flare fitting question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flare fitting question

I have a Natural Gas BBQ that i would like to temporarily remove to replace some deck boards underneath it.

It is connected to the gas line with copper tube through the wall of the house and flare fittings. Are these fittings reusable? If I take them apart will they reseal or is the copper tube in the flare crushed as much as it is going to? Will I have to cut it off and do a new flare?

The short answer is this:

The flare fittings should be fine, if you use a flare wrench (the prefered wrench), the right end-wrench, or at minimum a Crescent wrench. Do not remove it with pliers. If you do it will squish the brass fitting and it will leak.

But, a larger question is what type of natural gas you use in St. Louis, and is it compatible with the type of copper you have? Does your local code allow this?

I would seriously check this. You and your family deserve this.
    the dog

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10

But, a larger question is what type of natural gas you use in St. Louis, and is it compatible with the type of copper you have? Does your local code allow this?

I would seriously check this. You and your family deserve this.
      i agree with dog there are a lot of things that can go wrong with the copper pipe.
      in pa you can use copper for propane not natural gas .

i still do not like copper pipe for any type of gas but thats my 2 cents
      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

copper was used for many years here for gas. infact i still come accross it buried in the ground from meter to house.

depending on the hydrogen sulfide content, it can be used. infact propress makes a line of fittings that are for copper gas.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10
          The short answer is this:

hmmmm

As a matter of fact the gas co. ran new yellow plastic lines from the street to all the meters in my neighborhood last week. I asked what they were replacing and they said old copper.

When they turned the gas back on they came in to relight the pilot lights and inspect all the appliances. I'm sure they saw this (the guy down the street needed a new furnace).

The BBQ does look kind of Mickey Mouse however. It has a big saddle on a 1" black pipe. This goes into a rusty 90 deg fitting and into a flare fitting and copper tube. Would a proper installation be a Tee, 1/2 inch black pipe through the wall under the deck, and into a stainless steel flex tube into the BBQ?

Comment

Working...
          X