X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stilson jaws movable

The fixed or lower jaw(s) on my several Stilson wrenchs appear to be attached to the body of the wrench by a pin. This suggests that they should rock back and forth. They are currently rusted in place. Am I seeing correctly? Thanks.

Originally posted by skarn
    The fixed or lower jaw(s) on my several Stilson wrenchs appear to be attached to the body of the wrench by a pin. This suggests that they should rock back and forth. They are currently rusted in place. Am I seeing correctly? Thanks.
    On most pipe wrenches the lower jaw does not move. But there have been numerous designs through the years.

Are these actual Stilson brand wrenches or are you using that term generically?
    the dog

Comment

On the Stilsons I have there are 2 pins for the lower jaws. I always assumed you could remove them (with some effort) if you needed to put new teeth in. I've never needed new teeth. Every once in a great while I take a small triangle file to them to sharpen them up. In another 20 years I might wear through enough to need them replaced. At that point I'm more likely to just buy a new wrench.

Comment

jaws

I am using the term generically. Thanks for your input.

Comment

Originally posted by skarn
          The pins are there so you can replace the lower jaws when needed.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
          X