X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NG lines for dryer

I want to move our laundry room into the garage. The water pipes and drains are easy. However, I just remembered that I have NG for the dryer. We're moving it next to the water heater, so there is a gas line in the garage already. My question is this:

There is an 8" extension pipe and cap, connected to a TEE on the water heater. One end of the TEE goes to water heater, another to the source, and other side is 8" pipe with cap. Can I use that connection for the gas dryer or do I need to put in another TEE somewhere else to connect the dryer?

And one more question; is there anything wrong with tapping off of the water heater source and supply lines for the water? That's what I was going to do, but I figured I'm in here so I might as well ask if there are any down sides to it.

Thanks,
    Steve.

I'll preface this reply by saasying that I am not a licensed plumber. But if I understanf your explanation, the "tee" provides for a drip leg. That leg should not be used as a gas source for any other appliance. The best course of action would probably be to pull another supply from the header that goes to the hot water heater. Here in the northeast, without exception, every building inspector I have encountered wants to be sure each appliance is receiving an adequate supply of gas to ensure proper operation.

As to your water source question, are you suggesting pulling your washer source water from connections before the hot water heater? If so, what will provide hot water to the washer?
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by shalford
      I want to move our laundry room into the garage. The water pipes and drains are easy. However, I just remembered that I have NG for the dryer. We're moving it next to the water heater, so there is a gas line in the garage already. My question is this:

There is an 8" extension pipe and cap, connected to a TEE on the water heater. One end of the TEE goes to water heater, another to the source, and other side is 8" pipe with cap. Can I use that connection for the gas dryer or do I need to put in another TEE somewhere else to connect the dryer?

And one more question; is there anything wrong with tapping off of the water heater source and supply lines for the water? That's what I was going to do, but I figured I'm in here so I might as well ask if there are any down sides to it.

Thanks,
      Steve.

I'm glad you came here to ask before you did anything.

The water lines and gas lines are probably Okay to tie into but I would need more information on the gas line to tell you for sure if it has the capacity.

The major issue:

The dryer vent is an environmental vent (moisture vent) NOT a combustion vent. The dryer vent must be run to the outdoors and terminate with a backdraft damper. Had you connected the dryer vent to the water heater vent it would have filled up with lint and may have started a fire. The two vents are very different animals.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

you cannot use the drip leg for your gas connection. replace the 90 at the top of the drop with a tee. no screws in dryer vent.
        UA Local 666

Comment

Originally posted by shalford

Thanks,
          Steve.
          Steve what is 8" pipe and cap is this the gas line or the flue pipe off the heater.

for your water you can put a tee in the hot & cold lines going in & out of the heater . put a ball valves below each tee to isolate the heater and put ball valves on the lines to the washer . that way if you use a washer machine type valve and it goes bad you can still shut off the water.

let us know the size of the gas line and the BTU's of the water heater and dryer to make sure there is enough gas like mark is asking.

and you should use hard pipe or aluminum flex for your vent pipe not the plastic type.

i hope this helps some charlie
          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

where i am each NG appliance must have its own shut off valve for the gas supply.
            UA Local 666

Comment

Thanks everyone.

The water heater says 32,000 BTU/Hr., and the dryer says 22,000 BTU/Hr. I think those are the right numbers you're all looking for. And both the water heater and dryer have 1/2 piping with 1/2 flex from the hard pipe to the unit.

After seeing some of the responses, there are definate advantages to putting another Tee and shutoff valve for the gas dryer. That's the best bet, I think.

Thanks for everyones concern about the exhaust vent, but I was going to put it seperate out the side of the house. Being in the electrical field, I've seen my share of stack fires from people joining to exhausts that don't belong together.

Thanks Again.

Comment

this may help
                http://www.propane-generators.com/natural-gas-chart.htm
                Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Macplumb

You Should Have A Licensed Gas Service Person Check Your Gas Supply
                  What "most" Homeowners Do Not Know Gas Volume Is Very Important
                  There Is Only Appox 2-4 Onces Of Pressure That Is So Low That We Measure It In Inches Of Water, This Is Very Important Because If You Pull Too Much Gas Though Small Pipe You Will Cause Other Burners In House Not To Burn Correctly, This Can Cause Carbon Moxide Posioning
                  To Any And All Members Of Household

Comment

shalford
                    If you want to tie your dryer into the dirt pocket (as we call it) that is ok as long as you can put it back on under the tee for your dryer. this doesn't solve your problem of possible starving. Check the size of your gas main where the dryer tied in before. if it is 1/2 inch there and the hot water tank is downstream it shouldn't be a problem. if it is 3/4 it could be a problem. if you tie the cold water in directly above the hot water tank do it above the check valve. if you do not have one get one because the hot water will creep up in the cold water line.

Comment

In NJ the drip leg is required last I knew.
                      Plastic dryer vent hose is not allowed in NJ, must use metal.
                      1/2" pipe is too small to feed more than one gas appliance, you should drop back on the gas line to a point where you have at least 3/4" pipe.

Ideally, you should get a licensed plumber to do the gas line, the other stuff might make a mess if something goes wrong, but a mistake on the gas could end up killing you or someone else. While the plumber is there he might as well do it all huh?

How bad can it get? When I was 11 there was a new house built down the street from me. It was an all gas house (the gas vs electric war was on in the 60s). OK, so the house is finished and the owners move in. Two weeks after they move in the go on vacation for a week (I remember all this because they were on my paper route). So they have been gone about 5 days and one morning we hear a loud muffled boom like sound. Few minutes later the Fire Dept is racing down the street. Turns out there was a leak in a gas line in the kitchen. The gas leaked from the range and fell to the floor where it traveled to the utility room which was a half level lower. Once the concentration got into the explosive range the pilot on the water heater set off the gas. It blew whole walls out on three sides of the house. It also blew the windows out on the houses on both sides of their house. The walls were laying on the ground like someone had reached over and just folded them down, which doesn't say much for the quality of the connection between the walls and roof does it? The curtains were still on the hangers on the windows. It was weird.

So the moral is if you screw up it could be costly. In this case no one was home, you might not be so lucky.
                      Last edited by Bob D.; 08-18-2006, 08:22 AM.
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D.
                        Turns out there was a leak in a gas line in the kitchen. The gas leaked from the range and fell to the floor where it traveled to the utility room which was a half level lower. Once the concentration got into the explosive range the pilot on the water heater set off the gas.
                        bob, was this a propane installation?

an explanation to all non plumbers

propane is much heavier than air and will settle. natural gas is lighter and should escape to a higher level

be careful when lighting a propane bbq. if it doesn't light quickly, the propane will collect at the bottom of the bbq and will light with a bang.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

It was NG, so it was most likely the other way around, i.e, the water heater leak was set off by the range pilot. I remember distinctly that they had one of those gas lights in their front yard. The Gas Co. used to give them away on a new hookup and they charged a low flat rate per month for them.

It was 42 years ago and as I said I was 11 at the time, so I probably have it backward

Either way (NG or Propane) its nothing to fool with.

Bottom line, he should seriously consider hiring a plumber and get it done right the first time, you don't get a second chance with this stuff
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                          X