractor.

the air hole is sometimes built into the design of the pump. check on the installation manual of the pump you bought. still not a bad thing to have.

if the pump is draining the entire pit, sound like you float needs replacing or adjusting.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

you can drill the 3/16th hole at a 45 degree angle facing downward so that water shoots down into the pit. Most manufacturers recommend the hole to be even with the top of the pump housing. If you don't already have a cover on the pit install one so as to silence the pump. Sometimes i've put a foam gasket material on the sealing side of the lid so that it makes a tighter seal and silences it even more.

Comment

Working...
          X