X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grease trap in retaurants

I have a customer with a grease problem. I believe his grease trap is missing parts, The bafling seams inadequate to prevent grease from leaving with effluent. I will probably talk him into replacing the trap with a new inexpensive unit I saw online at www.greasetrapales.com. I'm wondering why his pre-rinse sink is not on the greasetrap. When I change the grease trap, I could easily swing it onto the grease trap. The pre-rinse sink must be a significent source of grease.

Several reasons : The grease trap is under sized and/or the mechanical grease trap is missing the flow restrictor. Grease traps are sized by: number of meals per hour x waste flow rate x retention time x storage factor = interceptor size. Also, if the mechanical grease trap is missing the flow restictor ( a tee like fitting before the inlet side ) the water may be traveling too quickly through the trap and not allowing it to trap the grease. As for the pre-rinse, it would be a good idea to have this go through the trap, however keep in mind the sizing factors. I just did a restaurant that had a 200 person occupancy, two floor drains and one floor sink which served a dishwasher and three comp sink on the grease line and the city made me put in a 1800 gallon grease interceptor. Don't ask me why. Good luck.

Comment

It seems that all over the country, cities are getting pissed at grease in their mains and sewage plants. Is there a trend to require that the entire restaurant, minus the bathrooms, be on a large in floor greade trap? My customer doesn't seem to want to solve his problem, just get someone to get his landlord off his back. If a grease trap picks up every sink and floordrain, then no matter what the staff does, the grease is recovered. After seeing this mess, I settled on a compromise where he cleans the grease trap weekly, and I clean it monthly, and hand clean the owner's septic monthly to prevent carryover into the drainfield. He tells me that when it rained heavily he had a backup, making me think that the leachfield is already damaged from poor grease control. The leachfield is completely covered in asphalt.

Comment

Working...
      X