X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drum Trap

I was told that I must use a drum trap for my new shower/tub. I just replaced my old tub. But I read that these traps are not allowed anymore buy national code. I live in Maine, any help on this would greatly appreciated.

drum-trap

Drum-traps were a plumbing practice for pre WWII construction and a bit into the early 50's.They are usually composed of lead,brass,copper or cast iron,any-way it is an out-dated fitting in my neck of the woods.The lead drum-traps make for ammunition and fishing anchors,while the copper and brass make for a profitable trip to the scrap-yard.Unless there is some special local code in Maine requiring a drum-trap you should change to 1.5"sched 40 pvc or abs or chrome plated brass p-trap with waste arm properly vented.Drum-taps have always been a night-mare for future maintinence of the tub draining properly.

Comment

...and don’t use whomever told you to use this as your plumber or for any additional plumbing advice.
      One of the best lessons I learned from my father is when he did nothing to help me. I then learned to help my self.

Comment

Originally posted by brandypondme
        I was told that I must use a drum trap for my new shower/tub. I just replaced my old tub. But I read that these traps are not allowed anymore buy national code. I live in Maine, any help on this would greatly appreciated.
        Actually a drum trap is not illegal but it is only allowed under special conditions. You see a lot of them in jewelers and craft shops. In the case of a jeweler it is used to catch any precious metals which may wash down the drain. In a craft shop it might be used at the ceramic table to seperate the clay when you wash your hands. A drum trap would not be used in a combination tub & shower.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Thanks For The Info

I would like to thank all that have replied to my question. Thanks again and have a nice day.
          Roger

Comment

Working...
          X