Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Basement Bathroom Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Mark I'am working under IPC code.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by freddy
      plumber jay if plumbing fixtures are close as they appear to be. then he could put vent in wall serving lav sink. then you can run 10 feet to toilet and 8 feet to shower from this vent. no additional vents needed, lav would drain into this vent, to make it a wet vent.. That would pass code in my area.

      Freddy in my area what you just said is not to code.
      If the sink is the wet venting fixture it can only wet vent one other fixture. Sink wet vents toilet [B]or[B] shower. ext.
      From the weir of the trap to the vent connection is a maximum of 4' 11" on any size trap.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by ToUtahNow
        "also i did not use purple primer on pipe is this going to be a real problem. not sure if it's required on a non-pressure system. truthfully, this is something i wouldn't worry about. you will be doing a stack test with 10' of head. the blue glue, aka red hot, is a very hot glue that typically doesn't require any primer. "

        Oh yeah of little faith I am disapointed in you.

        Under his code the IPS it is under 705.8.2 while under your code (UPC) it is in the Installation Standards under IS 9.95e1 section 316.1.5. Or better yet it is usually written on the side of the can.

        Mark
        I have to go with Utah, on the question of using primer on PVC drain, waste, and vent piping. It's pretty clear in the UPC.
        the dog

        Comment


        • #34
          I am not sure what type of glue midden used but where i live we have one step glue. this glue is designed for dwv and does not require primer. we use this on all plastic dwv with very good results. maybe the glue midden used was one step.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by PLUMBER JAY
            I am not sure what type of glue midden used but where i live we have one step glue. this glue is designed for dwv and does not require primer. we use this on all plastic dwv with very good results. maybe the glue midden used was one step.
            It appears he used a one-step glue but under both the UPC and the IPC it still requires primer. The rumor is the next code cycle for the UPC (2009) will eliminate the requirement for primer on the one-step glues.

            Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

            I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

            Comment


            • #36
              I used Oatey PVC Cement (gray) on my building drain without priming, and have never had a problem.

              Just be sure to give the inside of the fitting, and the outside of the pipe a quick wipedown with a clean cloth to remove any dirt, sand, grease, etc. and you should be fine.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by ToUtahNow
                It appears he used a one-step glue but under both the UPC and the IPC it still requires primer. The rumor is the next code cycle for the UPC (2009) will eliminate the requirement for primer on the one-step glues.

                Mark

                As a profesional tradesperson you should not follow the code book word for word. You are smart enough to understand what the code is trying to protect and make sure a quality plumbing system is always instaled. This also goes the other way where you can do something that is technically to code but you know what the code was trying to protect is somewhat broken.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by PLUMBER JAY
                  As a profesional tradesperson you should not follow the code book word for word. You are smart enough to understand what the code is trying to protect and make sure a quality plumbing system is always instaled. This also goes the other way where you can do something that is technically to code but you know what the code was trying to protect is somewhat broken.
                  I know you are on the CNPC which is working with the ICC but I am not sure if the CNPC is based in part on the IPC or not. However, when the IPC, UPC and glue companies (including the one-step companies) all require a purple primer you should use a purple primer.

                  I have 180 condo units I am looking at where they did not use primer on any of the PVC DWV. Some of the homes were one-step and some were two-step. I had to run my sewer camera through the cleanout risers in the front of the garages to inspect the under slab DWV and then the other direction to inspect the sewer lateral. Each unit had two cleanout risers and the majority of the cleanout adapters broke loose before the flush plugs unscrewed and that included the risers with one-step.

                  I am not going to recommend a repair of the DWV system related to the glue but imagine if the inspector had called them on their top-out. How many companies could afford to start all over from under the slab through the roof on 180 homes? Regardless of how professional you are your pocket is going to take a hit if the inspector enforces the code.

                  Mark
                  Last edited by ToUtahNow; 10-24-2006, 07:00 PM.
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                  I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    small job.

                    midden your job dosn't sound to big. it may have only taken a few hours for a licenced plumber and it mite have bin faster and cheaper. and imagine the cost of all these plumbers replys if you had to pay for them. Ha. Ha.
                    i'm only new in the forum world. But wow do people get mad in here!

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by ToUtahNow
                      Each unit had two cleanout risers and the majority of the cleanout adapters broke loose before the flush plugs unscrewed and that included the risers with one-step.
                      Mark
                      mark. is it possible that the plugs were installed while the glue was still wet

                      i've seen this with the abs trap unions. what a job to get them unscrewed

                      plastic plugs should come undone real easy if not glued in

                      rick.

                      ps. wasn't pvc glue made before primer now i'm really thinking back 30 years
                      phoebe it is

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK
                        mark. is it possible that the plugs were installed while the glue was still wet

                        i've seen this with the abs trap unions. what a job to get them unscrewed

                        plastic plugs should come undone real easy if not glued in

                        rick.

                        ps. wasn't pvc glue made before primer now i'm really thinking back 30 years
                        Hard to tell Rick but with 360 plugs I think I would have installed them into the adapters before they were glued on.

                        With the primer it is the ASTM Standards which require the primer so the UPC and IPC don't have much of a choice. If a manufacturer could get a glue approved for use without primer on PVC I imagine they could corner the market on PVC glue.

                        Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                        I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X