• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basement Bathroom

hi
    i am looking for a picture of the basement piping that would be in the
    concrete floor,for toilet sink and shower i have my concrete torn up
    and would like to see picture before putting pipe down for referance.
    or tell me were i could see picture.
    thanks

1/4 Inch Per Foot

i am installing a bath in my basement concrete is dug up and pipe is layed
    from 4.0 castiron to shower and toilet with 2 vents 2 feet downstream
    from shower and toilet.the problem i have is i connected aprox 4 feet
    downstream from stack and i can not get more than 1/4 inch slope total in
    4 feet with out my toilet flange setting above concrete floor.i am using
    3.0 pvc shedule 40.any ideas how i can get more slope.i am using the shortest
    90 deg elbow they make.
    thanks
    bob m

ps could not find where to post new thread

Comment

If your not getting a permit for the plumbing work then put it in with what you have, it will most likely work find because toilet only flush with 1.6 gal water. the water will stay with the paper longer with less slope. Even if your getting it permited I would put it in with what I could get as long as it's not back fall your only going 4or 5 feet to main tie-in. Most inspector are not going to get down and see how much fall you have. they go soft on home owner unless you really screw up the install and vent section. Just my opinion
      check out for what the (Dog's ) advise might be freddy

Comment

Originally posted by freddy
        Just my opinion
        check out for what the (Dog's ) advise might be freddy
        i can already tell you what the dog is going to bark out

i would be more concerned at how you vented the toilet. is it flat vented? can you take a few pictures and post them here?

a much shorter take off would be copper dwv. still more concerned about your connection and the venting.

pictures are worth a thousand words

rick.

ps. hope you have rabies shots
        phoebe it is

Comment

I actually saw this post early this morning.

Midden1, I'm with Rick, your venting does not sound right. You need a plumber.

Freddy,

Your advice stinks. Your profile does not list an occupation, I can see why.

Are you suggesting that not getting a permit allows poor plumbing? Do you think that a short radius elbow and a 1/4" of fall in 4' is acceptable?

Your comment that inspectors will not check the grade is both wrong and unethical.

Freddy, learn the trade, then comment.
          the dog

Comment

Venting

rick
            i can not get a picture right now but if you feel venting is
            wrong i will get one as soon as i can.
            i have 3.0 pvc connected to 4.0" drain pipe under concrete going to toilet with a 2.0 vent about 2 feet from toilet on downstream side the vent goes straight up to roof the shower is the same way except it is 2.0" pvc drain and vent is 1.5" it tees in to toilet vent 6 ' up.

Comment

midden1, like i said, a picture is worth a 1000 words. if you can get a friend to help post a few shots. need the connection to main, toilet bend and vent and shower with vent. these would keep us from guessing.

i guess the dog bit the wrong person

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

freddy
                Your venting sounds like it is ok but it is hard to say because if you are not a plumber you can screw it up in many ways. So a picture would be a very very good idea. or call a local plumber out to check it out. You do not want to have this buried under concrete and the washroom finished and find out it wasn't right and have lots of problems with it. Because then you know what you are going to have to do!

Is your 90 a fitting 90 because that will save lots.
                If it is a fitting 90 you could cheat a little with by cutting part of the fitting side so it seats further into the flange. This is not a good idea unless you really have to do it.
                If you do this it will affect your flush by some degree. but not as much as backfall or no fall.

Comment

Plumber jay I am not the one who asked the question it was ( midden1 )
                  Dog stop sniffen the glue can. and re-read my post. I did not give advice. I gave my opinion.
                  this forum is open for everyone to comment. even the likes of you. but because your super dog I'll be banned from the board right. Oh well it's no big loss. freddy

Comment

Originally posted by freddy
                    Plumber jay I am not the one who asked the question it was ( midden1 )
                    Dog stop sniffen the glue can. and re-read my post. I did not give advice. I gave my opinion.
                    this forum is open for everyone to comment. even the likes of you. but because your super dog I'll be banned from the board right. Oh well it's no big loss. freddy
                    i don't think dog works with glue. he's a commercial plumber.

but he might be smoking the pipe dope.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK
                      i don't think dog works with glue. he's a commercial plumber.

but he might be smoking the pipe dope.

rick.

I'm riding a Keytite buzz as I write this.

Maybe my words were a little harsh, but I was really disturbed by Freddy's comment: "If your not getting a permit for the plumbing work then put it in with what you have, it will most likely work..."
                      the dog

Comment

Freddy's comment: "If your not getting a permit for the plumbing work then put it in with what you have, it will most likely work..."

I am referring to the fall of the pipe. The pipe and fittings should 3" PVC DWV
                        In my opinion if it where me I would put it in with that ammount of fall if that is all I could get and take my chances with the inspector. Or he could call a plumber pay 5 to 10 thousand dollars re-lay his whole plumbing system for a simple bathroom in the basement. It's his choice if he gets a permit or not. Not looking for a Dog fight , But i aint your wuppin boy either

Comment

sorry freddy for using your name.
                          But i am with the dog on this own. I think the new low water toilets will have more problems on poorly graded drains. The old toilets would push the sh*t down better than the knew ones.

Comment

Midden1,

Without seeing the vent it is tough to comment on it but a 1/4" fall in 4' will not work whether the inspector sees it or not. You may want to consider a mud-set tile floor which would add 3/4" fall to your line and give you a nice floor to boot.

Good luck-Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Basement Bath Picture

see the picture of new piping attached, vent not complete yet just have 12 inch
                              stubs,i was able to fix my toilet pitch using street el ,if this look ok is thier any special way to cover pipes before pouring
                              concrete
                              bob m
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X