X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok plumbers what's your choice?

I wonder what washing machine is the choice of those always working with water?
    Why do I ask this on a tool reflector you ask?
    Well a washing machine is a tool.

I have a whirlpool calypso vintage 2002!!! and it's broken again waiting parts..the good thing it's under an expanded service contract. Just maybe if it breaks one more time the service contracts lemon clause and unable to repair clause may provide a new machine of a different model. but, don't hold your breath as I'm quite confident the service contract folks will weasel themselves out of responsibility! [ok I'm a cynic!]

I have been looking at the myriad of washing machines in the market today and sadly none are like Mom's washer that has been running 30+ years!

Some of the brands I have looked at are meile, samsung, LG, GE, haier, the one from new zealand, Frigidaire, Dyson etc. since whirlpool bought Maytag I have lost confidence in those brands and their assorted sub brands including the Kenmore name.

The washers of today may have a life of 5-7 years and maybe a service life; and maybe an affordable service life of 5 years!

I have yet to find a washer that has good user reviews and all washers have flaws! from walking, to spinning clothes into knots, to not cleaning the clothes etc. And of course service nightmares!

I really would like a washer with a lint filter as I have a septic system and today's lint is not biodegradable!!!! not very good for the leach field

I have looked at LG washers that sort of have a lint/debris filter and I also think the newer GE models may have a future.

I do need a large capacity do do a king size comforter.

with today's water saver type washers and crappy HE detergents getting anything clean or have the garment survive after many washes is not in the cards..the Marketing folks have figured how to keep us buying clothes, soap and appliances....

ok, enough of the rant...

My question is what washing machine do you plumbers find reliable, perform well, and will last 10 years or more?

Since these things use water and plumbers know water I rationalize asking you this question!

Cactus man...Marty in Arizona

A washing machine is not a plumbing fixture.
    the dog

Comment

When a customer asked this question I recommend that they talk to someone who works with appliances since my only link to a washing machine is to hook them to the plumbing system. Sorry but I don’t think this forum may be much of assistance to you.
      One of the best lessons I learned from my father is when he did nothing to help me. I then learned to help my self.

Comment

How about from a plumber's wife's point of view?

We have had the Kenmore Elite for the last 3 years. I think it is FABULOUS! You can fit a King size comforter and all the sheets too!

You can also fit over 20 pairs of dirty,grimey, oily, worked-in-all-day jeans and have them come out like they were worn by someone who didn't do anything all day.

The HE soap isn't so bad. You can buy it anywhere now and it is no different than any other detergent other than it produces less suds. You can also use less of your regular soap if you are attached to it.

The one issue that I have noticed with our dryer and others who have the same machine from the same year is the plastic handle snapped off. It was easily glued back on and I think the newer models are ok.

Joey

Comment

Thank you Joey!

I appreciate your reply it was informative, answered my question, and was polite!

I went to Lowe's, home depot, sears, best buy, just to name a few stores and the "appliance salesmen" well, were not!
          They only wanted to make a sale and get their commission!
          They could not answer any questions like ..how many rpm is the spin cycle?

One fellow at Lowe's when asked about the small port on the front of a Bosch machine..told me it's the service tunnel!!!!
          It is a debris filter and a pump drain line behind the cover!

I left and cleaned the BS off my shoes.

I asked on this reflector simply because I figure plumbers know what is good and bad! I have a plumber friend who runs gas lines and he has strong opinions as to what cooking stoves are safe and not!

For those of you thinking this is an inappropriate posting..please do me a simple favor...
          go into your laundry room and then let me know what washing machine you use..and for those guys that don't do laundry ask your wife if she likes the thing! then let me know so I can compile some sort of data to help decide what to buy and maybe even what bells and whistles to avoid.

Thanks

Cactus-man
          Last edited by cactusman; 07-19-2006, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Hey,

I'll tell you what. I'll get all the guys on the forum togather and we'll meet you down at Lowes. If we get there early enough maybe we can all go to Walmart and we can help you pick out shower curtains. Then we can head back to your place for finger sandwhiches and all watch Oprah.

