Surge of cold water while Showering

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surge of cold water while Showering

I run an apt complex and at the end of one wing I have to suites that are complaining of a surge of cold water while they are showering. These 2 suites are right above each other.

There shower valves are delta r1300 single lever if that helps? Any ideas what I can do??
    thx to all that give there 0.2$

surley there has to be someone who might know??

Comment

You may have to change out the cartrdges in the faucets. I have had the problem before with moen type valves.

Comment

Originally posted by gobby
        I run an apt complex and at the end of one wing I have to suites that are complaining of a surge of cold water while they are showering. These 2 suites are right above each other.

There shower valves are delta r1300 single lever if that helps? Any ideas what I can do??
        thx to all that give there 0.2$
        My advice costs more than $.02.
        the dog

Comment

ummmmmmmm

It could be that the balancing spool is getting stuck in one position. Sometimes these can be cleaned up and made to work again if you know how to take the cartridge apart. Otherwise it sounds like a replacement is in need.
          One of the best lessons I learned from my father is when he did nothing to help me. I then learned to help my self.

Comment

There is 2 valves to shut the water off and they are going to the shower.Do you think i`m in for troubles if I take that cartiges out?

Do I need to shut the turn the water off to the main riser?

Comment

if the screwdriver stops work, that's what they are there for. don't remove anything if the water is still running. use a proper screwdriver so as to not strip the shut off heads.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

well I changed the cartige and so far so good

Comment

way to go gobby, welcome to plumbing 101

Comment

Dang just recived a complaint from the resident that they still have the same problem.

It`s funny that the resident in the suite below them has the same problem??

Comment

Dang just recived a complaint from the resident that they still have the same problem.

It`s funny that the resident in the suite below them has the same problem??
                      How old is the building?

What type and size of piping serves the showers?

How far are the showers from the water heater?

Are they individual water heaters for each unit or a central system?

When you say a surge of cold water, what temp is the water before the surge and what temp is the water during the surge?

Do all of the showers have flow-restricted heads?

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

5 years

type L 1/2

350 feet with a recirc line

they are all running off 3 200 gallon a and o smith

I have the tanks set at 120 f.I haven`t measured the temp drop but going off what the residents have told me.

yes

Comment

5 years

type L 1/2

I have the tanks set at 120 f.I haven`t measured the temp drop but going off what the residents have told me.

yes

Comment

5 years

type L 1/2

yes
                            There are almost more “what ifs” than anything else in your questions. Assuming the spools on the pressure balancing valves are working you must be getting a blend of hot water and hot water which has lost its temper.

If the units in questions are stacked units and they are both feed by the same ½” line you could have an under-designed system. The fact that these units are 350’ away from the heaters means you have 350’ of piping to inspect. If the system is designed to where there is a circulating loop and all of the branches off of that are dead-ends you could be aspirating water which has lost its temper from one of the dead-end branches. In that situation the mixing valve would not react to the change in temperature because the pressure would not change.

I think if I were trouble shooting the problem on the job I would be using a thermometer and measuring some temperatures from all the units on that end of the complex. I would also check to see if there were any mixing valves which might be leaking from the cold to the hot. You may also want to consider renting a recording thermometer and watch the branches to those showers over a couple of day period.

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

i have also seen this sort of thing happen when the showers have flow restrictors or are hand held units too. the valve is allowing more water to pass through and the head is so chocked down that the water will end up mixing in the system, instead of coming out of the head. usually a pressure drop on 1 side is the cause.

try removing the flow restrictor on the unit that seems to be having the most complaints and see if this helps with the problem. if it's a hand held, remove the hand held and install a regular head instead.

once again too many what ifs.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X