My apartment shower

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My apartment shower

In my apartment the three handle shower diverter leaks around the handle only when it is in the open position, when the shower is on. Since I am a HVAC/R, plumber it would be faster for me to fix it the over worked slow maintenance personal. That and when the cold-water handle leak was fixed the guy that did it said the hardware store that the landlords own didn’t have the center diverter stem parts.
    Andrew S. DeCecco<br />Sunny D HVAC<br />archblackmage@yahoo.com<br />aim archblackmage

If it only leaks around the handle when its in the open position, (which I assume means when you want water to the shower head) Then you can probably just replace the o-rings and repack the bonnet. It is very probable that a hardware company would not stock a standard repair kit for a diverter.

Be sure that your problem is made known to your landlord and not just the maintenance man. Its posible that he just does not know how to repair the diverter. Tell your landlord about it and give him a week or so to address the probem. If he does not have it fixed ask him if you can call a plumber.

If the diverter has been leaking for a long time then the faucet itself may need to be replaced which would mean opening the wall behind the shower, or cutting a hole in the wall inside the shower, or removing tiles and plaster inside the shower. Since you are not the property owner I strongly suggest letting your landlord take full responsibility for this.
    Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

IT'S POSSIBLE IT MIGHT ONLY BE A PACKING NUT. REMOVE HANDLE AND TRIM ESTUCION ONLY. THERE IS A PACKING NUT/ BONNETT THAT IS MOST LIKLEY A PACKING OVER AN O-RING SEAL. JUST TIGHTEN THESE NUTS AS YOU EXERCISE THE STEM. NOT TOO TIGHT OR TOO LOOSE. YOU'LL GET THE IDEA.
      IF YOU KNOW THE BRAND OF THE VALVE IT WOULD BE EASY TO WALK YOU THROUGH IT.

Comment

Yes I mean't when the water is flowing threw the shower head. I will take your advice about not becomeing to involved after I just try to tighten the packing nut.

The set up for my apartment is a plumbing nightmare, the bathroom and kitchen share the same wet wall so, I have a under cambinet water which was just changed this year causing all the cabinets to be replaced and water damage to reach my downstairs neighbor apartment. Then lets say if a pluber would need to change the shower assembley they would have to work under the kitchen sink and around the pipes garbage disposer and my ice maker refrig. hookup.

If only designer's would think about service once in a while, laugh the circuit box is also in a hall cabinet behind my mother's endless supply of coats.

So no easy checking and emergency electrical circuit shutoff could be a pain.
        Andrew S. DeCecco<br />Sunny D HVAC<br />archblackmage@yahoo.com<br />aim archblackmage

Comment

It is very possible to replace that entire valve assembly from the bathtub area by using a remodel plate and installing a single lever shower/tub faucet. If the piping is copper tubing, I would personally prefer to replace the faucet from the tub. Obviously this is not something I would recommend for a novice. It requires precise flame control with special smaller torch tips and a mechanic that has the technique down to a science.
          As for working on your plumbing in an apartment that is owned by another party, I would advise against doing this unless all other avenues were exhausted. If you were to do damage to the property you would not only probably be looking for a new place to live, but would be personally liable for all damages incurred by the owner. The fact that you even have asked the question tells me that you do not have the experience needed to perform this repair or replacement. Call the owner! Good luck!

Comment

Working...
          X