How to use strap wrench?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to use strap wrench?

I'm trying to get a shower head off, but the pipe it's connected to keeps twisting when I try to unscrew the shower head. I was told to use a strap wrench. I bought one, and now I can't figure out how to use it. Any good visuals online? This shouldn't require a manual, but this is not intuitive for me.

I found http://www.ridgid.com/catalog/11.html and I think I figured it out. Still doesn't work - pipe keeps slipping as I try to unscrew the shower head. What next? Vise grips?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comment

If the part is going to be replaced use channel locks.If your going to reuse the part you can try wrapping it with a rag so the channel locks won't damage the finish.Ridgid also has channel lock pliers with protetive sleeves that will work.

Good luck.

John
      Felciano Plumbing & Heating<P>http://www.felciano-plumbing.com

Comment

If the whole thing spins and you must use a tool on the finished surface, then check this first. Most likely the "pipe" goes into the wall a bit for the threads to catch. Spin the whole thing off, and use your wrench are close to the threads as you can with out touching them. If you leave any scratches they should be hidden behind the finished surface when you re-install.

Comment

Hold the pipe that spins close to the wall with a pipe wrench, so if you scratch it a little, the escussion will cover it, then undo the shower head with another pipe wrench....

------------------
          *The Greek Plumber*
          S. Tsakopoulos
          *The Greek Plumber*<BR> S. Tsakopoulos

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stsakopoulos:
            Hold the pipe that spins close to the wall with a pipe wrench, so if you scratch it a little, the escussion will cover it, then undo the shower head with another pipe wrench....

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Works for putting them on...works for taking them off...

Comment

TRY WETTING THE STRAP WORKS FOR ME.OLE THE ROOTER MAN.

Comment

Working...
              X