Oh what a day it will be.
            the dog

Comment

Dog,

I don't know if I resemble that remark or if I should resent it, but I can't stop laughing long enough to decide

Joey,

rick's turn, stay away from the foreign machines parts are expensive and repairs are too. like the wife say's we like the he3. costco has a similar machine made by maytag. you can never go wrong with a product sold by costco.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

We have the Kenmore HE3 washer and HE4 dryer, they are great machines and use far less water than conventional machines, they also spin out at around 1100 RPM so the dryer has little work to do and with the price of propane these days that is a good thing. We are on a well and septic here and have no issues with these machines. We had the smaller Kenmore 3.1 Cu Ft machines for 3 years with no problems, sold them with the house. As with anything else as Sears wait for the sale or go in and tell them you want the last sale price, the manager can do this.

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10
                  Hey,

I'll tell you what. I'll get all the guys on the forum togather and we'll meet you down at Lowes. If we get there early enough maybe we can all go to Walmart and we can help you pick out shower curtains. Then we can head back to your place for finger sandwhiches and all watch Oprah.

Oh what a day it will be.
                  That sounds like a delectable idea Dog. Shall I provide the sparkling water and Caviar? I am so excited! This sounds like it will be a fabulous time. Oh by the way, where do I turn in my man card?
                  One of the best lessons I learned from my father is when he did nothing to help me. I then learned to help my self.

Comment

Originally posted by tnoisaw
                    That sounds like a delectable idea Dog. Shall I provide the sparkling water and Caviar? I am so excited! This sounds like it will be a fabulous time. Oh by the way, where do I turn in my man card?
                    ROTFLMAO. Great reply to the Dog, he just doesn't get it. LOL I have had appliances with all the bells and whistles, along with all the problems they have. I have found that the Whirlpool heavy duty, plain machines do the best job and hold up a lot better than ones with all the bells and whistles. All the extra electronics and controls just give that many more things to go wrong. MHO, and still laughing at the opinionated Dog.

Comment

I don't know if you can get it in the USA, but I af very pleased with ASKO
                      (Asko-Vølund, Sweden & Denmark) A lot of public institutions use ASKO, so even though its the same machine sold to you & me, it's made for proffessional use. It's not the cheapest brand on the market, but we all know about the "cheapest brand thing", & I suppose that the readers of this Forum expect more, albeit at a price. Were this not the case, then companies like Ridgid, Kemppi, etc, would have ceased to exist!

Comment

Originally posted by Someguy
                        ROTFLMAO. Great reply to the Dog, he just doesn't get it. LOL I have had appliances with all the bells and whistles, along with all the problems they have. I have found that the Whirlpool heavy duty, plain machines do the best job and hold up a lot better than ones with all the bells and whistles. All the extra electronics and controls just give that many more things to go wrong. MHO, and still laughing at the opinionated Dog.
                        I agree with Dog. Just because something has water going to it does not mean we are experts at repairing it. My lawn has water going to it but put me in charge of it and it will die within a week.

People need to understand what plumbing fixtures are compared to an appliance. Ask us about a faucet or a bathtub and you will get all kinds of varying opinions. What I’ve installed in the midwest may be different in other areas of the country.

These guys work eight plus hours every day and then are kind enough to volunteer their time on this forum to help people with various “PLUMBING” problems so I thing we should cut some slack here.

Comment

i think it was a general question open to all. i don't think that only plumbers were allowed to answer or give an opinon. hence, " mrs seat down"

almost forgot, she doesn't do my laundry ever since i left blue toilet pills in my shirt pocket.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK
                            i think it was a general question open to all. i don't think that only plumbers were allowed to answer or give an opinon. hence, " mrs seat down"

almost forgot, she doesn't do my laundry ever since i left blue toilet pills in my shirt pocket.

rick.
                            Maybe it was the way I read it but he seemed irritated that we were not able to help him because he specifically said “plumber”. I do stand corrected as far as others reading this and not just plumbers. I think the female perspective would be the most valued here with this question because frankly, even though I sometimes delve into the laundry room and pop some loads in I can’t tell you what brand washer we have. It was in the place when we got here. Though I can tell what faucets we have.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK

rick.
                              Here's the problem Rick. If we just open the froum up to general questions that are answered by everyone, what is the point of an "Ask the Experts" forum? At that point the answers would become irrelevant.

People would ask their questions (what is life?, how long do I cook a meatloaf?, How do I clean a tuna?) and so-called experts would give their opinions (qualified or not).

This forum is far from perfect (if it was would I be allowed to comment?), but it has checks and balances. There are enough plumbing/piping experts to keep it honest.

I don't think plumbers are qualified to give advice on appliances, based on their profession. If someone has additional expertise in this area, they should present it, or not comment on this forum.
                              the dog

Comment

Working...
                              X