No announcement yet.

Trap Seal Primers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[ It branches off by a 3/4 x 1/2" tee to the inlet, goes through the primer, some of it leaves through the primer in the form of a drip, and the rest returns to the 3/4" line through the outlet and a tee back into the line (or like I said, it's supposed to).]

Scott,

The above is what I was basing my opinion on. Your line about "some of it leaves through the primer in the form of a drip, and the rest returns to the 3/4" line through the outlet and a tee back into the line ..." I find troubling.

Are you saying there is a tee on the outlet side of the primer?

the dog
    the dog

Comment

scott, just came back in town. sounds like dog is referring to the ppp style of trap primer. 1 inlet and 1 drip leg.
      your primer is a flow through style. based on your last post, i feel that you are not getting enough flow through the primer. the heater is being fed from the 3/4'' line. you installed a bypass tee that then reconnected to the 3/4'' heater. sounds like too little flow from the 1/2'' bypass. a quick fix would be to throttle down the 3/4'' between the 2- 1/2'' tees. thus forcing more flow through the 1/2'' line. although this is not the best way to rough in these primers, it might be your only way out at this point. the proper, recommended way is to pipe the outlet side to a fixture downstream. thus forcing the primer to have the proper flow. look at the direction sheet that came with the primer. it should have a flow sheet based on pressure and flow.
      try the 3/4'' ball valve between the two 1/2'' tees first and this should give you a quick fix.

rick.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK:
        scott, just came back in town. sounds like dog is referring to the ppp style of trap primer. 1 inlet and 1 drip leg.
        your primer is a flow through style. based on your last post, i feel that you are not getting enough flow through the primer. the heater is being fed from the 3/4'' line. you installed a bypass tee that then reconnected to the 3/4'' heater. sounds like too little flow from the 1/2'' bypass. a quick fix would be to throttle down the 3/4'' between the 2- 1/2'' tees. thus forcing more flow through the 1/2'' line. although this is not the best way to rough in these primers, it might be your only way out at this point. the proper, recommended way is to pipe the outlet side to a fixture downstream. thus forcing the primer to have the proper flow. look at the direction sheet that came with the primer. it should have a flow sheet based on pressure and flow.
        try the 3/4'' ball valve between the two 1/2'' tees first and this should give you a quick fix.

rick.
        Rick,

Glad your back. Please take over.

I have a number of Canadian relatives I don't understand. It's apparent I don't understand Canadian plumbing either.

I don't understand why they would tie a water heater pan directly into a waste line.

I also don't understand why they would use the old style (I mentioned this in one of my early posts on this thread) trap primer, when there are plenty of available modern drip primers.

But you are correct. If it is the old flow- through primers, you need flow to activate. It seems to me that a water heater supply line shoud provide constant pressure differential.

But, even when I was an apprentice and we installed this form of primer (albiet, I cannot confirm that I installed this particular primer) we did not rough-in a return line on the outlet side of the primer.

If it was me I would quit screwing around and replace them with standard PPP drip primers.

Other than that, take over Rick.

Scott is an excellent addition to the plumbing trade.

the dog

ps. Scott, I come from a German heritage--I do not drink Canadian Beers.
        the dog

Comment

Scott,

Sorry, I misinterprted your post. I thought you were refering to the "outlet" as the discharge branch of the primer. I see now that you were refering to the flow through the primer.

What's intriging to me is the model you are using. Which is not listed in the Watts catalog. I even found a seperate Canadian website for Watts, which does not list it either.

I have e-mailed Watts Canada and requested info which I will pass on to you.

I think that Rick is correct in that it is probably a flow problem. The best bet is to get the installation standards. Without that it's all guessing.

the dog
          the dog

Comment

Scott, I wrote a big long story to you about Trap Guards and I don't type very fast. So if you're still interested in something I did'nt see anyone mention. Please just ask and
            i'll be happy to help. I'm glad to see that at least some of the young guys in the trade care enough to ask questions. Just remember PLUMBER'S protect the health of the nation.
            christopher

Comment

I found this catalog sheet for the 810 on the Watts Canada web site;

http://www.wattscanada.ca/pdf-files/...-WD-MS-810.pdf

Zurn's web site has a cross reference to a Anacon MS-810 Trap Primer, strange that Watts adn Anacon make a Trap Primer with the same model number, maybe Watts makes the Anacon primer for them.

http://www.zurn.com/operations/specd...AnconCross.asp

It's about half way down the page.

[ 09-30-2005, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: Bob D. ]

Comment

I was looking for a trap primer source and ran accross this thread and just by scanning the posts I wondered if the original poster's primer was getting a sufficient pressure fluctuaion at the primer inlet to trigger it. That is a common problem with ours hence the search for an alternate solution. Loooks like we will be using the type fed by the PO plug on the sinks.

Comment

Those tsp are nothing but problems, instead of wasting tones of labour time call the sales rep and have them give you a replacement (different model)

Comment

Working...
                  X